What's new

Ante tomic coming next season.

As of right now, I think that all four players (Favors, Kanter, Tomic and Gobert) will have to earn their playing time and learn how to fit into Snyder's system and rotation. I love the idea of having two 7 foot guys to pair with Favors and Kanter. The potential combinations between the four is fun to consider. Tomic and Kanter both favor offense, while Favors and Gobert are both sound defensively.

I think that the Jazz are smart to model the Spurs in terms of how they run their organization. A big part of that is creating as deep of a team as possible. Adding Tomic will help in that area.
This is a tangent, but none of that works without a star to build around. And the Jazz don't have one. So hopefully something changes and soon.

Me neither. But we're talking about the terms under which a person WITH OPTIONS AND LEVERAGE comes to play for the team. A point that apparently has not dawned on you.

So the Jazz should make the team worse and remove all his competition so he'll come over? I'd rather not bother if that's what he desires over everything else.

So the Jazz should make the team worse and remove all his competition so he'll come over? I'd rather not bother if that's what he desires over everything else.

I have said nothing about that. What I have said is that Tomic has options and leverage, and being paid a lot less to not play probably is not something that sounds good to him.

I have said nothing about that. What I have said is that Tomic has options and leverage, and being paid a lot less to not play probably is not something that sounds good to him.

Oh ok. Yeah, I think we all realize that. What we were discussing was how he would potentially fit if he did come over. I don't think anyone said he wouldn't play.

On the subject you're discussing, I don't think he'd use his situation to lobby for playing time because I doubt it'd work. I'm sure the Jazz will treat him like every other player. They Jazz will do what's in the best interest for the Jazz not just what's best for Tomic if their interests are conflicting.

As long as they aren't from wherever nickkk is from, we're good.

Well Exum is Australian and we fall under the commonwealth (Great Britain) so does NZ where Nikkk is from, but so does Canada, this is getting so confusing, but no same hemisphere as Nikkk but different countries, now I hope you are all as confused as I've made myself :)

Well Exum is Australian and we fall under the commonwealth (Great Britain) so does NZ where Nikkk is from, but so does Canada, this is getting so confusing, but no same hemisphere as Nikkk but different countries, now I hope you are all as confused as I've made myself :)
Well hell, if that's the case. . . let's get Wiggins instead.

I found this a few days ago after the Jazz FO comments about him. I was going to post but then I realized it was just a reaction to those very comments. Anyway now that there is already a thread who cares if it's a little shaky.

https://www.marca.com/2014/06/03/baloncesto/nba/noticias/1401778335.html

google translated
The days of Ante Tomic in Barcelona could be numbered. The NBA is coming for the former Madrid winger. Utah Jazz drafteó Croatian in 2008 and now raises serious incorporate his team for next year.

"Tomic has had a good year in Spain and is one of the best teams in Europe. We are at the point where we try to make the decision about paying his clause," explains Deseret News Vice President of the Utah Jazz Walt Perrin .

The Salt Lake franchise Tomic elected in 2008 at the 44th position in the draft and now want to strengthen your inner game with Barca winger. Player out of contract in 2015 and his departure could negotiate with Barcelona before leaving free the following summer.

With 2.17 height was compared with Pau Gasol on numerous occasions for his play and his vision on the field. Tomic has averaged 22 minutes in the Euroleague this season with 6.4 rebounds captured and 11.7 points per game.

The manager also spoke of the Jazz Base Raulzinho Neto. "We're not sure with Raul. Still have not talked about it and do not know if want to come this year or stay in the CBA for another season," concluded Perrin.

I do not know if Tomic is gonna come to the theam for the net year but if he comes, Kanter is done for the team for sure. And most def. Tomic is promised about min, trade of Kanter and money wise. He's not a classical American rookie who is humble for the min, money etc.

Tomic would never be promised minutes. For Tomic to come over, he would have to trust the coaching staff, and have fair amount of trust in himself, that there would be a fair opportunity to compete for playing time. If we get Messina, I could see that really helping the cause. If we draft a big like Vonleh or Randle, I see that hurting the cause as Tomic will know that a 5th pick will likely have an advantage in getting minutes over him because of resources invested.

Here's the thing though. . . this is exactly how draft and stash 2nd round picks are supposed to work. They picked a 1st round talent who wasn't ready and needed the time over in Europe to develop. It would have been pointless to bring him over while the team had Jefferson, Millsap, Favors and Kanter.

2013/2014 would have been the first season to really consider him, but his buyout wasn't worth it. After two solid seasons in a row AND space on the roster, now is a good time to bring him over. It all depends on the buyout. A contract in the 3-4 million range isn't unheard of, and depending on what the buyout ends up being, I can see them going up to the MLE to secure him.

It makes sense for Tomic, because he's done the work in Europe but has pretty much maxed out his value over there. If he jumps to the NBA, he has to sign a 3 year contract. No player or team options. 3 years, strait up. He'll be 30 before he can earn his 2nd NBA contract, which is where he'll really get paid.

As to his playing time, he's a good pick and roll player. The Jazz just hired a pick and roll coach. He's a veteran on a young squad. I'm not too worried about him getting quality playing time and producing. All in all, this is the best opportunity since they drafted him to have his needs (financially and with playing time) line up with the team's needs (roster spot, lower buyout, more development and a new coach/system).

IMO, there's no better time to bring him over. He might not be a star, but he adds depth and scoring. If he adjusts to the pro game and excels, then the Jazz were smart to be patient with him. The Jazz situation is not too different from when/how other teams have brought talent over. It all depends on the buyout and how much they're willing to pay him to come over.

Tomic is good, but he won't start. Even though he is older, and heralded in europe, I don't think he is ready to play starter's minutes for a full 82. Last year, he only averaged 22mins a game on a schedule where they play like once a week, right? Now you want him to jump into 82 games w/ 30 something minutes a night? Not happening. I think we'd see him off the bench, w/ the occasional start depending on matchup. Favors & Tomic, and Kanter & Gobert, & Kanter & Favors. Those three frontcourt lineups offer some serious potential.

Tomic is terrible fit for NBA. He has nothing to offer.

He is not a great fit but would be an upgrade to what Kanter gives you. That's all it really boils down to. Kanter is a year away from getting a paycheck that could be double digits per year. He regressed last year.

MercaFichajes Rumours and Transfers Football, Basketball, F1, Handball ... The Utah Jazz could pay clause Ante Tomic Posted by mercafichajes The Utah Jazz are meditating pay clause

Ante Tomic's future may lie away from the Palau Blaugrana. The Utah Jazz, which draftearon Croatian player in 2008, are seriously considering paying its clause to incorporate their p

Tomic has had a good year in Spain and is one of the best teams in Europa.Estamos at that point you try to make the decision about paying his clause," recently said the vic

Tomic, Neto, new coach, and draft picks all showing up would do wonders for my interest level. Hope there is something to this.