What's new

America in Four Graphs

Wow. I did not know that. I was always told he was a weak, ineffectual President. He's roundly criticized for what he did or didn't do domestically but I had no idea that all that time he was actually creating EVIL regimes.

Could you please tell me who or what these evil regimes are/were? Being public-school edumacated I would really like to know.

Operation Green was created by the Jimmy Carter's presidency to curtail the growth of the Shah and in a sense replace him with a more controllable leader, the Ayatollah, this action backfired and created this regime I am living in right now, nice place, I cant even go out without socks... and you guys can could check the rest in the internet.

El Salvador, concerned that the country was turning into another Nicaragua, Jimmy sends military aid and actually justify the murders that regime created, this letter, by Oscar Romero a priest, would state everything.

https://www.share-elsalvador.org/25anniv/romero-carter.htm

https://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2263 for more information regarding south america countries that Jimmy Carter curtailed democracy for.

in regards to the Philippines, read Sainthood postponed, its a book about the Aquinos and their involvement with the CIA and Jimmy Carter.

I can tell you about Jakarta as well but I got to go back to work and teach. My apologies, my English isnt as good as most but I try my best, modern history has never been my forte.

read history my friend, jimmy carter created a lot of evil regimes in this world and set back democracy and us foreign relations during his tenure and after by 25 years. but if this is humour and used as an insult, it seems it just proves my point about jimmy carter and his supposed followers.

just wondering how old you are (approximately - in your 20's? 30's? 40's or older?) and where you've been educated.

since we are sort of talking about education here, and it seems like it might have some bearing on some of your viewpoints.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/peopleevents/e_hostage.html
Did the Carter administration "lose" Iran, as some have suggested? Gaddis Smith might have put it best: "President Carter inherited an impossible situation -- and he and his advisers made the worst of it." Carter seemed to have a hard time deciding whether to heed the advice of his aggressive national security advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski, who wanted to encourage the Shah to brutally suppress the revolution, or that of his more cautious State Department, which suggested Carter reach out to opposition elements in order to smooth the transition to a new government. In the end he did neither, and suffered the consequences.

The Crisis
Even after it became known that the Shah was suffering from cancer, President Carter was reluctant to allow him entry to the United States, for fear of reprisal against Americans still in Iran. But in October, when the severity of the Shah's illness became known, Carter relented on humanitarian grounds. "He went around the room, and most of us said, 'Let him in.'" recalls Vice President Walter Mondale. "And he said, 'And if [the Iranians] take our employees in our embassy hostage, then what would be your advice?' And the room just fell dead. No one had an answer to that. Turns out, we never did."

anyhow, one thing that strikes me is how much more we ALL pay now for things - and I'm not referring to inflation or taxation - but just the stuff we pay for that either didn't exist or was free. When I got my first apartment 30+ years ago, and when we bought our home 27 years ago, we had free television, one simple phone bill, no gym memberships to pay for, no internet to pay for, etc. You'd buy a deck of card for a buck and that'd be your entertainment, plus maybe a couple board games - no fancy game systems and especially not ones that needed major upgrades every couple of years, or expensive components to be fully functional. And it's gotten to the point that these things are almost considered "necessities" - and, well, I don't really know where I'm going with these thoughts, but it seemed to be an appropriate time to chime in with my old fogey rant.

Last edited: