What's new

538 Projects Donovan for 8th most WAR among current players over next 7 years

I'd bet money that Mitchell will be a better player than Simmons over the next 7 years.

Likely I think. If DM ran the point, his passing numbers would be equal, if not better than Simmons. Otherwise, in terms of offensive production and proficiency, I will take DM over Ben any day of the week. Not until Ben learns to shoot. Not saying he won't learn it, but he'll be more deadly as a player if he picks up the skill.

Ben is projected by those numbers to be #1 and Lonzo is going to be #8 and about the same as Mitchell. So I dont really trust those projections. Embiid and Davis should not be that low. They are going to be very good over the next 7 years.

The problem with Ben is that he had a good regular season and put up a lot of empty stats because of his season but we all saw how easy it was for Boston to expose him and make him useless. He is unplayable off the ball. The only way he ends up being #1 over the next 7 years is if get a reliable knock down jump shot. But I guess he might continue to put up inflated regular season stats that help him out.

Likely I think. If DM ran the point, his passing numbers would be equal, if not better than Simmons. Otherwise, in terms of offensive production and proficiency, I will take DM over Ben any day of the week. Not until Ben learns to shoot. Not saying he won't learn it, but he'll be more deadly as a player if he picks up the skill.

Mitchell would not have the same passing numbers as Simmons if he ran the point here in Utah. But he would if he ran the point for 76ers. Their system is different and gets their PG a lot of assists and rebounds. The Jazz system does not, look at Rubios assist numbers. They plummeted this year because of our system. But look at 76ers both of their other PGs got triple doubles when they started.

Mitchell would not have the same passing numbers as Simmons if he ran the point here in Utah. But he would if he ran the point for 76ers. Their system is different and gets their PG a lot of assists and rebounds. The Jazz system does not, look at Rubios assist numbers. They plummeted this year because of our system. But look at 76ers both of their other PGs got triple doubles when they started.

You're right, brain cramp on my part. His numbers would be better than they were by a few. But as you said, different systems and different methods.

How can chris paul have a 7-year upside? he has a 4 year career. Not including full playoffs.

/Snarkin the **** out of crap3

Hey! I kinda sorta got half mentioned in their article :)

Under where it says "How CARMELO Performed in 2017-18" the first link "second-most accurate" links to the APBR contest I won :D

If Joe Ingles doesn't come out as #1 then the stat projection system is broken. Its the acid test.

All these stat models love Tyus Jones... he's fine, but I can't figure out what it is about him that makes his team so much better when he's on the floor. Is it because he isn't Jeff Teague?

All these stat models love Tyus Jones... he's fine, but I can't figure out what it is about him that makes his team so much better when he's on the floor. Is it because he isn't Jeff Teague?

Yes

Ben is projected by those numbers to be #1 and Lonzo is going to be #8 and about the same as Mitchell. So I dont really trust those projections. Embiid and Davis should not be that low. They are going to be very good over the next 7 years.

The problem with Ben is that he had a good regular season and put up a lot of empty stats because of his season but we all saw how easy it was for Boston to expose him and make him useless. He is unplayable off the ball. The only way he ends up being #1 over the next 7 years is if get a reliable knock down jump shot. But I guess he might continue to put up inflated regular season stats that help him out.

You know Ron I totally respect your perspective on this whole Simmons issue (I do seriously).
It might just be the Aussie in me, but something says to me that Simmons is already more important to that team than Embiid. It was clear, Brad Stevens had one goal - shut Simmons down. And shut him down he did. Stopping Embiid was more meh. Simmons has that 'one man' team leader thing which means IF he gets some kind of shot - he is going to be a mini-Lebron within two years.

I also actually think Simmons wet the bed a little in the Boston series. He became timid when really if he wasn't going to shoot he should have kept pressuring the refs by driving. He definitely isn't the strongest player mentally at this point among the new breed. Ice cool Tatum and to a similar extent Mitchell have that DNA. This might be Simmons' most damaging issue moving forward - as hitting a 12-15 ft jumpshot is something he is actually already capable of doing.

538 sucks too. Am I supposed to believe their accurate? I most certainly don't. They intend to just bludgeon readers with whatever they perceive is gonna get a bunch of clicks. All sites are pretty much like this these days. This forum for sure.

I agree with this. The main thing for me is attitude and work ethic. DM has the drive to be great. He's going to be in the gym and watching film nonstop. He's always going to be getting better. Ben seems like he thinks he's already great. He comes off as being somewhat entitled. Like he thinks he just deserves stuff right now. I'd bet on DM's attitude being more successful.