What's new

Anyone else really turned off by this FA season?

KhaOZ

I just feel like, if it looked like a long shot of us being a ring winning team before, after seeing these superstars hold the league hostage to try and build their own super teams, there's no way anything is happening.

It feels like it's going the way of baseball, where big market teams will be the only teams to have a chance, and the rest of us struggle to keep a single star, who eventually goes to the Yankees anyway.

Maybe I'm alone in this, and if so, oh well. I just feel really turned off by this whole free agency season and the looming lockout. Players like wade and bosh are running around with film crews, creating false drama to up the interest in their documentaries. Bosh then stating that he'd follow Lebron unless Lebron stayed in Cleveland, cause he wont go to a small market team.

It's all sad and frustrating, and I'm rapidly losing interest in the NBA. It's losing its relevancy.

If I wanted to watch fixed lopsided teams slaughter country bumpkins, i'd go to a Harlem Globe Trotter game.

This FA is like when Star Wars Episode 1 came out. Huge hype followed by equally huge disappointment. Atlanta signing Joe Johnson for 120 million was pretty hilarious and entertaining though.

Your joking right? Episode 1 was the best.

You're thinking of Episode IV, which introduces Luke Skywalker on his home planet of Tatooine. Episode I was the one with Anikan Skywalker (i.e., Darth Vader) as a young boy with mechanical skills.

This year is hype because neither Bosh nor Amare is going to win anyone a championship...or even carry their teams deep into the playoffs.
Joe Johnson's contract is getting inflated as badly as Gilbert Arenas' and Rashard Lewis', and he's not going to carry the Hawks further than he did this year.

Sure, it's all about LeBron and whether he'll make some new team an instant contender. Then D. Wade may change teams. Some drama there.

It's true the players want the trifecta of big bucks, a contending team, and a big media market with nightlife. That makes it really tough for smaller market teams to compete. Smaller market teams pretty much have to win the lottery and draft a superstar.

Last edited:
This is nothing new. We are just used to Stock and Malone. The Lakers and Celtics rings should be proof enough.

Duncan and Dirk are the minorities.

I have to agree that this is really depressing as a basketball fan to watch. We are going to end up with 3 or 4 super teams. (Lakers are already there of course) and those teams well be the ones who win over and over again. While the rest of use little teams get to battle for the left overs and maybe get lucky.

If you think this current offseason is a turnoff, just wait until next year's thrilling summer of CBA negotiations. 3 months of rich people arguing with each other will have to you begging for the current free agency craziness.

As far as the NBA turning into baseball? Major League Baseball has had more separate franchises win the World Series in the past twenty years than the NBA has. There's also about 9 or 10 more multiple title winners in MLB than the NBA.

Not turned off at all. Employees, at any job, should be free to go work where they feel they want to if they can.

I have to agree that this is really depressing as a basketball fan to watch. We are going to end up with 3 or 4 super teams. (Lakers are already there of course) and those teams well be the ones who win over and over again. While the rest of use little teams get to battle for the left overs and maybe get lucky.

Not sure how you think the NBA will suddenly have 4 "super teams". Outside of the Lakers, the closest to already being there are the Celtics, who aren't getting any younger in a conference overflowing with young and upcoming players. When all is said and done, the big 5 free agents (LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Amare and Boozer) could all end up on different teams. If any of those players end up playing together, it will likely be Bosh playing with LeBron or Wade, but still highly unlikely the three of them will all end up in the same uniform.

You're looking at maybe 2 "super teams" next season, at most.

You're looking at maybe 2 "super teams" next season, at most.

With guys like Dirk, JJ, and Gay going back to there own teams I think that it cuts it down to 2-3 super teams. Lakers in the West with everyone else looking up. And in the East if Lebron goes to the Nets with Bosh. And Wade to the Bulls with Boozer then you have those 2 on top of the East.

Bulls Line up:
D-Rose
D-Wade
Deng
Boozer
Noah

Nets:
Harris
Lee or another FA going there because Lebron did
LeBron
Bosh
Lopez

Those 2 teams would dominate the East.

If it goes like baseball more teams will win it all?

17 different teams have won the World Series in the last 25 years
7 in the NBA in the last 25 years.

Wade's not leaving Miami unless he's playing with LeBron and/or Bosh. If Wade is playing with Boozer next year, he's doing it in a Heat uniform.

By your scenario, sure, there's 3 super teams. But your scenario is highly unlikely. It's far more possible that LeBron and Wade stay where they're at, Bosh goes to Houston via S&T with Toronto, Amare ends up in New York and Boozer signs with New Jersey.

Hopefully this is making the other owners mad as well and they really up the luxury tax penalty. Could you imagine if teams had to pay 3 dollars for every dollar over?

I am growing tired of all the yackity yak about LeBron & Co, but I don't know if it has turned me off anymore than the playoffs, games against the LAkers, NBA 'Officiating', or national broadcasts slant.... its all about marketing the stars. It has been the halmark of Stern's NBA for 20 something years. Basketball strategy, teams, coaches, and the game itself have allways had to take a back seat to marketing, and unless there is significant fan & sponsor complaints subsequent off seasons will follow this same pattern. Can you imagine the Jazz trying to compete against some of the tactics used by the other teams this offseason?

Intersesting to see if new CBA tries to curb this model of FA recruting, or limit players ability to collude.

I'm turned off by Lebron. The dude offends me on multiple levels. Waaaaayyyyy too cocky, self-promoting, and in love with himself.

But as far as the rest of the FA pool as a whole, meh, they're trying to get paid, just like everyone else.

** episode I didn't suck, with the exception of the maddeningly annoying jarjar binks. episode II was downright horrible with all that painful writing. but ep I was at least enjoyable if you could watch it without expectations.
** joe johnson signing for the max isn't hilarious. he was pretty much regarded as a max guy.
** i'm not gonna assume that nothing exciting is going to happen this offseason just because the jazz FO is quiet in the media. if, however, they don't find a way to bring some basketball assets in this summer, i'll be disappointed.
** non-basketball assets the jazz have to assist them in their quest for basketball assets: boozer's bird rights (to retain or S&T), korver's bird rights, rights of first refusal on matthews, ROFR on fes, 3 TPEs, MLE, BAE, a very tradable millsap, a very tradable miles.

I just feel like, if it looked like a long shot of us being a ring winning team before, after seeing these superstars hold the league hostage to try and build their own super teams, there's no way anything is happening. QUOTE]

Mos def.

This off season has made me think The Jazz will never win a title.

Atleast The Utes are in The Pac 12 now.

If owners have their way there will be no more collusion. I personally think Free Agents can do whatever they want. Owners seemingly want all the power. The only people owners should blame for these guys getting so much money is themselves for paying it out.

If owners have their way there will be no more collusion. I personally think Free Agents can do whatever they want. Owners seemingly want all the power. The only people owners should blame for these guys getting so much money is themselves for paying it out.

Stop spamming this garbage.