What's new

58th pick - Miye Oni - traded from Warriors

After a game and a half or so (Duke & Memphis), here's what I see:

Good:
- scoring potential: seems to have a bit more than Royce O'Neale (who he'll inevitably be compared with), though, like Royce, success will heavily depend on whether 3-pointers fall
- good court vision and passing: quite impressive at times, seems poised, unselfish
- defensive tools: quick feet when engaged; decent length; occasionally good timing to make big defensive play
- good athleticism: though mostly shows up in space

Less good:
- too casual (led to both turnovers and blow-bys when guarding one-on-one)
- size: though decent size for a two, probably not big enough for a 3 in many situations (looked quite a bit smaller than Reddish or Barrett); not really a tough guy like Royce
- ball-handling: though can probably get by as a two-guard with some development, and can maybe create a little, I doubt it ever develops enough for him to be anything more than a relatively low-usage guy

If you squint hard enough, you can imagine in a couple of years a PG-SG-SF nearly-equal sized trio of Dante, him, and Royce putting hellacious defense on other team's bench units and maybe scraping together just enough offense to get by.

He’s too nice and not hungry enough. My complete and thorough analysis completed in approximately 73 seconds. So book it, my gut is never wrong.
I thought this same thing, but maybe he will be disappointed in life and become a jerk (kind of like Hood)!

After a game and a half or so (Duke & Memphis), here's what I see:

Good:
- scoring potential: seems to have a bit more than Royce O'Neale (who he'll inevitably be compared with), though, like Royce, success will heavily depend on whether 3-pointers fall
- good court vision and passing: quite impressive at times, seems poised, unselfish
- defensive tools: quick feet when engaged; decent length; occasionally good timing to make big defensive play
- good athleticism: though mostly shows up in space

Less good:
- too casual (led to both turnovers and blow-bys when guarding one-on-one)
- size: though decent size for a two, probably not big enough for a 3 in many situations (looked quite a bit smaller than Reddish or Barrett); not really a tough guy like Royce
- ball-handling: though can probably get by as a two-guard with some development, and can maybe create a little, I doubt it ever develops enough for him to be anything more than a relatively low-usage guy

If you squint hard enough, you can imagine in a couple of years a PG-SG-SF nearly-equal sized trio of Dante, him, and Royce putting hellacious defense on other team's bench units and maybe scraping together just enough offense to get by.

Oni is a much more talented and natural offensive player than Royce. He should be a 35%+ 3-pt shooter early on, unless he struggles to adjust to the speed of the NBA game. He may be a straight-line driver when he attacks close-outs, but he's also more athletic and explosive going to the rim than Royce is. I see him becoming our back-up 2-guard by the end of his rookie season, replacing Grayson and Alec Burks from last year.

Whether he gets on the floor will depend on his ability to defend 2s and pick up switches.

Are Jazz going to spend 2 mil for Oni and 1 mil ( I think) for Brantley if they didn't think they have a legit chance to make roster?

Are Jazz going to spend 2 mil for Oni and 1 mil ( I think) for Brantley if they didn't think they have a legit chance to make roster?
They’re making the roster. Question is if they’ll be on a non guaranteed contract, guaranteed contract or a two-way contract. There’s no way the team paid that much to acquire them without planning to keep them - at least for one season.

Oluwatoniloba

not gonna name my kid that. sorry

i'm sure she's a great person. i'm also sure she has a nickname.

i am looking forward to another cool spurs, i mean jazz underdog story.

They paid more to acquire the rights to Oni than they paid in salary to Neto and O'Neale last year. So yeah, the Jazz must think these guys are going to make the rotation.

They paid more to acquire the rights to Oni than they paid in salary to Neto and O'Neale last year. So yeah, the Jazz must think these guys are going to make the rotation.
By extension it tells you what they think of jwf. They could have easily taken Oni at 53 and saved the $2 MM.

Doesn't make any of them guarantees, but you don't throw out millions if you don't think pretty highly of the player.

By extension it tells you what they think of jwf. They could have easily taken Oni at 53 and saved the $2 MM.

Doesn't make any of them guarantees, but you don't throw out millions if you don't think pretty highly of the player.

I can see it with Oni. He has size, athletic ability and can shoot. I can see it with JWF for shooting and athletic ability. Brantley averaged less then a block a game at 6'7" with a 7'+ wingspan. That is suspect to me.

Another way to look at it, the Jazz could have waited out two more picks and sought to acquire Oni as an undrafted free agent. The Jazz could have just called Oni's agent and offered a $2M guaranteed deal 5 minutes after the draft ended. Instead they felt it was worth paying $2M to Golden State to make sure they secured his rights at #58. Seems like they want him.

Last edited:
yeah, that is a concern and even his senior year - for a guy who is that athletic, long and strong, only shot 44% FGs and only 58% at the rim - which puts him bottom third of SGs in the draft. You'd think he'd be a bit more dominant than that with his measurables in Ivy league.

Oni played 3 years at Yale. He's 21 and about to turn 22. I think he was a junior last year.

Cool. guess i've been typecasted as "that told-ya-so guy" anyway; so i'll let it rip.. Once again, i win the award of first to mention the draftee -- Miye Oni if ya really go back and dig thru the draftees thread. Was aware of him freshman year definitely posted back then...

Cy's on ignore, surely he's trying to take credit for hyping Oni way back --- If you actually check reciepts i was first for sure.

The tineframe actually coincides with when i was hyping Pascal Siakam here...

Oni actually if u look back was stuffing the stat-sheet from day 1 at yale, i think in his 2nd game he had like 20 fga's and a bunch of rebounds and assists, was makng his 3's.

my first post was along the lines of "Yale's got a player worth keeping an eye on", which is obviously far from normal, not exactly a recruiting destination...

I'd post the American Psycho "Yale thing" clip, that'd be a nice ending for this post, gonna avoid the fract tho.

Cool. guess i've been typecasted as "that guy" anyway; so i'll let it rip.. Once again, i win the award of first to mention the draftee -- Miye Oni if ya really go back and dig thru the draftees thread. Was aware of him freshman year definitely posted back then...

Cy's on ignore, surely he's trying to take credit for hyping Oni way back --- If you actually check reciepts i was first for sure.

The tineframe actually coincides with when i was hyping Pascal Siakam here...

Oni actually if u look back was stuffing the stat-sheet from day 1 at yale, i think in his 2nd game he had like 20 fga's and a bunch of rebounds and assists, was makng his 3's.

my first post was along the lines of "Yale's got a player worth keeping an eye on", which is obviously far from normal, not exactly a recruiting destination...

I'd post the American Psycho "Yale thing" clip, that'd be a nice ending for this post, gonna avoid the fract tho.

Dickhead you mention every college player remotely talented. Can’t claim any great clairvoyance

Dickhead you mention every college player remotely talented. Can’t claim any great clairvoyance

I dont claim clairvoyance, I just claim that i'm picking up a better signal than most, in an area where ppl seem to have lots of trouble picking up a signal at-all, and thats good enough for me, thats progress.

The signal is tough to pick up because there's so much misdirection and sales-speak/deception buried in fluff or the obvious answer ppl are too distracted in their narrow worlds of personal experience , or simply dont give a **** and prefer to show up to an argument months after it's been decided and try to save face, like you.

It's apparent that there's merit to my claim.. I've explained my methodology and the results are obviously conclusive..

When I dropped Jazzfanz first ever post about Donovann Mitchell, it wasn't to "be first" this isn't some race to the moon situation. It was cuz he did a cool *** dunk that was worth sharing and I knew he was worthy of keeping an eye on at that point...

I train my eye to focus on something you train your eyes to roll at... u have no legs to stand on other than just pure effort.

Last edited:
"Narrow Worlds of Personal Experience" I like that:p, musta been a poet in a past life. Sounds like a good short story.