What's new

All we need from Trey Burke....

To defend Trey: I do feel like he got the ball with <5 seconds on the shot clock ALOT. A lot of it resulting from playing with guys like Ingles/Millsap/Johnson/Booker who really couldn't make their own shots..

Counterpoint: He spends way too much time just holding/dribbling the ball which caused some of the late shot clocks.

My hope is that the return of Burks takes possessions away from Burke and he realizes we have enough playmakers that he doesn't need to force as much.
That's rather rosy. As a former Burke homer I can see it. I just haven't seen enough of that. I know he can get better and think he should be better. But he'd better start to figure it out because the Jazz shouldn't have a hard time replacing his his contribution to date.

Burke is going to be much better. Jazzfanz will move on to hating someone new next season. I vote that the hate gets turned back to Exum early in the season since there is a good chance Burke outplays him to start the season and he still defers a fair amount to the better offensive players on this team.

I vote that the hate gets turned back to Exum early in the season since there is a good chance Burke outplays him to start the season and he still defers a fair amount to the better offensive players on this team.

I vote you shut your face. Some people must really hate winning games. You'd rather watch Burke do his Iverson impression while we lose than win with Exum's defense.

I vote you shut your face. Some people must really hate winning games. You'd rather watch Burke do his Iverson impression while we lose than win with Exum's defense.
When Burke said that Iverson is his idol just after he got drafted I didn't think he would be stupid enough to actually try to play like him. Totally different physically and athletically.

To defend Trey: I do feel like he got the ball with <5 seconds on the shot clock ALOT. A lot of it resulting from playing with guys like Ingles/Millsap/Johnson/Booker who really couldn't make their own shots..

Counterpoint: He spends way too much time just holding/dribbling the ball which caused some of the late shot clocks.

My hope is that the return of Burks takes possessions away from Burke and he realizes we have enough playmakers that he doesn't need to force as much.

Burke's ceiling is fools gold. There is no D in Trey Burke. Who cares if he is more efficient offensively when every guard in the league seems to have a career night against him?

Burke's ceiling is fools gold. There is no D in Trey Burke. Who cares if he is more efficient offensively when every guard in the league seems to have a career night against him?
Burke's ceiling right now is Isiah Thomas (the current version).

At the same time it must be taken into account that he created more than his fair share of last second shots by overdribbling and underpassing. I think many of these <5 second situations came about from his own making.

Burke is going to be much better. Jazzfanz will move on to hating someone new next season. I vote that the hate gets turned back to Exum early in the season since there is a good chance Burke outplays him to start the season and he still defers a fair amount to the better offensive players on this team.

I hope he plays great to start the season. It just means that they can get more when they trade him at the deadline. I'd rather not have a Kanter situation where his value keeps plummeting. Let it rise and then sell high. Dante is the future. Burks/Cotton/Neto/Hanlan can handle the backup 1 minutes.

I'm predicting by Christmas, that Hanlan will outplay Trey and Trey will be getting very little playing time the rest of the year...Every man needs a dream, this is mine.

Is more consistency...

Since we drafted Exum, and handed him the franchise we need less from Trey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JnHUg6rzU

Sure youd like to see better defense, but Id settle for a consistent scorer off the bench. I truly hope Trey puts it together. We have Cotton and the draft pick if it doesnt.

I still have hope for Trey. The potential is still there. The swagger is there.
The confidence is there. The play making ability is there. Mr big shot is there.

Dude. We might quite-literally be the last two left :(

You don't want a guy that consciously doesn't make his teammates better, can't finish, can't get to the line, and shoots in the mid-30's from the field to have "swagger" or feel like he's "Mr. Big Shot".

I hope he plays great to start the season. It just means that they can get more when they trade him at the deadline. I'd rather not have a Kanter situation where his value keeps plummeting. Let it rise and then sell high. Dante is the future. Burks/Cotton/Neto/Hanlan can handle the backup 1 minutes.
I think Kanter actually raised his trade value somewhat by putting up some big numbers not long before he was traded, but was stunted by contract status. Kanter had the potential to be a significant trade asset in the right circumstances. I just don't see that possibility with trey. He'd have to get a LOT better than he is now.

Where in my statement did I say anything that? Nice assumption though.

I dont want Burke to start over Exum. I have been on the Exum bandwagon and never jumped off. Half this board did last season and have only come around in the off season. A good chunk of this board is going to jump off when he struggles again. I think Exum is going to be an all-star or better player.

I didnt want the Jazz to draft Trey and was disappointed with the pick. But I want him to succeed and think the hate for him on this board is silly. He is a hard working, well spoken kid with tools to be a decent player in this league. The only thing preventing him from being a good/starter quality player right now is consistency in hitting his shots, especially the open ones. I know a lot of people think he shot too much but the coaching staff continually said they wanted him to keep shooting last season especially when he came off the bench. Its not like we were trying to make the playoffs. We were trying to develop players.

Where in my statement did I say anything that? Nice assumption though.

I dont want Burke to start over Exum. I have been on the Exum bandwagon and never jumped off. Half this board did last season and have only come around in the off season. A good chunk of this board is going to jump off when he struggles again. I think Exum is going to be an all-star or better player.
Ya you have always been on the Exum bandwagon.

I just want to let you know that I have not come around yet and won't come around until I see Exum look like he belongs on an nba court on the offensive end.
Hopefully he will show me that and I can jump on the bandwagon early next season

I didnt want the Jazz to draft Trey and was disappointed with the pick. But I want him to succeed and think the hate for him on this board is silly. He is a hard working, well spoken kid with tools to be a decent player in this league. The only thing preventing him from being a good/starter quality player right now is consistency in hitting his shots, especially the open ones. I know a lot of people think he shot too much but the coaching staff continually said they wanted him to keep shooting last season especially when he came off the bench. Its not like we were trying to make the playoffs. We were trying to develop players.

The problem with Trey was not shooting too much, but shooting bad shots too much (this hurt his shooting percentage, though I suspect his percentage hitting open shots wasn't very good either) and rarely looking to pass.

Anyone could diagnose his problem: he is a shameless chucker. He has court vision but closes his eyes. He is a much better player if he is simply less selfish as a basketball player.

You missed the part about being the only point guard in the league who, you know, cannot dribble the ball without hitting his own foot.