What's new

A little optimism from tonight

Mic

I hate the Celtics. Hate them. I live in Boston and have to deal with dumba** Celtics fans everyday. I wanted this win more than any win of the season, but even though we lost I saw a few things that makes the pill a little easier to swallow.

1. Favors is a beast. He is a pimp. I have a new man crush.

2. Al showed more emotion late in the game then any player has all season. The man was possessed; however, if he doesn't hustle back to guard his man on the PNR then his possessed offensive game will go for nothing (much like Boozer's game)

3. I know Hayward doesn't score much, but I actually feel more comfortable with him on the floor compared to the rest of our two guards. He plays decent defense, better than CJ and now better than Raja, he drives the lane well, his jumper is looking better, he just seems more confident than before. That said, if Hayward is your best 2/3 (AK excluded) your in trouble. He is too young to take on the responsibility of being a teams number one 2 guard.

4. AK47 sighting? Yes please.

5. Harris is great at driving the lane and distributing once under the basket, but again, if he can't learn to keep his man in front of him, his offensive game will be for nothing. The early part of the 3rd quarter was a layup drill for Rondo.

6. The halfcourt offense seems to be played at a higher tempo. Players are cutting faster and hitting the lane harder. Not some go through the motions stuff, but real cutting, picking, and passing.

Overall, I see positive signs. This team is not a contender. I don't expect them to be a contended, yet. However, I like some of the things I'm seeing out there and actually am excited to just watch them to grow together for the rest of the season.

Interesting stat of the night:

Bell 26 minutes -20
Hayward 21 minutes +15

I really think of Hayward stays in the game we come closer to winning (or actually win) because he would not have lost Allen the way Bell did for an easy layup and a wide open three.

still not the game difference

No the stat can be very misleading in one game.

But the fact that Favors is a better rebounder, better man to man and help defender and takes up more space is a huge difference. He complements Big Al better than Millsap.

That is the key and he needs to play more. Not just for development but for wins.

Interesting stat of the night:

Bell 26 minutes -20
Hayward 21 minutes +15

I'm cool with Raja Bell being a totally gay man and running with that, but I am not cool with him farting the game away with bricks from 19 feet.

Another one

Favors: +6

Millsap: -6

More Favors less millsap

More Hayward less Bell.

Hayward brings slashing to his game. And he hustles. Bell does not anymore.

Lets not get ridiculous now. We need to take some time away from both Sap and Jefferson (about 3-5 minutes each) and give it to Favors so Sap and Al can be fresh when its crunch time.

Wow; this is unusual. I have to AGREE with everyone's earlier comments in this thread... We need to see more Hayward at SG, Favors at both C and PF, and I'd also like to see more Evans at SF over Miles too... He could develop into a good slasher to go with Hayward and Kirilenko. Miles has become a horse, but is slow-footed laterally, and throws up too many prayers that have little chance of getting answered.
One thing I do like a lot about Jefferson is he is willing to work at his all-round basketball education he's getting in Utah. A lot of big scorers in the NBA can't be bothered with it. Al's rebounding is getting better, he's getting a surprising number of blocks, and I expect his overall D will in time become more consistant.
A couple obvious fouls that shoulda been called on the Celts turned the tide of this game, IMO...

Even though AL has been putting up some crazy numbers as of late on the boards, Im still pretty unimpressed by his effort on the glass. I see him let way to many balls go casually by him.

Millsap (30) - (12) Favors - (6) AK
Jefferson (36) -(12) Favors

Right, or just don't play AK at the 4. You could even conceivably give each of Millsap, Jefferson, and Favors 32 minutes.

However you break it down, again, there is no reason he shouldn't get at least 24 mpg.

Even though AL has been putting up some crazy numbers as of late on the boards, Im still pretty unimpressed by his effort on the glass. I see him let way to many balls go casually by him.

If him being casual on the glass means 18 boards, then I say he should be as casual as possible. Maybe a smoking jacket and a pipe with some bunny slippers or something.