What's new

Alec Baldwin shoots and kills one, injures another.

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner

Oct 22 (Reuters) - Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer and wounded a director when he discharged a prop gun on a movie set in New Mexico on Thursday, authorities said.

Baldwin shot Halyna Hutchins, the photography director of "Rust", and Joel Souza, the film's director, at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, a production location south of Santa Fe, according to the Santa Fe Sheriff's Department.

Hutchins was transported by helicopter to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Souza was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical center to undergo treatment for his injuries. The severity of his injuries could not immediately be determined.

Actress Frances Fisher said on Twitter that "Souza texted me that he's out of hospital." Asked whether Souza had been discharged, medical center spokesperson Arturo Delgado said he was not allowed to release information about patients.

The Sheriff's office said that no charges have been filed and they are investigating the shooting and interviewing witnesses.

Holy crap. That's crazy.

I always thought that prop guns were props. I guess I was wrong.

They are meant to be. Apparently sometimes they don't work as intended.
I mean it seems pretty simple to me. Dont use real guns. Use fake guns that are literally impossible to hurt someone with.

The anti-gun hypocrite has more kills than 99% of NRA. It's amazingly sad that this happened while glorifying the very thing he hates but maybe next time he not point a loaded gun with what now looks to be real ammo that was having issues beforehand at people... Something I was taught at age 4. Ironic that his crew walked off due to safety negligence right before he killed that poor person. This was neglect. Gun safety never stops.

I always thought that prop guns were props. I guess I was wrong.

I was always under the impression the guns are basically real, but loaded with special rounds designed to get the “blast”. That’s why you still get the blast, but not the kick.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

He didn't kill another actor. He killed a cinematographer and injured a director.

Two people. Two people who should have never been shot even with a prop gun.

I want to know WTF was going on on that set.

Here's a KSL article that provides some additional info as to how this stuff is supposed to work.

I mean it seems pretty simple to me. Dont use real guns. Use fake guns that are literally impossible to hurt someone with.
You could always throw it.

I was always under the impression the guns are basically real, but loaded with special rounds designed to get the “blast”. That’s why you still get the blast, but not the kick.

I think you are correct. And that is dumb. Why not use guns that literally wouldn't be able to fire a real bullet if one was loaded into it?

He didn't kill another actor. He killed a cinematographer and injured a director.

Two people. Two people who should have never been shot even with a prop gun.

I want to know WTF was going on on that set.

Here's a KSL article that provides some additional info as to how this stuff is supposed to work.

My guess would be setting up a shot where he fires a gun down the barrel of the camera.

The anti-gun hypocrite has more kills than 99% of NRA. It's amazingly sad that this happened while glorifying the very thing he hates but maybe next time he not point a loaded gun with what now looks to be real ammo that was having issues beforehand at people... Something I was taught at age 4. Ironic that his crew walked off due to safety negligence right before he killed that poor person. This was neglect. Gun safety never stops.
Welcome back.

Sounds like the armorer was fairly new and inexperienced. I read that it was a real bullet. An armorer allowing that on set simply didn't do her job.

And an armorer should never allow guns to be pointed at another person, even if firing blanks.

I don’t understand why live ammo would even be allowed on a movie set. Like why? What would be the need or reason for that?

I don’t understand why live ammo would even be allowed on a movie set. Like why? What would be the need or reason for that?

The armorer was a 24 woman with little experience. Evidently her grandfather was a top armorer for old west films. I'm guessing her short career has already ended.

Controlled sets have the armorer in control of the guns between takes, being the only person to touch them before and after takes. In this case, the assistant director, not the armorer, handed the gun to Baldwin and declared it to be a cold gun (no rounds, blank or otherwise). Crazy.

I read one article stating it was a real bullet, and others that it was a blank (blanks also referred as live rounds).