What's new

A comforting and perhaps slightly terrifying stat

JimLes

Through the first 3 games of our series against the Warriors, the Jazz were outscored by an average of 11 points a game. Through the first 3 games of their series against the Warriors, the Cavs have been outscored by an average of 15.3 points a game.

Even with the stinker of a 4th game the Jazz put up, the Warriors only need to be the Cavs by 15 tomorrow night and the Cavs will have a worse point differential than the Jazz did.

I should mention that the Warriors point differential against the Blazers and the Spurs was also higher, on average, than against the Jazz.

Its hard to tell though. Because they blew us out early each game its hard to know what you can take away from the series, especially things like point differentials.

My only take aways were Quin failed to make the right adjustments to avoid the 1st qtr blow outs and that Hayward is a STUD!

So basically what we've learned from this:

GSW > Jazz > Spurs > Cavaliers > Celtics > Blazers > Everyone else

It's too bad we didn't get to see a healthy Jazz squad against them. I doubt we get swept if Hill a Gobert were healthy. Also would have helped if favors and hood were healthy.

I've notice this as well - on the surface it looks like Utah played them the toughest.

But the more important point is GSW is a big bang team - they go on a 28-5 or so run and then play you even the rest of the game.

Obviously, the key is to stop them from going on that run - the final point differential in terms of how much you lost by is of lesser importance.

Last edited:
The point differential against the Jazz looks better than it actually should be because of Game 1 where our end of bench guys turned a 20+ point victory into a 12 point victory. Still I think it is interesting to imagine all of the teams healthy and how I would rank them. This is what I have

Warriors a
Spurs b
Cavs b
Jazz bc
Houston cd
Boston cd
Clippers de
Memphis de
Toronto e
Washington e

Jazz slowed the pace down and played better defense.

I think you need to give The jazz credit. We are a really good team.

We did as well as can be hoped given the injury issues. If they were banged up and we were completely healthy maybe that tilts things our direction and we take a game or two.

Jazz slowed the pace down and played better defense.

I think you need to give The jazz credit. We are a really good team.

This. I'm not suggesting the Jazz are the second best team in the NBA, especially since until Kawhi went down, the Spurs were blowing out the Warriors at the Oracle. I'm pointing out that this Cavs team, who are for a few hours still the defending champs, have acquainted themselves no better than the Jazz. This is a team featuring a legitimate GOAT claimant in his prime, a 25-year old PG with 4 ASGs under his belt, and a 28-year old 2 time All-NBA second team player who was putting up 25-10 with ease until he took a lesser role on this Cavs team.

The Warriors are basically playing with a cheat code. But the Jazz are definitely in the tier below them. How big the gap is between the Warriors and the second tier is a whole other thing, but I think my actual point is vaild.

This. I'm not suggesting the Jazz are the second best team in the NBA, especially since until Kawhi went down, the Spurs were blowing out the Warriors at the Oracle. I'm pointing out that this Cavs team, who are for a few hours still the defending champs, have acquainted themselves no better than the Jazz. This is a team featuring a legitimate GOAT claimant in his prime, a 25-year old PG with 4 ASGs under his belt, and a 28-year old 2 time All-NBA second team player who was putting up 25-10 with ease until he took a lesser role on this Cavs team.

The Warriors are basically playing with a cheat code. But the Jazz are definitely in the tier below them. How big the gap is between the Warriors and the second tier is a whole other thing, but I think my actual point is vaild.

makes me wonder when players will start making arrangements with each other to form other super teams to fight the Warriors? This off season? Next?

Like any 2 of Paul, George, Hayward or Butler teaming up and joining another star like Gobert/Harden/Lebron/Thomas/Leonard...

Raising any of UTA/SAS/HOU/BOS/CLE/WAS/LAC/TOR to the next level.

Say Harden, George and Paul or Gobert, Hayward and Butler or Leonard, Hayward and Paul...

makes me wonder when players will start making arrangements with each other to form other super teams to fight the Warriors? This off season? Next?

Like any 2 of Paul, George, Hayward or Butler teaming up and joining another star like Gobert/Harden/Lebron/Thomas/Leonard...

Raising any of UTA/SAS/HOU/BOS/CLE/WAS/LAC/TOR to the next level.

Say Harden, George and Paul or Gobert, Hayward and Butler or Leonard, Hayward and Paul...

That's the crappy thing for us. Green can recruit Durant before FA... we need someone to be that guy for us.

I do think Hayward doesn't fit in with some of the other superstar guys and doesn't seem as friendly with those dudes so I'm not sure he's the type to collide with others, but this is exactly the side effect of super teams... other guys will need to band together and small market teams likely suffer as they congregate in more desirable markets.

There's already rumblings. From talks about what will happen to Butler and George, to rumours about CP3 going to the Spurs, to rumours about LeBron joining the Lakers in 2018. This is just your classic arms race at this point.

And one of the reasons that I can't bring myself to root for Cavs against the Warriors is that despite the Warriors being the Voldemort of the league, the monster was created by LeBron 7 years ago. His entitled ego made the league what it is right now.

I should mention that the Warriors point differential against the Blazers and the Spurs was also higher, on average, than against the Jazz.

The Warriors did not have to try against Utah they have to play harder against LeBron. They were coasting against Utah an saving energy.

The Spurs played them way better than the Jazz. If you dont remember, they had this guy named Kawhi Leonard they were up 25 points until he got injured.