What's new

Allowing offensive rebounds

Twin Towers

Why after every loss more people are talk about outside shooting than defensive rebounds? Like outside shooting is our main problem?

Do we realize that we lose games even when we shoot really well from the outside?

The one thing that that is consistent this year in losses is allowing offensive rebounds. Al Jefferson has no sense of boxing out. Millsap sometimes does.

Is this just something the coaches are telling the players but they aren't will to do?

Jefferson is a big body. Why can't he box out?

Its ridiculous how many offensive rebounds that we allow.

Does anybody have an interview with any coaches where the media asks them about the defensive rebounding? The coaches need to call out players.

that's why we need to play more fesenko and more evans at the SF position rather than no skill brick man shot clock violation inconsistent never been to the gym CJ miles

I think the two biggest problems are 1) Too much help defense at the wrong times and 2) Getting lazy on the defensive boards. GRAB THAT ****!

that's why we need to play more fesenko and more evans at the SF position rather than no skill brick man shot clock violation inconsistent never been to the gym CJ miles

Fesenko can't defensive rebound either. He's worse than Jefferson.

Boxing out is a problem; but you can't blame it all on Jefferson and Millsap. Case in point last night The Jazz back court players couldn't stop the dribble penetration which leads to the front court players constantly out of position which leads to a greater chance of an offensive rebound.

Although, while I have no proof, I think there is more than a little competition going on between Jefferson and Millsap - neither wants to box out for the other.

Not to worry, Favors will solve this problem in time.

Anybody have an idea why the Jazz had alot of offensive rebounds with malone? The pick and roll. The same reason the Jazz are giving up alot of O rebounds. The pick and roll. The Jazz dont defend it well which is forcing the interior defenders to give up rebounding position.

Anybody have an idea why the Jazz had alot of offensive rebounds with malone? The pick and roll. The same reason the Jazz are giving up alot of O rebounds. The pick and roll. The Jazz dont defend it well which is forcing the interior defenders to give up rebounding position.

Excellent point, the Jazz would almost be better just switching than having Al show and then try and get back to his man.

very good points about the pick and roll.

I do think Fesenko should play more minutes. But I don't think that can happen with Favors, Millsap & Jefferson needing minutes.

They are usually out of position but at the same time I see a lot of plays where Millsap doesn't box out and guys reach over him and tip it. And Jefferson doesn't even try to box out. He just runs underneath the hoop to rebound.

We need to trade Millsap or Jefferson this summer for a wing player. Than either start fesenko or trade for a real big man who clogs the lane so we don't have the problem.

A rotation of Jefferson, Favors and Fesenko or a real center who clogs the lane would be key and really improve this team. Better wings will always help but the long term and playoff fix is the true center clogging the lane. It helps with stopping penetration.

I don't want to see Fess play another freaking second he is useless. He is capable of being very good, but he doesn't work at his game is lazy, and doesn't care.

Every second he plays takes time away from Favors, if he develops he could be someone that takes us back to prominence.

Fes and Jeremy Evans at SF? Seriously?

no my friend obviously not Fes lol. he needs to play at center 12-18 minutes a game. clogs the paint, alters shots, rebounds, blocks. He is a solid solid player who hasn't been given the chance to be developed yet he still shows signs of making a presence in the nba.

evans should be sf. imagine that, what an advantage we could have with evans at the SF

no my friend obviously not Fes lol. he needs to play at center 12-18 minutes a game. clogs the paint, alters shots, rebounds, blocks. He is a solid solid player who hasn't been given the chance to be developed yet he still shows signs of making a presence in the nba.

evans should be sf. imagine that, what an advantage we could have with evans at the SF

Fesenko DOESN'T block shots, and DOESN'T rebound. Jefferson, who has shown to be a pretty bad defensive rebounder this year, has a better defense rebounding rate than Fesenko. Jefferson also blocks shots at a better rate than Fesenko. I'll give you the fact that he alters shots, but half of those are because he's slapping the shooter on the wrist, or head. Basically, fouling weakly.

Fes fouls a ton. He always has one arm holding down a guy and the other extended out(Not straight up) fouling the guy as well. He may clog the paint but that's about it. He always tries to block the shot but fails miserably

Last night in the 1st quarter Jefferson allowed Greg Monroe and Chris Wilcox to completely outwork him on the defensive glass. I think they had 4 offensive rebounds between the two of them in the first 10 minutes and Corbin let Al know he didn't appreciate the effort when he subbed Al out w/a few minutes left in the period.

Alot of times, the Jazz give up rebounds because they're simply not big enough - but last night they lost the game because they were outworked and outhustled.

Do you Fes haters understand that a big boxing out properly most likely won't get a rebound? This is why Fes doesn't have boxscore figures you love.

Do you Fes haters understand that a big boxing out properly most likely won't get a rebound? This is why Fes doesn't have boxscore figures you love.

Fes doesn't have any rebounds because he can't stay on the floor. He averages over 10 fouls per 48 minutes. He'd be far and away the league leader if he qualified.

I'd like to see how Fes plays when he STARTS over the course of several games. Usually in the past when the Jazz were decimated with injuries and Fes was forced to start, he gave us some good minutes. The guy CAN play; we just need to figure out how to get his head in the game with consistancy! If he fails at this, I wouldn't re-sign him next season...
Yeah; too often our non-bigs just watch a ball go out of bounds instead of running to get it. That ain't gonna cut it, as the ref may have seen the play differently than the player...
All those missed FT's came back to bite us too; gotta rebound and hit FT's when on the road, dang it!!!!

Offensive rebounds are a problems because Millsap and Jefferson don't box out. Plain and simple folks. Just watch the games and you'll see. Even when we had Boozer is was noticeable that Millsap refused to box out while Boozer excelled at that.

Offensive rebounds are a problems because Millsap and Jefferson don't box out. Plain and simple folks. Just watch the games and you'll see. Even when we had Boozer is was noticeable that Millsap refused to box out while Boozer excelled at that.

^This. They rely way too much on their athleticism instead of putting their body on someone and creating opportunities for an easier rebound. There are surely going to be some long boards in this game that we won't get, but when you can't get the ones that are perceived at easy on a continual basis then you are asking for trouble. Like or dislike Favors thus far at least he plays solid defense and puts a body on people when the shot goes up. Either Paul or Al have to be traded this off-season. We are seemingly always going to be in need of a true center who can control the paint more on a rebounding side. I think trading Paul is in our best interest since e probably won't be getting that center soon. Favors and Al seem like a better combination going forward. Trading Paul would get us a decent return too. JMO, I have been wrong before.

I wish 82games would update their numbers, since they're only updated to 1/19, and the Jazz have improved the team defensive rebounding rate since then, and Fes has seen little of the court. As of then, Fes had a negligible affect on the team's rate, but I can't see for sure since I don't know the actual number from that time. Somewhere in the 68.x%. Says the team was rebounding at 69.7% while Fes was in, and Jefferson 69.2% as of 1/19. The Jazz are now at 71.7%, and Fes has played little, so I would bet Jefferson moved ahead in that regard.

To sum up, the team doesn't rebound better when Fes is in the game than when Jefferson is in the game.

EDIT:

OK, looked at a different spot, as of 1/19, Jazz were rebounding 1.3% better with Fes in the game than not. That equates to about one more defensive rebound every three games.