What's new

Andrei Kirilenko returns to CSKA Moscow

qwerty

https://www.cskabasket.com/news/?a=news&id=10436&lang=en

Forward Andrei Kirilenko (30 years, 206 cm) will wear CSKA uniform again after 10-year American stint. The contract with the Russian National Team leader, 2011 Eurobasket All-Tournament team member is signed for three years with NBA return option. The player went through medical tests in GMS Clinic yesterday and plans to practice with the team for the first time today.

Kirilenko started his pro career in Spartak St. Petersburg in age 16 and took CSKA offer a year after. He spent two years in army team, he was chosen in the first round of NBA draft and signed his first contract with Utah Jazz in 2001. He played for 10 seasons, had legendary John Stockton and Karl Malone as his teammates, was an NBA All-Star, led the league in blocked shots and was chosen to NBA All-Defensive Teams. Kirilenko led Team Russia to 2007 Eurobasket gold, taking the MVP honors and FIBA Europe Player of the Year trophy. He helped the team to win the Eurobasket bronze in 2011 taking the All-Tournament team honors. Kirilenko contract with Jazz has expired in July and the forward signed with CSKA as a free agent. Still the conditions of the agreement allow Andrei to terminate the contract in a month after the lockout ends to sign with the NBA team. Otherwise he had to remain with CSKA until the end of the season.

https://en.ria.ru/sports/20111004/167370390.html

CSKA president Andrei Batutin told the website that the club was in principle against the acquisition of players who would bolt to the NBA in a matter of months.

"After long consideration, we decided to make an exception for Andrei. He's a special player for CSKA and Russian basketball as a whole," Batutin said.

Kirilenko, whose contract has expired with the Jazz, is one of Russia's best-paid sportsmen, earning $18 million before endorsements last season.

Players still bound by NBA contracts are allowed to play elsewhere during the lockout but are obliged to return a maximum of two days after any resolution.

Good news for Jazz fans? (at least for those who still wants AK to play for the Jazz, assuming NBA lockout ends)

https://www.euroleague.net/news/i/87811/180/cska-moscow-brings-back-kirilenko

"I am glad to be back to the team where I spent the years of adolescence." Kirilenko said. "It’s a pleasure to have a chance to play for Russian fans, my friends, relatives. CSKA has a very strong team, great coach, excellent players. It’s great when the highest goals are ahead of you. It’s especially interesting to play under the load of responsibility. I am sure that we are able to solve any task together. I’d like to mention also that all the money earned in Russia I will send to Kirilenko’s Kids charity foundation. The foundation will help the children hospitals and charity-schools, sport schools, sport veterans and the basketball players who became the disabled persons."

nice!

Good for AK. Those idiots in player association will make all season disappear so why wait? At least he will stay in shape playing for one of the best clubs in Europe. Oh, and looks like he is doing it for the love of basketball, not for the money... maybe somebody should pay attention???

Too bad it contains an option to return to the NBA. Should have been structured like the ones for the UFA's who are playing for teams in China.
AK's a nice guy. I applaud his chairty work. But I don't want him back with the Jazz. His best years are behind him. The same reasons many of us want Devin Harris traded apply to AK. Kirilenko WAS an all-star (so was Harris). It's clear Harris isn't the player he once was with Dallas (and AK isn't the player he was 7 years ago). We have a young team that's going to need 3-4 years to gel into a legit contender. By then, AK will be well on the downside. Hayward should be starting at SF NOW. And we already have a 1-year stop-gap in CJ who can back-up both the 2 and 3 until a new wing is signed, traded for or drafted.

Too bad it contains an option to return to the NBA. Should have been structured like the ones for the UFA's who are playing for teams in China.
AK's a nice guy. I applaud his chairty work. But I don't want him back with the Jazz. His best years are behind him. The same reasons many of us want Devin Harris traded apply to AK. Kirilenko WAS an all-star (so was Harris). It's clear Harris isn't the player he once was with Dallas (and AK isn't the player he was 7 years ago). We have a young team that's going to need 3-4 years to gel into a legit contender. By then, AK will be well on the downside. Hayward should be starting at SF NOW. And we already have a 1-year stop-gap in CJ who can back-up both the 2 and 3 until a new wing is signed, traded for or drafted.

I wonder if this is in the Kevin O'Connor's mind. AK would over the course of this next season probably be a better player than CJ or Hayward. But in addition to taking minutes away from them. I assume he wouldn't accept a shorter contract than 3 years.

AK is better off going to a win now team. Actually the Knick playing him at the 4 next to Amare and Carmelo would be a good fit.

This clearly shows he was a cancer in the locker room and a bad influence on everybody and clearly all about money. Good call on those who called it for all these years now.

Good for AK expecially since he is playing for his Charity.

I never have questioned the guys heart as I think he is a great guy and loves basketball, but he just thinks he is better than he really is.

He seems like such a decent and upstanding guy. That is sadly rare in the world of the NBA. I hope to see him in a Jazz jersey again soon, as I am one of the few that would want him back. I think the Knicks would be a good idea for him as someone above suggested, but I could also see him on the Spurs, as Jefferson, Ginobli, Duncan, Parker, and AK would be an old but strong starting 5 when healthy. AK would be a great mentor for Leonard.

Good for AK expecially since he is playing for his Charity.

I never have questioned the guys heart as I think he is a great guy and loves basketball, but he just thinks he is better than he really is.

Never questioned his heart? Are you Helen Keller?

Page 2 starts with a bang:

1317735966.jpg

AK is such a good player, its a pity that he doesnt play with his full potential in our team

Interesting part in the D-News:

One big contract caveat: If Kirilenko doesn't terminate his contract with CSKA during October, he will stay with the team until the end of the season and can opt out for the NBA during the 2012 offseason.

This makes it sound like if the lock out lasts until January then AK well be in Russia for the whole season.