What's new

Are the Jazz going to trade Rudy?

He's decent, but does he give 110 every night like Don? Does he have the sweetest stroke in the game like Bogey? Does he sumo wrestle muscle bound alphas like Favors? Hell, he's not even funny like Nyang and Ingles. It's been so long since he led the league in blocks or rebounds. Yeah, he had a good run with the DPOYs but those days are done. I mean he's tall, that's about the best I can say about him. But do we give him Lebron/Giannis money for that?
Jebus really... I love Don but if you think he gives 110% you haven’t watched his defense. I’m sorry he isn’t getting enough stats for you.

We literally would have 15M of cap space if Conley and Rudy both walked. Nowhere near the amount needed for a star player. People think because they both came off the books that we’d have infinite cap space.
And people forget that the team gonna stay in SLC. Even with infinite cap space we'd be lucky to get an aging star that has worse impact.

When he re-signs and leads us to a bunch of wins I look forward to the amount of bitching that goes on because he isn’t averaging 20 pts a game. I swear some of the people here either don’t watch basketball or don’t understand what they see. When we get 50+ 3 point attempts like the other night the reason that happens is because defenses have decided to commit everyone to stopping the drives and not letting Rudy get 5-6 dunks a night... he’s a tremendous help on offense and is willing to do the most thankless **** because he knows it helps us win.

He likely still the best defender in the league but not the most versatile... if the perimeter defense improves it will magnify what Rudy does on defense.

Oh my reading some of this. No. You shouldn’t, and the Jazz won’t pay Rudy the super-max. I’m guessing something f around $200 million is agreed to. If it’s not, I’m fine with it and watching the current team play this team out. I know some of you want to sugar coat Dons PO, but he’s leaving. You have 3 years. Don’t sit here and think that the Jazz should do this trade Rudy stuff because it’s not going to change Donovan’s mind. He’s going to be gone in the next 3-4 years regardless of what’s done now, so my main point on that is, don’t worry about keeping him happy beyond this current contract. It’s not going to matter. Do what’s best for the short term overall. You have a great player in Rudy and you try to retain him, but don’t do something stupid like a super max which they won’t. If something isn’t agreed to, I don’t expect Rudy to be traded especially if the team looks successful. I’d almost rather it isn’t agreed to in the next couple days so we can see where this season goes before throwing $200 million at him. Rudy is 28, he’d be 33 on the last year of the contract. Not terrible, but he needs to stay really good.

He likely still the best defender in the league but not the most versatile... if the perimeter defense improves it will magnify what Rudy does on defense.
I’m in one of my drum-beating phases, but RHJ/Shaq allows you to toggle back to pre-2019-2020 defensive teams (better?) when necessary, and then run back to (presumably) a much better offensive team this year than any other in recent history, or any mixture of the two.

I want to wake up Monday to news that’s we’ve made a waiver claim.

And yet according to Grant Afseth (thanks LoPo), the Jazz are expected to give him the supermax.:confused:

You can choose to believe that a rando internet blogger for the Pacers is more wired into the situation than anyone else. But even if you believed that, this rando is not even saying it’s the supermax.

Seriously, how can people be so gullible? Take two seconds to consider what the source of information. More importantly, think about where it’s not coming from. This happens every year. Random people trying to make a name for themselves because a broken clock is still correct twice a day.

It works every single time. Doesn’t matter who you are. You can cover a different team. You can cover a different sport altogether. As long as you tweet out some juicy “reporting” people will eat that **** up. If you were wrong, you stay a nobody. If you are right, you’re apparently an insider.

Actually, forget all of that. I have insider sources that Rudy Gobert will finalize a deal close to the normal max, but not the supermax. This comes from insider knowledge that is known to me and not any local or national reporter focused on the Jazz. Trust me.

When he re-signs and leads us to a bunch of wins I look forward to the amount of bitching that goes on because he isn’t averaging 20 pts a game. I swear some of the people here either don’t watch basketball or don’t understand what they see. When we get 50+ 3 point attempts like the other night the reason that happens is because defenses have decided to commit everyone to stopping the drives and not letting Rudy get 5-6 dunks a night... he’s a tremendous help on offense and is willing to do the most thankless **** because he knows it helps us win.

People are more concerned about the optics. High salary numbers and the “supermax” label are scaring people. In reality, none of that really matters. What matters is the best path forward for the franchise.

I still haven’t seen anyone complaining about the big numbers explain how the path without him is better. Fake trades that only exist on Jazzfanz is about the closest thing we’ll get.

You made great points about Rudy’s value, but to me this negotiation is much more than that. As great as Rudy is, what really makes Gobert worth the money is that the other alternatives are so bad. I think it’s reasonable to fear that Gobert will be overpaid. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it anyways. Overpaying your best player isn’t good. It’s also not good to lose him for nothing and have $15M in cap space to replace he and Conley.

I feel like people are rejecting the idea out of principle rather than logic. Overpaying Rudy and being a good team is somehow worse than not overpaying and being a bad team until Mitchell leaves.

People are more concerned about the optics. High salary numbers and the “supermax” label are scaring people. In reality, none of that really matters. What matters is the best path forward for the franchise.

I still haven’t seen anyone complaining about the big numbers explain how the path without him is better. Fake trades that only exist on Jazzfanz is about the closest thing we’ll get.

You made great points about Rudy’s value, but to me this negotiation is much more than that. As great as Rudy is, what really makes Gobert worth the money is that the other alternatives are so bad. I think it’s reasonable to fear that Gobert will be overpaid. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it anyways. Overpaying your best player isn’t good. It’s also not good to lose him for nothing and have $15M in cap space to replace he and Conley.

I feel like people are rejecting the idea out of principle rather than logic. Overpaying Rudy and being a good team is somehow worse than not overpaying and being a bad team until Mitchell leaves.
I went through this with people when we matched on Hayward... the site almost melted with folks saying you can’t give him the max... it’s the maxxxxx! He’s not a max player... etc. By the end everyone wished we had one more year... everyone threw out the AK deal then too... so yeah people flip out on the label.

I’m in one of my drum-beating phases, but RHJ/Shaq allows you to toggle back to pre-2019-2020 defensive teams (better?) when necessary, and then run back to (presumably) a much better offensive team this year than any other in recent history, or any mixture of the two.

I want to wake up Monday to news that’s we’ve made a waiver claim.
They waived Yogi so there is a spot open.

People are approaching this issue almost like a reverse sunk-cost fallacy. We’re trying to look at a totality of cost rather than a relative cost. Rudy is off the books. Now what? Let’s say Rudy gets $7M a year more than he should. We’re over the cap regardless. Let’s say that costs you using that money on a MLE guy. Would you rather have the MLE guy than Rudy? Now, I get that some people suggest that we break a $20 into change, and we end up with a larger proportion of “decent pieces” that aren’t all-stars. Take a look at what that is currently, though. Could you grab pieces better in caliber and quality than a Bojan or JC? We’re currently playing JC, Conley, and Bojan who, while all great, aren’t as well rounded, and so you’re Allocating more and more minutes to incomplete players being on the floor. You have to consolidate where you can because you can add more of those guys as accessory pieces. I get Rudy isn’t well rounded like people would want. But he’s doing something at such an elite level that it’s a guy you’d want out there for 48 minutes, of it we’re possible.

We’re over the cap no matter how you slice it. Nothing you’re moving Rudy out for is going to be better. You’ll just clog up the roster with space-occupying players who are good enough to justify having them in the rotation and sucking up minutes, but not dynamic enough to push you farther.

The answer isn’t to supermax Rudy. You should be able to get him for less. But when it comes down to it, you do what you have to do. It’s like buying a really fancy car, and being okay with the price, but then losing it when you’re having to pay for upkeep and keeping it running smoothly, and thinking that because you just unloaded a bunch of money on the car, that you can’t afford to keep it pristine.

I went through this with people when we matched on Hayward... the site almost melted with folks saying you can’t give him the max... it’s the maxxxxx! He’s not a max player... etc. By the end everyone wished we had one more year... everyone threw out the AK deal then too... so yeah people flip out on the label.

The extension talks the summer before that drove me crazy. Hayward was not asking for the max. Rumors said that the Jazz were at 4/52...the max was at 4/63. We lost Hayward for a maximum 2-3M a year heading into a well publicized cap boom. Aghhh....that was so awful.

All the discussion on whether or not Hayward was a “max” player or if he was worth the high salary...it was all worthless because it was obvious that the best move was to pay him anyways. Gives me PTSD lol.

The extension talks the summer before that drove me crazy. Hayward was not asking for the max. Rumors said that the Jazz were at 4/52...the max was at 4/63. We lost Hayward for a maximum 2-3M a year heading into a well publicized cap boom. Aghhh....that was so awful.

All the discussion on whether or not Hayward was a “max” player or if he was worth the high salary...it was all worthless because it was obvious that the best move was to pay him anyways. Gives me PTSD lol.
I don't know if comparing Rudy's situation to AK and Hayward really supports your point.

AK was an awful deal by the end of it and he was still less than 30. There were always whispers that Hayward was looking elsewhere and might bolt to Boston when he got a chance.

There have been plenty of whispers about Rudy annoying teammates. Hell, just this year there was a massive rift between our two stars. It wouldn't seem to take much for the chemistry to go off the rails again. And if it does, we might be stuck with a 29 year old limited center on a 5 year $200 million deal. No team is taking that contract without us adding sweeteners.

If you care about winning Rudy, take a max deal and be a team legend.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Pay attention because this part is important: he simply does not have the talent or the body to do whatever it is you’re asking. What are you asking him to do, specifically, with regard to skills? You want him shooting jumpers? That’s stupid. You want him to play ogre ball? That **** has been dying for more than a decade for a reason, and unless you know of a way to change the fundamental composition of his musculoskeletal system, he is just not a dude that moves people around due to his very high center of gravity.

He simply does what he can, which is a ****ing lot. And this idea that he is incapable of catching a pass is straight garbage.

I say this knowing I’m the dude that needs to hear this the most: get a grip.

I'm asking him to catch a pass and make a shot outside of 2 feet. Develop his own signature go-to move like a Kareem sky hook. He would be deadly but he refuses to do anything on the offensive side other than 3 things: set screens, dunk, and not catch passes ( and then cries cause he doesn't get the ball).

Jebus really... I love Don but if you think he gives 110% you haven’t watched his defense. I’m sorry he isn’t getting enough stats for you.
It’s a sliding scale! That’s 110 compared to Rudy that decides to take the night off if he isn’t getting enough dishes. Donny shows up every single night which is more than I can say for Rudy.