What's new

Ante Tomic update

Jazz4ever

Recent snippet from "La Gaceta" in Spain

How's the NBA thing right now? Ante Tomic: Nothing's going on. I don't think about it. I'm focused on playing with Real Madrid and winning titles with the team. But there were a lot of NBA scouts during the last Spanish King's Cup... Tomic: Yes, I know there were some who came to see me, but I'm committed to the Jazz and I will play with them when I go to the NBA. La Gaceta

Tomic still has a year and a half left under his Real Madrid contract but will be eligible for a buyout after the current season. They are now in the playoffs and doing very well, Tomic especially, going 14 for his last 20 at 17.5 PPG in just 21 MPG. As we know, he doesn't have the weight to play center, but still could give some much needed scoring punch to our woeful bench.

If the Jazz do not draft one of the euro bigs, they should bring him over. I'm not convinced Memo will ever be much of a contributor again. Nikola Mirotic, a likely lottery pick, is Tomic's teamate.

Recent snippet from "La Gaceta" in Spain

How's the NBA thing right now? Ante Tomic: Nothing's going on. I don't think about it. I'm focused on playing with Real Madrid and winning titles with the team. But there were a lot of NBA scouts during the last Spanish King's Cup... Tomic: Yes, I know there were some who came to see me, but I'm committed to the Jazz and I will play with them when I go to the NBA. La Gaceta

Tomic still has a year and a half left under his Real Madrid contract but will be eligible for a buyout after the current season. They are now in the playoffs and doing very well, Tomic especially, going 14 for his last 20 at 17.5 PPG in just 21 MPG. As we know, he doesn't have the weight to play center, but still could give some much needed scoring punch to our woeful bench.

If the Jazz do not draft one of the euro bigs, they should bring him over. I'm not convinced Memo will ever be much of a contributor again. Nikola Mirotic, a likely lottery pick, is Tomic's teamate.

Cool share, it would be nice to get him over and see how he plays off the bench.

As much as I personally enjoy Fes' goofyness, I'd love to see Tomic come over here just to see what he can do and get rid of Fes (although I wouldn't care if they kept Fes and tossed Elson).

this guy is too weak to play in nba, i guess everyone forgot about dragicevic, he can contribute much more

Too weak to be a big time starting center yes, but he is not "too weak to play in the nba".
Kid is very skilled on offense, and very soft on defense. He'd be a fine player coming off the bench for us.
As long as you don't have expectations of him being Gasol, or a big time player I think we'll like Tomic.

We'd be getting a Memo with a more interior game of hooks, mid range jumpers, and a lot more speed.
I'd still let him season one more year over there, but I'm fine with him coming over this summer.

Too weak to be a big time starting center yes, but he is not "too weak to play in the nba".
Kid is very skilled on offense, and very soft on defense. He'd be a fine player coming off the bench for us.
As long as you don't have expectations of him being Gasol, or a big time player I think we'll like Tomic.

We'd be getting a Memo with a more interior game of hooks, mid range jumpers, and a lot more speed.
I'd still let him season one more year over there, but I'm fine with him coming over this summer.

Better shot blocker as well. Most players dont lift a lot of weights in Europe so i am sure we could bulk him up some. His buyout may still be very high this season though.

Nobody here would argue that we need as much new talent as possible on this Jazz team. It's time to call in the picks, and cut off the old flab.

If he can give us 15 good minutes a night, then we bloody well need him, IMO

If he's got another year on his contract I don't see the Jazz buying him out. As it stands we're probably not competing for anything next year, so a contribution off the bench is not a strong need. In addition, he'd get limited playing time. May as well let him develop more as "the man" in Europe [cue people arguing how much great experience he'd get scrimmaging at the NBA level and working with the amazing trainers and coaches]. Plus, his buy-out, whatever it is, is too much to pay for marginal (any?) short OR long-term benefit.

this guy is too weak to play in nba, i guess everyone forgot about dragicevic, he can contribute much more

no... hell no

I've seen Tadija Dragicevic playing for Alba Berlin a couple of times this year and he'll probably have solid career as a bench player in Europe, but he's not a NBA caliber player

Real Madrid advance to the euroleague semifinals, equivalent to our conference finals.
Tomic with 12/9/3 on 4-11 shooting.

well, he may come from the bench, but he cant defend yao or duncan like memo did. and he cant make this 3pointer clutch shots like memo. I wanna be optimistic and say he may contirbute off the bench but i dont have too much hopes about him.

Real Madrid advance to the euroleague semifinals, equivalent to our conference finals.
Tomic with 12/9/3 on 4-11 shooting.

Real madrid, played with the worst team in last 8 in euroleague, they wouldnt beat any other team. They arent very good this year, they have interior problems in the club.But Tomic is doing pretty well, though i doubt he will play like that in nba.

well, he may come from the bench, but he cant defend yao or duncan like memo did. and he cant make this 3pointer clutch shots like memo. I wanna be optimistic and say he may contirbute off the bench but i dont have too much hopes about him.

Well, we really don't have to worry about Yao and Duncan in the years to come now do we?

Memo isn't making any clutch shots these days either. It's been a long time since Memo was "money".

Right now Tomic is a better option than Memo Okur. Although, Tomic is a horrible help
defender, he's solid on his man in this post. There are good and bad qualities about both players. Right now Tomic is healthy, Okur is not.

I've only seen Tomic's last game that he played. From what I saw, he is a pretty good scorer, has a nice touch around the rim. Showed some nice post moves as well, pretty good screener and good at knowing what his role is. Smart player on offense.

He might be one of the worst help defenders I've ever seen. Part of this is because he's incredibly slow and very weak and gets blocked out by defenders easily, the other part is because he just doesn't seem to recognize or know what to do when somebody drives the lane. Uses his length more than technique to get rebounds, which I'm not a big fan of. I saw him get good position on his man maybe 3-4 times.

Tomic is very skinny and very weak, and while he has good skills he isn't even strong enough to physically compete in Europe. I don't know how he'll ever be strong enough to compete over here.

Well, we really don't have to worry about Yao and Duncan in the years to come now do we?

Memo isn't making any clutch shots these days either. It's been a long time since Memo was "money".

Right now Tomic is a better option than Memo Okur. Although, Tomic is a horrible help
defender, he's solid on his man in this post. There are good and bad qualities about both players. Right now Tomic is healthy, Okur is not.

i gave them as big man example, there will be new yao , fes im sure. But i dont know about Tomic, i cant really feel comfortable without seeing him play. He looks like a perfect european player but not good enough for nba. We will see, i hope im wrong

i gave them as big man example, there will be new yao , fes im sure. But i dont know about Tomic, i cant really feel comfortable without seeing him play. He looks like a perfect european player but not good enough for nba. We will see, i hope im wrong

haha i told fes unintentionally , my apologies, i ment duncan
maybe fes is the first big man i can think of

KoC has this all figured out. Memo plays out his contract next year, we sign Tomic to replace him and use him off the bench. I doubt Memo retires this off season, although I don't see him contributing much next season. With his contract, he'll try to come back...