What's new

Anyone else think we should've kept Millsap?

l Abach l

As I'm watching the Hawks/Celtics game (Millsap currently has 45 points), did the Jazz make a mistake in letting him walk? Hindsight is 20/20, but can you imagine Millsap next to Gobert? Would've been fun to see...

As I'm watching the Hawks/Celtics game (Millsap currently has 45 points), did the Jazz make a mistake in letting him walk? Hindsight is 20/20, but can you imagine Millsap next to Gobert? Would've been fun to see...
I was always concerned about Millsap's size. When he left I was saying that we needed him to accept a bench role and that if he could do that the Jazz would be great. Obviously he's more than a bench player, but if he had accepted that role here, well, the Jazz would have been great.

I was always concerned about Millsap's size. When he left I was saying that we needed him to accept a bench role and that if he could do that the Jazz would be great. Obviously he's more than a bench player, but if he had accepted that role here, well, the Jazz would have been great.

Lack of size can be made compromised when you have someone like Gobert helping.

Kanter should have accepted the bench role.

Absolutely ****ing incredible.

Everyone is aware that Millsap in year five and beyond is better than Favors has ever been (and he just finished year 6), right? Apparently not.

But sure, you're not technically wrong. Ginobili has been better than the player he subs in for as well.

Unless Exum turns into an extremely good player, it certifiably was a mistake (Gobert and Hood still would've been available to draft). Even if that means they traded Millsap. Totally wasted asset.

Nah, milsap was standing in the way of Kanter's development. Besides there s no place for an undersized 4 who shoots threes in the modern NBA.

Lets not forget about Wes Mathews and Kyle Korver.

This thread is way better than the Kanter regret one.

Absolutely ****ing incredible.

Everyone is aware that Millsap in year five and beyond is better than Favors has ever been (and he just finished year 6), right? Apparently not.

But sure, you're not technically wrong. Ginobili has been better than the player he subs in for as well.

Did Millsap join the NBA after his freshman year as well?

Lets not forget about Wes Mathews and Kyle Korver.

This thread is way better than the Kanter regret one.

Richard Jefferson, mo williams, DeMarre Carol,Randy Foye, Deron Williams, Devin Harris, big Al, Marvin Williams...

I am tempted to start a thread for each of them. And another one for Scott Layden after the Minny Wuffs get a top 5 pick.

Millsap is also a reflection of the NBA trending towards valuing and exploiting players of his skillet.

In the days of the Gasols, Duncans, and Nowitzkis, Millsap could never stand a chance to guard them. As post-ups have dwindled and pick-and-rolls have boosted, it again maximizes where he dominates on defense-- getting into passing lanes, keeping up with players. Millsap can switch onto basically any player 1-4 these days, because there aren't too many who can completely dominate that matchup.

I think that was the thinking when we let Millsap go. We misjudged what we needed defensively from our PF-- DFav represents a more traditional prototype of defensive stalwart (fortunately he's good at a lot of the stuff that Sap does too).

I also prefer having a trio of Rudy/Fav/Lyles to Rudy/Sap/Lyles, because the former provides infinite versatility really (especially if Trey can becomes a plus defender). Obvs would be dope if we had Millsap as a backup big but of course he would have seeked options elsewhere

I have always been a vocal supporter of Millsap. I wanted to keep Millsap with a three big lineup of favors Kanter and sap. Then we drafted Rudy. Rudy favors and sap would be truly epic.

Lyles will be pretty awesome too, but we could have a borderline contender with Sap right now.

Not a real contender, but probably as good as Atlanta.

There's a large contingent of Jazz fans that will bury their heads up their asses no matter what Millsap does and I have to either accept that or do a better job of ignoring buffoonery.

Re-signing Millsap in 2013 means we don't draft Exum in 2014. As great as Millsap is & as much of a question mark as Exum still is (even more so now that he is coming off of an injury), Millsap's presence is unlikely to propel this team to title contention (although re-signing him likely changes our current roster structure so it's impossible to definitively say that) while Exum reaching his ceiling still makes that a possibility.

Not only is Exum a better fit with our core due to his age & position, re-signing Millsap likely doesn't alter Kanter's fate with the team (although it may have sped it up which in return might have allowed us to recoup more value in return). It also could have potentially disrupted/delayed Gobert's development as well as caused us to miss out/pass up on drafting Lyles in 2015.

As hard as it is to watch this team miss out on the playoffs by a single game while a fan favorite excells, I believe the team made the right decision in the long run. Ultimately, Exum & Lyles (+ GSW's 2017 1st rd pick) along with Burks, Hood (who could've still been the selection in 2014 without the GSW trade), Hayward, Favors, & Gobert gives us a better chance at a future championship than Millsap (+ whoever is drafted in place of Lyles) does.

There's a large contingent of Jazz fans that will bury their heads up their asses no matter what Millsap does and I have to either accept that or do a better job of ignoring buffoonery.
Or neither.

And I'm not sure buffoonery explains the strange fixation on length. Who enjoys daily reminders of their inadequacies, even when perched safely high up in the cab of their lifted pickup? There's something self-affirming about proclaiming 'we have length!'

Or neither.

And I'm not sure buffoonery explains the strange fixation on length. Who enjoys daily reminders of their inadequacies, even when perched safely high up in the cab of their lifted pickup? There's something self-affirming about proclaiming 'we have length!'

Length & rim-protection was largely the reason why very good Jazz teams got buzz-sawed by the Lakers in the late 2000s. Understandable why we'd have that in mind.