What's new

Alec Baldwin shoots and kills one, injures another.

Maybe by the movie industry for being stupid enough to use real guns in movies. Do you point real guns at people? Even after you check for certain that they are empty? This is what we are telling actors to do in movies. We are giving actors real guns and literally telling them to aim the real guns at the other actors.
There is the problem.
You know that they don’t point the guns at people, right? It’s all camera tricks. There’s a ton of information on this right now from the professionals on movie standards if you take 5 minutes and google it.

They use real guns for realism and because the standards they typically use ensure that it’s usually safe. They make thousands of movies a year, how many deaths have their been related to guns have their been the past 30 years or so? 3, I believe. All of them because people didn’t follow protocol.

You and others can say it’s not an actors job, but it is. Nic Cage, also an actor, wanted the same armorer fired because he said she wasn’t safe. Experienced actors know what’s right, and what isn’t.

I was a hunter when I was young. I took some safety classes. I was told that even if you checked that your gun was empty once, twice, 1,000 times you still never point it at a person. And you would certainly never pull the trigger of a gun you are pointing at someone. Even if you checked that it was empty 1,000 times.

With actors however apparently it's more like check the gun and make sure there IS a bullet in there but a fake one. And once you have made sure your fake bullet is properly loaded in your real gun then you are SUPPOSED TO AIM IT AT SOMEONE AND PULL THE TRIGGER.

How does this make any sense?

What if you don't know much about guns. I could give my daughter a gun and tell her to validate that it is safe but I wouldnt do that due to her lack of gun knowledge/safety. If I did that and she shot someone then I think that would be my fault for giving her the gun.

I have literally seen a man shoot himself in the leg while teaching a gun safety class. He was a professional instructor for gun safety and it happened to him.
Turns out guns are dangerous. Maybe we shouldn't give guns to actors and tell them to point them at other actors and pull the trigger.
They all go through safety training courses on guns prior to filming. They’re not going in completely ignorant.

You know that they don’t point the guns at people, right? It’s all camera tricks. There’s a ton of information on this right now from the professionals on movie standards if you take 5 minutes and google it.

They use real guns for realism and because the standards they typically use ensure that it’s usually safe. They make thousands of movies a year, how many deaths have their been related to guns have their been the past 30 years or so? 3, I believe. All of them because people didn’t follow protocol.

You and others can say it’s not an actors job, but it is. Nic Cage, also an actor, wanted the same armorer fired because he said she wasn’t safe. Experienced actors know what’s right, 4and what isn’t.
Wait so they use camera tricks to make it appear that they are aiming at each other but they don't use camera tricks, CGI, sound effects to use fake guns and make them appear real. That's dumb. We have so much technology today. Don't need real guns on the set of a movie.

They all go through safety training courses on guns prior to filming. They’re not going in completely ignorant.
Lol. There are so many movies made with so many budgets that is impossible for you to know that every goes through safety training.

Anyone with a camera can make a movie. Movies shouldn't be made with real guns.

Ok how about this. What if Baldwin was handed the gun, and then he did all the checks he was supposed to do to the best of his ability (like the armorer and everyone else who handled the gun did) and he still shot someone? Then would he still be to blame?
Wheth3er he did all the generally advised safety steps, or even more than all that could be done, he is still to blame. Legally. The law breaks out all homicide and accidental deaths with definitions, state by state legally defined. If he owned the gun, or took legal possession of it, he can be included in the civil case on negligence. Negligent homicide. That includes if someone else picks up the gun and uses it. Includes if an employee got the ammo wrong.

The criminal case goes different on intent and specific regulation violations.

Looks like the county in NM is looking into everything, ruling out nothing so far. If they find any circumstance that would suggest possible motive for an intent to kill, they look like they are going to file homicide charges.

If they look at everything and don't file any criminal charge, Baldwin will still face civil charges if the relatives of the dead and injured don't just cut a deal to settle..

You and others can say it’s not an actors job, but it is. Nic Cage, also an actor, wanted the same armorer fired because he said she wasn’t safe. Experienced actors know what’s right, and what isn’t.
Also, if they don't point guns at people then how do people get shot?

I don't think you are correct that they don't point guns at people. I mean think about all the people on set. Makeup, assistants, camera crew, sound guys, directors, etc etc. Pointing a gun anywhere is going to be pointing it at someone. Especially since in the movie you will be running with the gun, diving, rolling, sweeping your arm to track the bad guys movement.

I have even seen scenes in movies where a guy puts a gun right up against another guys head. Like the barrel is touching the other guys head.

Last edited:
I was a hunter when I was young. I took some safety classes. I was told that even if you checked that your gun was empty once, twice, 1,000 times you still never point it at a person. And you would certainly never pull the trigger of a gun you are pointing at someone. Even if you checked that it was empty 1,000 times.

With actors however apparently it's more like check the gun and make sure there IS a bullet in there but a fake one. And once you have made sure your fake bullet is properly loaded in your real gun then you are SUPPOSED TO AIM IT AT SOMEONE AND PULL THE TRIGGER.

How does this make any sense?
We need to be entertained. In fact we place people who can entertain us over religious leaders, politicians, police, medical personnel, hell everyone. No one has as much (granted) authority as entertainers. They are viewed as smarter, more wise, with more valid opinions and with strong and far-reaching social power to enact change. They influence people to protest any and everything, to believe is the fakest of fake news, and they are, I would argue, 90% of the time + more harmful than helpful. Ever seen anything to do with "Goop"? It is sickening how many people buy into **** that is proven to be damaging to themselves and others, including children in their care, just because a "celebrity" said so, which causes them to ignore droves of actual experts. It is the single most repugnant thing about our society, imo.

But I still love the Matrix and yes, the rescue scene with "guns...lots of guns" is ****ing awesome. And I will be in the center of the theater for the next Matrix movie and I hope they have more guns. And the celebrities will continue to get richer.

It's definitely a paradox.

Also, if they don't point guns at people then how do people get shot?

I don't think you are correct that they don't point guns at people. I mean think about all the people on set. Makeup, assistants, camera crew, sound guys, directors, etc etc. Pointing a gun anywhere is going to be pointing it at someone. Especially since in the movie you will be running with the gun, diving, rolling, sweeping your arm to track the bad guys movement.

I have even seen scenes in movies where a guy puts a gun right up against another guys head. Like the barrel is touching the other guys head.
You are correct, sir. See this article I found about it. He was pointing the gun directly at the camera, and by extension at the director who was behind the camera, who then was killed.

Ms. Carmack-Altwies took issue with descriptions of the firearm used in the incident as “prop-gun,” saying that the terminology, which is used in some of the court documents related to the case, could give the misleading impression that it was not a real gun.

“It was a legit gun,” she said, without naming specifically what kind of firearm was used. “It was an antique-era appropriate gun.”

Detectives from the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office are proceeding carefully with the investigation, she said, citing the large number of witnesses and the need to methodically collect ballistics and forensics evidence.

The shooting occurred on Thursday on the set of a church where Mr. Baldwin was rehearsing a scene for “Rust,” a Western where he plays an outlaw. According to affidavits included in applications for search warrants, Dave Halls, an assistant director on the set, had gone outside the church and taken the gun off a cart, where it had been placed by the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed. Mr. Halls handed the gun to Mr. Baldwin, who was rehearsing inside the church, according to the affidavit, and said it was a “cold gun,” indicating that it contained no live rounds and was safe for Mr. Baldwin to handle.

Mr. Baldwin then rehearsed a scene that involved “cross drawing” a revolver and pointing it toward the camera lens, according to the affidavit, when the gun fired — striking Ms. Hutchins in the chest and killing her, and hitting the director of the film, Joel Souza, in the shoulder, wounding him.

Its seems like that with the technology we have today they could make fake guns look exactly the same as real gun. Could even make it so that when the trigger is pulled a flame shoots out the end (kind of like my bbq grill lighter does). Could even make it so that a loud bang is produced when the trigger is pulled (kind of like the cap gun I had when I was 6 years old). Thats not even taking into account the CGI and sound that could be added digitally.

There is just no reason to use real guns and "blanks" anymore. Back in the day? Sure. Today? No way.

Its seems like that with the technology we have today they could make fake guns look exactly the same as real gun. Could even make it so that when the trigger is pulled a flame shoots out the end (kind of like my bbq grill lighter does). Could even make it so that a loud bang is produced when the trigger is pulled (kind of like the cap gun I had when I was 6 years old). Thats not even taking into account the CGI and sound that could be added digitally.

There is just no reason to use real guns and "blanks" anymore. Back in the day? Sure. Today? No way.
I think this incident will signal the beginning of the end of using real guns on movie sets. I agree, it seems completely unnecessary.

Fake guns could absolutely be made. Remember cap guns as kids? They were $5 at the grocery store with no orange plugs.

We shoot people into space weekly autonomously but somehow can't make fake guns for movies?

Fake guns could absolutely be made. Remember cap guns as kids? They were $5 at the grocery store with no orange plugs.
We shoot people into space weekly autonomously but somehow can't make fake guns for movies?
There just hasn’t been a need to because these occurrences are incredibly rare because of the precautions they normally take. I agree it’s foolish to use a real gun. They aren’t toys.

Difference between the drunk driver is that the drunk driver is told not to drink and drive but the actor is told to aim the gun at people and pull the trigger.
I wasn't discussing the trigger pull, at least not primarily. The events leading up to it were the reckless part. I would not think Baldwin the actor had criminal liability (less likely anyway) compared with the producer in control of the set, especially if he had knowledge of the reckless actions on set and did nothing about it (he clearly knew there were other misfires with the same gun based on what has been communicated).

There was some discussion here on how much the actors know, what their common protocol is, etc. I saw this quote from George Clooney this morning that answers a little bit of it.

“Every single time I’m handed a gun on a set — every time — they hand me a gun, I look at it, I open it, I show it to the person I’m pointing it to, we show it to the crew,” he told Maron. “Every single take. You hand it back to the armorer when you’re done. You do it again.”
“Everyone does it; everybody knows,” he said. “Maybe Alec did that — hopefully he did do that.”

Alec Baldwin now claims he didn't pull the trigger on the gun that killed the cinematographer. All I have to say is that it doesn't work like that. This may have been an older gun but I would put everything I have on that trigger being pulled.