What's new

Anybody currently collect cards??

I actually bought some cards the other day. They are draft redemption cards with a number on the front and the corresponding player picked at that number, you get a card from Panini Signatures. Not sure what kind, it could be a refractor or serial numbered or an auto or just an xrc. I bought four of them:

#10 - Elfrid Payton
#12 - Dario Saric
#14 - T.J. Warren
#25 - Clint Capela

I really wanted a Dante Exum one which would be #5, but they were/are going for $50-75 easily. Every card boomed up in price right after the draft because they knew which player they were getting. I could have gotten a #5 for somewhere around $35-45 before the draft, but I didn't want to be stuck with a Noah Vonleh, plus there was a possibility the Jazz were going to trade the pick.

I bought them as an investment and also because I love collecting cards, after watching Payton and Warren in SL I thought "why not'? I bought the Saric and Capela because they were really cheap at the time.

This is what the they (redemption cards) look like:

dq3zmv.jpg

That one is the Elfrid Payton one and this is what is says on the back of them:

This Panini NBA Draft Pick X-Change Card may be redeemed for a 2013-14 Panini Signatures NBA Draft Pick card of a player selected during the 2014 NBA Draft. The draft pick selection number corresponds with the number printed on the front of this X-Change Card.

It doesn't specify what kind of card you are getting, while many speculate it will be an auto, I'm just not sure enough to be spending that much money on an Exum one. The Wiggins #1 card and a Parker #2 card are both going for $100+. Even a Rodney Hood #23 card is going for around $20, Jazz fans are very die-hard and loyal when it comes to basketball cards.

I actually bought some cards the other day. They are draft redemption cards with a number on the front and the corresponding player picked at that number, you get a card from Panini Signatures. Not sure what kind, it could be a refractor or serial numbered or an auto or just an xrc. I bought four of them:

#10 - Elfrid Payton
#12 - Dario Saric
#14 - T.J. Warren
#25 - Clint Capela

I really wanted a Dante Exum one which would be #5, but they were/are going for $50-75 easily. Every card boomed up in price right after the draft because they knew which player they were getting. I could have gotten a #5 for somewhere around $35-45 before the draft, but I didn't want to be stuck with a Noah Vonleh, plus there was a possibility the Jazz were going to trade the pick.

I bought them as an investment and also because I love collecting cards, after watching Payton and Warren in SL I thought "why not'? I bought the Saric and Capela because they were really cheap at the time.

This is what the they (redemption cards) look like:

dq3zmv.jpg

That one is the Elfrid Payton one and this is what is says on the back of them:

This Panini NBA Draft Pick X-Change Card may be redeemed for a 2013-14 Panini Signatures NBA Draft Pick card of a player selected during the 2014 NBA Draft. The draft pick selection number corresponds with the number printed on the front of this X-Change Card.

It doesn't specify what kind of card you are getting, while many speculate it will be an auto, I'm just not sure enough to be spending that much money on an Exum one. The Wiggins #1 card and a Parker #2 card are both going for $100+. Even a Rodney Hood #23 card is going for around $20, Jazz fans are very die-hard and loyal when it comes to basketball cards.

Sweet. So you sell cards on ebay and stuff?

Sweet. So you sell cards on ebay and stuff?

Sell and buy. My dad has over 1150+ 100% positive feedback on eBay. He doesn't have the time nor the motivation to put them up on eBay himself so he just gives me some cards and prices to sell them for. I scan pictures of them as well as post them.

I kno, right?!?!

def shoulda bought the #5 redemption before draft night.

Oh well!!

LOL!

Card collecting gonna be off tha heezy with this years rookie class.

Without a doubt, bro. I was also looking at buying a Giannis autograph card, but the cheapest one out there is $30.

Sell and buy. My dad has over 1150+ 100% positive feedback on eBay. He doesn't have the time nor the motivation to put them up on eBay himself so he just gives me some cards and prices to sell them for. I scan pictures of them as well as post them.

LOL!

Without a doubt, bro. I was also looking at buying a Giannis autograph card, but the cheapest one out there is $30.

If you bought like $1,000 of cards, how much of your money you think you'd get back after all the ebay'ing?

I kinda want to (strictly for fun) buy a decent amount of cards, keep a few, then have someone sell the rest for me to get some of the money back.

Basically, I just want to open a bunch of packs of cards, have a chance at getting something super rad, all the while not losing tons of money. Ya know?

Also, I never want to log onto ebay lol

If you bought like $1,000 of cards, how much of your money you think you'd get back after all the ebay'ing?

I kinda want to (strictly for fun) buy a decent amount of cards, keep a few, then have someone sell the rest for me to get some of the money back.

Basically, I just want to open a bunch of packs of cards, have a chance at getting something super rad, all the while not losing tons of money. Ya know?

Also, I never want to log onto ebay lol

This will never happen. Unless you attend trade shows on the reg, have major hookups in the industry, or travel and buy large estate sales, you just won't make a dime. Card collecting is, and always has been, a money loser for 99.99% of the public. It's damn fun, and I'm not into it nearly as much as I was when I was younger, but I have a collection that rivals most I would bet. Highlights of my collection include Walter Payton rookie, some rare Jordan's (no Star rookie card though -- could never bring myself to pay that much), rare Bryant rookie insert, Steve Young autographed rookie, Merlin Olsen cards, Butkis, O.J. Simpson, Montana, Marino, etc. I have tens of thousands of baseball cards; probably triples of every card manufactured from 87 to 91, when combined, might be worth a buck.

Tried to sell a bunch on eBay a few years ago (was a power seller with 10k positive FB), and I was lucky to get ten cents on the dollar for what they were "worth". On top of that, eBay and PayPal fees were so outrageous, it didn't take long before I gave up that endeavor. Shipping was also a major pain in the ***.

tl;dr

Save your money, and your cards. Give them to your kids or nephews; you'll get much more enjoyment than you will by attempting to sell them.

This will never happen. Unless you attend trade shows on the reg, have major hookups in the industry, or travel and buy large estate sales, you just won't make a dime. Card collecting is, and always has been, a money loser for 99.99% of the public. It's damn fun, and I'm not into it nearly as much as I was when I was younger, but I have a collection that rivals most I would bet. Highlights of my collection include Walter Payton rookie, some rare Jordan's (no Star rookie card though -- could never bring myself to pay that much), rare Bryant rookie insert, Steve Young autographed rookie, Merlin Olsen cards, Butkis, O.J. Simpson, Montana, Marino, etc. I have tens of thousands of baseball cards; probably triples of every card manufactured from 87 to 91, when combined, might be worth a buck.

Tried to sell a bunch on eBay a few years ago (was a power seller with 10k positive FB), and I was lucky to get ten cents on the dollar for what they were "worth". On top of that, eBay and PayPal fees were so outrageous, it didn't take long before I gave up that endeavor. Shipping was also a major pain in the ***.

tl;dr

Save your money, and your cards. Give them to your kids or nephews; you'll get much more enjoyment than you will by attempting to sell them.

All I wanna do is open the cards, be guaranteed at least half my money back, and have a chance of getting some insane Wiggins card or something.

All I wanna do is open the cards, be guaranteed at least half my money back, and have a chance of getting some insane Wiggins card or something.

Well, you're on the right track with not getting money back, but I think 50% is wildly optimistic.

@Trout, I've got a bunch of these 70-71 Topps Jerry Sloans. Not his best look, but still...

2013-148Fr.jpg

Outstanding! I'm kind of ashamed that I don't have any Sloan cards.