What's new

Another mass shooting

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
22 killed so far and over 50 wounded and the murderer is still on the loose in Lewiston, Maine. Where the hell is the good guy with a gun?!

The U.S.A has made it explicitly clear, we don't care. This is fine. There is no problem here. This result is worth the benefits we get from relatively unfettered access to guns.
Sadly true

The NRA will be pleased to learn the shooter had mental health problems….

““How did the ball get dropped from being in a mental institution to threatening to shoot up a military installation?” He asked. “This failed in Maine; it’s gonna fail over and over again until we address the mental health issue and how they deal with law enforcement. We have got to fix this.”

Scary part right now is if he's still alive he could be anywhere in country and do this again
Hopefully they find him dead or alive and put an end to this
Please everyone stay safe

Reactions: Red
I really hate the randomness of these things. I mean if you are pissed at the government and go shoot up a government facility or you are a disgruntled employee who shoots up their workplace or whatever at least it makes a tiny bit of sense even if its still horribly wrong.

This random crap just really really sucks. No place is safe.

Lewiston police have identified a person of interest as Robert Card, who's still at large.

Card allegedly has a history of military service and is a firearms instructor, sources said.

“I have known Rob my whole life,” Card said on Thursday. “He is quiet but the most loving, hardworking, and kind person that I know. But in the past year, he had an acute episode of mental health, and it’s been a struggle.

She said that Robert Card recently began wearing powerful hearing aids to combat hearing loss. Since then, Card said her brother-in-law has been insisting to his family that he can hear people bashing him—including at Just-In-Time Recreation bowling alley and Schemengees Bar and Grill, where he’s accused of gunning down 18 people on Wednesday night.

“He truly believed he was hearing people say things,” she added. “This all just happened within the last few months.”

“I have known Rob my whole life,” Card said on Thursday. “He is quiet but the most loving, hardworking, and kind person that I know. But in the past year, he had an acute episode of mental health, and it’s been a struggle.

She said that Robert Card recently began wearing powerful hearing aids to combat hearing loss. Since then, Card said her brother-in-law has been insisting to his family that he can hear people bashing him—including at Just-In-Time Recreation bowling alley and Schemengees Bar and Grill, where he’s accused of gunning down 18 people on Wednesday night.

“He truly believed he was hearing people say things,” she added. “This all just happened within the last few months.”

This is one of the problems with thinking that good pre-purchase screening for mental health issues is a solution for this type of thing. His mental health issues came on pretty quickly. His identity was meaningfully tied to being a gun guy. He probably held sincere beliefs about the right to own guns. When his mental health crisis started neither he or anyone close to him thought "hey, this is a situation where he needs to be separated from his guns." That's not something pro-2A people think. It probably needs to be.

Several years ago I lost a parent to cancer, shortly after as a result of my emotional (mental health) response I walked out on a very good job. I had several guns. I was depressed. I had a child entering their teen years. I was an avid target shooter. I was a very strong supporter of the 2A. My unemployment caused stress in my relationship and eventually my finances. I sold all of my guns. I told myself that I needed the money since I wasn't working, but I knew that what I really needed was not to have a murder/suicide machine seconds away from me at every emotional moment of my life at that time.

I don't think that's a common response. I think most people maintain the pride that they are responsible gun owners. They know how to handle guns and do it safely. They are one of the good guys with guns.

I've always been responsible with guns. Never more than when I separated myself from them when I was worried that I might become unsafe with them.

This is one of the problems with thinking that good pre-purchase screening for mental health issues is a solution for this type of thing. His mental health issues came on pretty quickly. His identity was meaningfully tied to being a gun guy. He probably held sincere beliefs about the right to own guns. When his mental health crisis started neither he or anyone close to him thought "hey, this is a situation where he needs to be separated from his guns." That's not something pro-2A people think. It probably needs to be.

Several years ago I lost a parent to cancer, shortly after as a result of my emotional (mental health) response I walked out on a very good job. I had several guns. I was depressed. I had a child entering their teen years. I was an avid target shooter. I was a very strong supporter of the 2A. My unemployment caused stress in my relationship and eventually my finances. I sold all of my guns. I told myself that I needed the money since I wasn't working, but I knew that what I really needed was not to have a murder/suicide machine seconds away from me at every emotional moment of my life at that time.

I don't think that's a common response. I think most people maintain the pride that they are responsible gun owners. They know how to handle guns and do it safely. They are one of the good guys with guns.

I've always been responsible with guns. Never more than when I separated myself from them when I was worried that I might become unsafe with them.

Great post man. Thank you for sharing that. People like you speaking out are what we need regarding changing our gun laws.

Robert Card, who's still at large.

Why are people at large and never at medium or small? Its nothing but fat shaming, as somebody who is typically at 3 extra large I find this deeply offensive and I'm triggered.

anyway thoughts and prayers, they seem to do an awful lot in these situations, certainly more than any meaningful gun control measures.

You know it's becoming clear why humans seem to like pitbulls. We are essentially the same. This same verbiage is employed to explain long-time family pets that suddenly kill the neighbor's kid.

Why are people at large and never at medium or small? Its nothing but fat shaming, as somebody who is typically at 3 extra large I find this deeply offensive and I'm triggered.

anyway thoughts and prayers, they seem to do an awful lot in these situations, certainly more than any meaningful gun control measures.
Have you ever seen an American?

You know it's becoming clear why humans seem to like pitbulls. We are essentially the same. This same verbiage is employed to explain long-time family pets that suddenly kill the neighbor's kid.
Apparently, our default position is violence, and we spend our lives fighting it - and we never know when it will break loose.

This is so depressing.