What's new

annual Bolerhack Sucks thread

Jazz radio seems to have upped its game this season. I enjoyed Tim Lacomb as the analyst in game 2 and Coach Chiesa as the analyst tonight. Good insights, good game breakdowns. Intelligent and interesting.

Someone on tweetster or whatever needs to twit harp, during a game, and ask him to teach boler what a skip pass is.

Someone on tweetster or whatever needs to twit harp, during a game, and ask him to teach boler what a skip pass is.
Boler's response will be a glassy eyed stare followed by a reference to a hammered down three.

9 games in, and how many times has Boler said "Bojanović" this year? It feels like it's been at least once a game.

9 games in, and how many times has Boler said "Bojanović" this year? It feels like it's been at least once a game.
It’s a new name, like Jingles or DWill.

People love to hate on Boler, but is he really worse than others? Like he makes dumb mistakes, but when I switch to another teams streams sometimes they’re better, but they often seem like awful unaware homers with no flow. I’d put Boler at least in the top half just for his willingness to be impartial and that smooth sexy voice. At least he hasn’t reached Marv levels of senility yet.

People love to hate on Boler, but is he really worse than others? Like he makes dumb mistakes, but when I switch to another teams streams sometimes they’re better, but they often seem like awful unaware homers with no flow. I’d put Boler at least in the top half just for his willingness to be impartial and that smooth sexy voice. At least he hasn’t reached Marv levels of senility yet.

Back then I was watching the games of different teams. Basically I had the opportunity to listen to all 29 other play-by-play announcers. Some of them are .... well, check this one out:

Guys like Ian Eagle (Brooklyn Nets), Ralph Lawler (LAC) or Blazers' guy are on another tier but I'd easily rank Boler top7-8. He sincerely loves the game of basketball and the Utah Jazz. As you said he makes dumb mistakes now and then but overall he're really good at his job and makes watching games more enjoyable.

When I was 16, I had this job at Burger King so I could pay for prom tickets for my date and me, as well as a few other related expenses. It was the first job I had that lasted more than a week. I worked at BK for like 6 months. They never let me work the cash registers because I didn't suffer fools gladly and tended to tell morons they're morons. Morons don't like that. I couldn't be bothered to remember what goes into which sandwich because who cares and what difference does it makes. I once grabbed the fry basket after lifting it out of the fryer, because I was talking to a colleague about how Karl just dropped 50 on the Sonics in the playoff opener. I made a fish sandwich for someone at closing time from a piece of fish I had fried when I came in for my 6-hour shift. I mean, you order a fish sandwich at BK, you deserved that. They mostly just put me in the back to wash dishes, which I happily did because they allowed me to control the radio which I put on classic rock. I used to steal food at the end of my shift. I would make myself that long chicken sandwich BK had, but I would first dip the patty into gravy. Then I'd top it with bacon and a whopper patty. Then I'd eat it as I walked home at 10PM.

I feel that Boler is about as competent at his job as I was at mine.

Wow. Sounds like you make your mother very proud. She did a great job.

Back then I was watching the games of different teams. Basically I had the opportunity to listen to all 29 other play-by-play announcers. Some of them are .... well, check this one out:

Guys like Ian Eagle (Brooklyn Nets), Ralph Lawler (LAC) or Blazers' guy are on another tier but I'd easily rank Boler top7-8. He sincerely loves the game of basketball and the Utah Jazz. As you said he makes dumb mistakes now and then but overall he're really good at his job and makes watching games more enjoyable.

What makes you think he sincerely loves the game? He can't even put in the pre-game prep to say names correctly half the time. He doesn't know what play is what, and gets even basic terminology wrong. I think it is painfully obvious he doesn't love the game. He doesn't care to get things right. He doesn't even follow the flow very well.

I sincerely love the game, hence I know what a skip pass is.

Boler sucks ***, and not in a good way.

So last night, after the game winning shot and while they're showing the slow-mo replay for the first time, this is what Boler says:

"Easily down! With two-tenths on the clock. As the horn sounds, the Jazz win it."

I'm not even going to get into what "easily down" means, but the rest is typical Boler. First, there is 1.3 on the clock when the play starts. Babo lets it go at 0.6. The horn sounds as the ball is in mid-air and it swishes with no time on the clock at all and the backboard being obviously lit up. What the hell is he talking about? What two tenths on the clock? Remember that Boler has access to the same feed on his screen we do. Even if you assume that he's not watching it and that he's going off what he sees happening in real time, how can it be both two-tenths of a second left and also "as the horn sounds?"

This is what those of us who dislike him mean when we criticize him. He just says random stuff. I mean, actually random stuff. He says things for the sake of saying things, but it's nonsense. There seems to be zero forethought. Just verbal diarrhea.

Geez. I finally decided to click on this stupid thread. Only to say what’s the point of starting this thread? How many different talking points are there to how he sucks. OP IS POOPOO

What makes you think he sincerely loves the game? He can't even put in the pre-game prep to say names correctly half the time. He doesn't know what play is what, and gets even basic terminology wrong. I think it is painfully obvious he doesn't love the game. He doesn't care to get things right. He doesn't even follow the flow very well.

I very strong liked this post

Geez. I finally decided to click on this stupid thread. Only to say what’s the point of starting this thread? How many different talking points are there to how he sucks. OP IS POOPOO
Quite a few actually. We care more about Boler's improvement than he himself.

i almost spit out my soda when he tried donte divencenzo

You might be right about the pre-game preps and all but when I listen to him I get the feeling that he's genuinely excited and really wants Utah to do well. I'm not sure how I can describe it objectively, it's just organic with him. This is not so with most other announcers in the league.

David Locke is a much more hard-working guy but he's so fake. And his voice is so weird. I don't even know how one can become a radio guy with such a voice; he seems to suffer from chronic sinusitis or something.

Lord knows I can make ****** posts, but I like Boler because he has great pipes.

Lock has an annoying voice, knows way more and tries way too hard to come up with catch phrases. He's way harder for me to listen to than Boler.

That said, we were doomed the moment Hod Rod left.

****ing miss that guy.