What's new

America in Four Graphs

How does the government bail these people out? I know of no program that does this nor of one in the planning stages.

The government bails out people, and companies all the time. What is a company, but a large group of people working towards the same goal (somewhat).
There are tons of government programs and money used as a subsidy for different markets. Bailouts to companies that are run into the ground. Bankruptcy is everywhere.... if thats not a bailout I dont know what is, especially when they build up the debt and do it again.

Just a few thoughts.

If you have a link to that figure, i'd be interested in having it (not doubting you, just would like to be able to show that to people).

Secondly, even with that being true, the % is staying the same because some workers are increasing compensation while other workers...are seeing their jobs disappear.

I mean yes, the material gains are great, and I said as much.

My whole point with these graphs was to make the case, that this trend (more and more stuff, less and less work) was not going away for a decade plus and that I don't think this is because of globalization/immigration/govt spending. And if this is going to be our new reality, we need to adjust our social structures to take this into account.

We need our institutions to be more flexible in dealing with part-time/contract workers. We need to change our education system dramatically, so that it spends less time teaching facts and more time teachign independent thinking etc.

Bit of a threadjack, but teaching independent thinking is what they DON'T

The problem is that everyone now feels they need these things, are even entitled to these things, and don't view them as a luxury or want and will do whatever it takes to get them.

This. Being in my late 20's I have watched many of my friends feel that they need the nice house, nice car, and all of the luxuries that go with them despite the fact that they can't pay for any of it. They end up house-poor or in debt up to their eyeballs over items they feel like they were entitled to in the first place. They want what their parents have, yet don't feel that they should have to work as long or earn more to attain it.

And while I'm thinking about it, what's in store for the next generation? Kids don't need to go outside and get physical exercise anymore as they have Xbox, Playstation, Wii, and Computers. Childhood obesity is at an all-time high (as is my understanding). You know have programs like NFL Play60 urging children to please, please, just go outside and play for sixty minutes a day. You've got programs catering to students who have no attention span. Early out days in high school, late days in high school, evening class options for high school students, all of which lacking structure. In short, I don't like where we are headed.

Whatever old musty biatches. I'm doubling down on Ken Fisher and saying we can go to 1000% debt to GDP. Derivatives are becoming super refined, and have all but alleviated all investment risk. Get ahead of the crowd and buy everything you can today.

Whatever old musty biatches. I'm doubling down on Ken Fisher and saying we can go to 1000% debt to GDP. Derivatives are becoming super refined, and have all but alleviated all investment risk. Get ahead of the crowd and buy everything you can today.

Do you think you are King Arthur?

King Arthur: Old woman.
Dennis: Man.
King Arthur: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
Dennis: I'm 37.
King Arthur: What?
Dennis: I'm 37. I'm not old.
King Arthur: Well I can't just call you "man".
Dennis: Well you could say "Dennis".
King Arthur: I didn't know you were called Dennis.
Dennis: Well you didn't bother to find out did you?
King Arthur: I did say sorry about the "old woman", but from behind you looked...
Dennis: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior.
King Arthur: Well I am king.
Dennis: Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

Dangitsomuch.
Editing doesn't work.
Meant to say teaching independent thinking raises independent thinkers which seem to be anathema in our consumption-driven economy.
Independent thinkers seem to question what they're told and are not always so easily led.
I'm more interested in the human psychology element in economics more than the number crunching side.

(And Holy Grail is my 2nd favorite after the Big Lebowski.)

I've added nothing to the discussion as always, but I'm always interested in the back and forth and in seeing how viewpoints develop.

Right back at you, before you state something, murmur it to yourself, recheck your facts and then come back at me regarding my statement with a better counter, from what you have stated, it probably comes to a better understanding that you haven't heard all sides and are being deaf to the atrocities this man has done towards the world, oh yes, what he did in Palestine was truth be told amazing but for every good he has done, Jimmy has done ten times worse, read history the joker but may be your name fits you appropriately for someone who does not know the difference between good and evil or in this case jimmy carter the myth and the reality.

And, for you, I shall elaborate let us start with my own country and his creation of this deplorable regime, yes, he did create this regime under the pretense that Ayatollah Khomeini is Gandhi, that Islamic fundamentalists are easier to control than nationalist and in turn this piece of dirt created a domino effect to the world we are seeing now, Ill go to my country's neighbor, Afghanistan, the creation of this Mujahideen groups were promulgated and fostered by this piece of crap, Jimmy Carter, he was actually pushing a fundamentalist country more akin to delusional Islamic culture than to the real thing, but it seems you are blinded by his fallacy of helpfulness.

Next, lets go to El Salvador, you would love what this piece of **** did to El Salvador, he backed the murders of innocents and continued the massacre in this country for your so called stance of foreign affairs, here, just for fun, lets read a quote

"You say that you are Christian. If you are really Christian, please stop sending military aid to the military here, because they use it only to kill my people." Oscar Romero

Carter said "the soul of our foreign policy is human rights", amazing, is it? you seem to read press releases instead of facts, in East Timor, he backed and paid the Jakarta government with the murder of 200,000 men, try typing it, there are dozens of AP articles stating this, the man did the same in Haiti, all over africa, half of south america and the Philippines.

yes, foreign policy, now lets start with the economy of the country when he started and when he ended, you can use google for this, you would see a difference.

by the way, I apologize for sarcasm and a statement filled with snide but you started it with an insult, seems westerners start an argument with you are stupid instead of proving the opposing side as wrong but just goes to show you are indeed a jimmy carter follower, foreign policy with insults but jimmy adds the quotient of death, famine, pillaging and destruction in his wake.

Kitten_mittens.gif

Of course, the thought that every single American holed up in there house and filling the coffee cans with quarters and burying it the back yard will somehow be good for the country is idiotic beyond belief. Those that got caught up in the housing frenzy and fell victim to it got exactly what they deserve. The American system isn't broken, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. It flushed the turd balls down the toilet along with the worthless realtors, appraisers, mortgage brokers, contractors, and Mr. and Mr.s suburbia clinging to their granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. It truly is a marvelous thing to witness. Middle class American's didn't like the process so now they are sulking like teenagers grounded for the weekend. Nobody under 50 ever experienced a real cleansing recession. Welcome to 1980.

The politicians are politicians. Despite the morons on the far left and the far right, no politician is going to sit on their hands in a position of "leadership" and proclaim the cleansing of the system will be good for everybody. They will do what people in charge do, do "something instead of nothing".

I'm curious how you say the American System isn't broken. Perhaps it isn't broken but doesn't it need to be fixed? What are your thoughts on Clinton's role in the housing crisis of which you've mentioned?

what does this mean? i am sorry I am not an american and english is my third language, can you elaborate and please if you talk to someone do not insult their intellegence. i expect more from someone with better opportunities than someone from a small town with no electricity like me, i live in rasht now. if this is humour can you explain it to me, must be like those ben stiller movies i dont get though i like the one he fights the huns in.

read history my friend, jimmy carter created a lot of evil regimes in this world and set back democracy and us foreign relations during his tenure and after by 25 years. but if this is humour and used as an insult, it seems it just proves my point about jimmy carter and his supposed followers.

News Flash: The US was intervening politically around the world long before Jimmy Carter was president.

what does this mean? i am sorry I am not an american and english is my third language, can you elaborate and please if you talk to someone do not insult their intellegence. i expect more from someone with better opportunities than someone from a small town with no electricity like me, i live in rasht now. if this is humour can you explain it to me, must be like those ben stiller movies i dont get though i like the one he fights the huns in.

its kitten mittens bro.

News Flash: The US was intervening politically around the world long before Jimmy Carter was president.

yes they were but Jimmy Carters era had the most abrupt changes in the political landscape from El Salvador to Iran, Dwight had the same effect as well, Operation Ajax and pbsucess, same goes with harry s truman with the parity rights in the philippines but what I am stating is that in the world scheme, Jimmy for someone who is stating that humanity is the soul of his foreign policy was doing the contrary plus his changes created the problems the un has had in the past 20 years regarding the middle east

is the joke he is slipping? by the way good username, ten times better than the crap i got from the power rangers, good thing these crap power rangers were being sold by dvd man for cheap, what a bargain.

The brunt of the joke, is that "kitten mittens" does not really make sense in any context. Its from the television series "Its Always Sunny in Philidelphia" and its just kind of a.... "whatever" after you make a really educated comment. It's not meant to attack your intelligence, it's more of an attack on your efficacy.

read history my friend, jimmy carter created a lot of evil regimes in this world and set back democracy and us foreign relations during his tenure and after by 25 years. but if this is humour and used as an insult, it seems it just proves my point about jimmy carter and his supposed followers.

Wow. I did not know that. I was always told he was a weak, ineffectual President. He's roundly criticized for what he did or didn't do domestically but I had no idea that all that time he was actually creating EVIL regimes.

Could you please tell me who or what these evil regimes are/were? Being public-school edumacated I would really like to know.