What's new

Are the Jazz going to trade Rudy?

I don't know what these negotiations are like... its one thing I'd love to be a fly on the wall for.

As a body language doctor I think the on court stuff with DM and Rudy has been much better. DM is looking for him early and often...Rudy seems to be back to his normal defensive effort and impact. The interactions between the two seem really positive.

I do think he wants to be here... I've always been given the impression he want to earn a title here and that he respects the belief the Jazz have in him as a player. I think the all star stuff got in both DM and Rudy's heads. I think it was a contract year (kind of) for both. I think if they are both paid and respected that stuff smooths over. The virus bringing it all to the surface may have been a good thing instead of a long term simmer they had a fist fight and got over it.
I think Donovan getting moved to the primary ball handler spot solved a lot of issues. We were force feeding Rubio and then Conley while expecting Don to just catch fire when the offense stagnated. Don had to create and then that would sometimes mean Rudy didn't get the ball enough.

Now, we just take a step out of the process and let Don run the PNR with Rudy. When we need chance creation, we have Clarkson for that.

I was actually on to the Rudy DM stuff early last year. Their interactions were pretty confrontational on court... a lot of times it was DM and he generally just much more positive in his interactions with others. I would also see Rudy open and them shoot a floater and he'd kinda do the hang your head thing. DM throwing some passes even when they aren't there I think engages Rudy a bit.

The on the court stuff was very real IMO. There were a lot of players who acted and played selfishly last season, Gobert and Mitchell were both guilty and that was the heart of their issues. But the general public/media think the conflict centers around covid, and I think that part of beef was way overblown. I agree that the on court partnership is looking better, and maybe Quin is trying to avoid some of that anyways by staggering Gobert.

I think Donovan getting moved to the primary ball handler spot solved a lot of issues. We were force feeding Rubio and then Conley while expecting Don to just catch fire when the offense stagnated. Don had to create and then that would sometimes mean Rudy didn't get the ball enough.

Now, we just take a step out of the process and let Don run the PNR with Rudy. When we need chance creation, we have Clarkson for that.
I agree here... gives DM his touches early too so he can still get his shots while also creating. Should simplify Conley's role (just ****ing shoot) and he seems to be doing well there. DM is also better in the pick and roll than Mike so putting him on ball more makes sense.

I think DM being dynamic off the dribble and Rudy rolling hard is what is creating all these open threes. The paint is packed when they do it and we keep getting open looks. I think we finally realized that trading all those mid rangers and floaters for threes is like a ****ing super power.

A word of caution... we won't get as many free throws and there will be nights we go 10/38 and it looks like ****.

The on the court stuff was very real IMO. There were a lot of players who acted and played selfishly last season, Gobert and Mitchell were both guilty and that was the heart of their issues. But the general public/media think the conflict centers around covid, and I think that part of beef was way overblown. I agree that the on court partnership is looking better, and maybe Quin is trying to avoid some of that anyways by staggering Gobert.
Agree... I think the Covid thing was the straw that broke the camels back and made the struggle public to non-jazz fans that had kinda been reading the tea leaves. In a way it is good... like having the actual fight with your wife instead of being passive aggressive for months.

We will see... only pre-season and not super stressful yet. It looks better though.

I agree here... gives DM his touches early too so he can still get his shots while also creating. Should simplify Conley's role (just ****ing shoot) and he seems to be doing well there. DM is also better in the pick and roll than Mike so putting him on ball more makes sense.

I think DM being dynamic off the dribble and Rudy rolling hard is what is creating all these open threes. The paint is packed when they do it and we keep getting open looks. I think we finally realized that trading all those mid rangers and floaters for threes is like a ****ing super power.

A word of caution... we won't get as many free throws and there will be nights we go 10/38 and it looks like ****.

I also have concerns about not getting to the line and ignoring Rudy too much on the roll. He hasn't gotten many FGA, but PHX and LAC were very committed to taking out Rudy first so passing it out for a 3 isn't a bad option. Wayyyy better than floaters. The quick trigger on the 3 will also help us limit turnovers which has been a huge problem for us. The best way to prevent a turnover is to shoot the the ball, Trey Burke sends his regards...

With Mitchell in particular, I would like to see him go all the way and attack the big. The floater is a low percentage shot, but it's double bad because it allows the big to stay in position to box out Rudy. I would rather have Mitchell go all the way to the rim and throw up some garbage/try to draw a foul because it at least makes the big contest and gives Rudy a good chance at the offensive rebound. We've seen this happen to us so many times when Rudy contests but nobody is there to box out his man. This can be another way to get Rudy some more shots.

Kevin Love makes $30 and people hate his contract. Chris Paul at $44 is an issue with most.

Sorry if I want to prepare for the worst. I'm a hopeful person, but I'm also cautious.

Re-signing to just trade him if things go south is too risky. He's not a PG or wing who can carve out a role. At 32 or 33, he might be unplayable come playoff time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Kevin Love and Chris Paul is your comparison? The Chris Paul that just got the Thunder multiple first round picks in a trade?

We plain and simple aren’t going to get a better player than Rudy anytime soon. If he and Conley walk we will literally have 15M in cap space.

We trade Rudy and we’re looking at 50 cents on the dollar if we’re lucky. He’s an expiring contract with no guarantee of him re-signing. The Spurs got DeRozan and Poeltl for Kawhi in the same exact situation.

Just pay him and if it is an overpay then so be it. Our best shot at a title currently is right now and the next 2-3 years with Don and Rudy.

Kevin Love and Chris Paul is your comparison? The Chris Paul that just got the Thunder multiple first round picks in a trade?

We plain and simple aren’t going to get a better player than Rudy anytime soon. If he and Conley walk we will literally have 15M in cap space.

We trade Rudy and we’re looking at 50 cents on the dollar if we’re lucky. He’s an expiring contract with no guarantee of him re-signing. The Spurs got DeRozan and Poeltl for Kawhi in the same exact situation.

Just pay him and if it is an overpay then so be it. Our best shot at a title currently is right now and the next 2-3 years with Don and Rudy.
We can rationalize, even me, giving him a big contract because we are better with him the next couple years. Still doesn't mean that years 4 and 5 of the contract are worth it.

We better be contenders is all I'm saying. Rudy at 32 and 33 making $40+ might be very, very bad.

We can rationalize, even me, giving him a big contract because we are better with him the next couple years. Still doesn't mean that years 4 and 5 of the contract are worth it.

We better be contenders is all I'm saying. Rudy at 32 and 33 making $40+ might be very, very bad.

A lot can happen by that time. No matter what his contract will still be moveable. We can always move off of it.

I don’t know about you but I’d rather have multiple legit shots at a championship over starting a rebuild right now during the same exact time we have Mitchell locked up for 5 years.

A lot can happen by that time. No matter what his contract will still be moveable. We can always move off of it.

I don’t know about you but I’d rather have multiple legit shots at a championship over starting a rebuild right now during the same exact time we have Mitchell locked up for 5 years.
We could also be rebuilding and having an albatross deal like that really doesn't hurt (like Cleveland with Love or OKC with Horford).

I don't think we will have a contention window for like the next 9 years. We have the next 3-4 years and then we likely need to pivot. I don't expect DM to be a Jazz lifer... if he is then awesome. Its really rare in the NBA nowadays.

We could also be rebuilding and having an albatross deal like that really doesn't hurt (like Cleveland with Love or OKC with Horford).

I don't think we will have a contention window for like the next 9 years. We have the next 3-4 years and then we likely need to pivot. I don't expect DM to be a Jazz lifer... if he is then awesome. Its really rare in the NBA nowadays.

LoPo wants us to go full OKC mode right now. I totally agree 3-4 years of serious contention and then we see what happens. Why start a rebuild 3-4 years earlier than you need to (especially when that rebuild will be severely handicapped).

If the Jazz want to keep Gobert they may have to over-pay. Truth of the matter is tons of teams have cap space this summer (some of them were hoping to sign Giannis). With Giannis signing an extension and Paul George signing an extension - Rudy Gobert just became the 3rd best free agent available after Lebron and Kwahi.

The Miami Heat could be interested in playing a twin towers front court with Gobert and Bam.
The Mavericks ARE interested in having twin towers of Gobert and Porzingis.

Most dangerous of all - San Antonio will have 32 million in committed salary next season - and they've had their eye on Gobert for a while.

We want Gobert at a discount, but we have to pay market price.

There are teams willing to max Rudy without a second thought. Add Atlanta and Boston to the list with Dallas and San Antonio. Toronto would consider it too probably.

Y’all don’t know what an NBA diva is if you think Gobert is one. My goodness.
Wanting to win and thinking him getting the ball at the rim more will help is apparently diva ****.

The amount of dirty work he does that doesn’t get noticed or appreciated likely finally got to him a little and so he complained a bit... even the fans on this site look at his raw numbers and don’t appreciate what he does.

The thing that might make Rudy walk is what we (almost unanimously) love about him; he takes pride in what he does. Donovan dicked him and hung him out to dry over covid, and the organization didn’t utter a peep of support for Rudy.

I don’t think this is finances, I think Rudy wants to feel like he’s not married to a team ready to malign him whenever they think it’s the strategically correct move (like it was in the spring when they wanted to keep Mitchell optimally invested in the franchise).

Wanting to win and thinking him getting the ball at the rim more will help is apparently diva ****.

The amount of dirty work he does that doesn’t get noticed or appreciated likely finally got to him a little and so he complained a bit... even the fans on this site look at his raw numbers and don’t appreciate what he does.
He makes all of the ball-stopping anti-Jazz basketball work and all he asks is to be passed the ball when he’s open because it wins games. But sure, I guess let’s make him the enemy for not acing every Mike Conley PR Academy exam.

He makes all of the ball-stopping anti-Jazz basketball work and all he asks is to be passed the ball when he’s open because it wins games. But sure, I guess let’s make him the enemy for not acing every Mike Conley PR Academy exams.
Bruh he also cried once... he’s emotional... can’t be emotional and win championships... robots win championships.

They guy is extremely competitive and has a high care factor. Sometimes when you have that it gets the best of you. Don’t confuse it with being a diva.

He makes all of the ball-stopping anti-Jazz basketball work and all he asks is to be passed the ball when he’s open because it wins games. But sure, I guess let’s make him the enemy for not acing every Mike Conley PR Academy exams.

Pay attention here cause this part is important: He can't catch passes from his teammates on a consistent enough basis to demand the ball! So then when he cries about it, yes he's full of himself and being a diva.

He needs to look himself in the mirror and actually develop a set of skills offensively other than dunking and screening, this is year 8 after all.

Bruh he also cried once... he’s emotional... can’t be emotional and win championships... robots win championships.

I remember when people talked **** about Deron because he was passionate on the court and wanted to win. People thought he was turning into a cancer and wanted him gone cause diva bitch players like AK47 were not pulling their weight and cried about it.

The thing that might make Rudy walk is what we (almost unanimously) love about him; he takes pride in what he does. Donovan dicked him and hung him out to dry over covid, and the organization didn’t utter a peep of support for Rudy.

I don’t think this is finances, I think Rudy wants to feel like he’s not married to a team ready to malign him whenever they think it’s the strategically correct move (like it was in the spring when they wanted to keep Mitchell optimally invested in the franchise).
I’ve already excommunicated AK from the franchise in my mind. Comparing Gobert to AL should likewise be an excommunicable offense.