What's new

Are the Jazz going to trade Rudy?

Don is the reason you keep Rudy. You want to win while he's still here right? Without Rudy, we might not even make the playoffs. The only situation in which moving on from Rudy from Donovan is if it's a chemistry thing where he absolutely won't play with him. Unless there's an ultimatum from Don that Rudy must go, why else is moving on from Rudy a move towards Don?

If you want to build around a young star, the last thing you want to do is trade away an All NBA player for peanuts or lose him for nothing. There is nothing logical about that.
I agree with all of that. I'm not saying dump Rudy for peanuts. I'm saying don't overpay him if Don and Rudy aren't 100% joined. Giving Rudy the next 6 years at an astronomical number is extremely risky.

Much like the dire fear so many had of losing Hayward. Our team was doomed supposedly.

I think we can build a title contender around Don.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Wait you compared Don to Wilt and said he's on a legendary path and sees the floor like few others... but we are the ones worshipping the ground a player walks on?

Don is great... love him. All of the numbers from this era are inflated... its not ********... its a fact. I mean Trae Young went 30 and 10 last year and he's two years younger than Don... is he on a legendary path as well? Not saying Don is empty calories but a little chill is required... I'd say the same thing if you compared Rudy to Bill Russell.
Don't be a dumbass. I didn't compare Don to Wilt. I said they shared an accomplishment nobody shared in the 50+ years between.

It's not all about numbers. Its about leadership. Don has it like few others. While Rudy is pouting and throwing temper tantrums, Don is carrying us. Like the 3rd quarter of Game 7 when we were on the ropes.

I agree with all of that. I'm not saying dump Rudy for peanuts. I'm saying don't overpay him if Don and Rudy aren't 100% joined. Giving Rudy the next 6 years at an astronomical number is extremely risky.

Much like the dire fear so many had of losing Hayward. Our team was doomed supposedly.

I think we can build a title contender around Don.

So we just need to wait an let him walk... then make another late first round pick that becomes a legend... how about this... we make that pick and add it to Rudy and Don. Deal?

Even if we got 4 quarters for that dollar you still are worse the next two to three years... then you better hope one of the picks you got is a homerun otherwise Don is basically a year away from unrestricted FA.
Just like with Hayward - how do we know we will struggle so much without Rudy if we change how we are organized? Why is it such a certainty that we suck without Rudy?

Don't be a dumbass. I didn't compare Don to Wilt. I said they shared an accomplishment nobody shared in the 50+ years between.

It's not all about numbers. Its about leadership. Don has it like few others. While Rudy is pouting and throwing temper tantrums, Don is carrying us. Like the 3rd quarter of Game 7 when we were on the ropes.

Okay they share an accomplishment... many players do. He's great but if his leadership is so great what happened in the 4th quarter... why did he get out leadershipped by Jamal Murray? Is he a legend too?

I love the kid... he's awesome.. he could be amazing. We may want to chill when comparing his numbers to all time greats and projecting it out. I mean Devin Booker had a lower usage and higher scoring and assist numbers... he was also more efficient. There is a chance that building around Don without Rudy could look a lot like Phoenix.

They are both all star level players and pumping one up doesn't have to come at the expense of the other. If we need to save a few million dollars to pay Rudy more I suggest we do it by cutting costs elsewhere.

Just like with Hayward - how do we know we will struggle so much without Rudy if we change how we are organized? Why is it such a certainty that we suck without Rudy?

Partly because Rudy is better than Hayward was... partly because we got ****ing lucky and getting ****ing lucky is not a strategy to bank on.

Okay they share an accomplishment... many players do. He's great but if his leadership is so great what happened in the 4th quarter... why did he get out leadershipped by Jamal Murray? Is he a legend too?

I love the kid... he's awesome.. he could be amazing. We may want to chill when comparing his numbers to all time greats and projecting it out. I mean Devin Booker had a lower usage and higher scoring and assist numbers... he was also more efficient. There is a chance that building around Don without Rudy could look a lot like Phoenix.

They are both all star level players and pumping one up doesn't have to come at the expense of the other. If we need to save a few million dollars to pay Rudy more I suggest we do it by cutting costs elsewhere.
Now you're just being an idiot. You're better than this. You want to win the argument so badly you'll say anything.

Don led us to a series win as a rookie. Fact.

Murray's team outplayed ours. Supporting cast was better. Murray's job was easy because we lacked the depth due to the stupid Conley deal. Jokic outplayed Rudy all over.

If you didn't see something special out of Don vs Denver, he should leave. He was a superstar. Murray had superstar moments. Rudy was a bystander for greatness. He was on Don's coattails.

Before Rudy, our “rebuild” was built on the core of Hayward, Burks, Favors, and Kanter. Rudy forced a new rebuild by literally pushing Kanter out of the way and changing our entire identity to defense first. Hayward never had the impact on our success that Rudy has and we’d still be constantly rebuilding if we hadn’t pivoted for Rudy.

Even though we recovered with Donovan, losing Hayward was devastating because we ruined our chance to have all 3. Two all stars locked in with another on his rookie deal is as good as it gets for us.

If Rudy leaves and we manage to get another star, same thing. We squandered the opportunity to have them all together.

It would suck to overpay Rudy, but without him you’re relying on a low chance move to break even. If you hit on that move, that’s when you really want the all nba guy you let go.

Even though we recovered with Donovan, losing Hayward was devastating because we ruined our chance to have all 3. Two all stars locked in with another on his rookie deal is as good as it gets for us.

If Rudy leaves and we manage to get another star, same thing. We squandered the opportunity to have them all together.

It would suck to overpay Rudy, but without him you’re relying on a low chance move to break even. If you hit on that move, that’s when you really want the all nba guy you let go.
You can blame Hayward. That sucked. Bojan was a decent recovery, though. You can blame pushing all-in with Conley. That’s the most glaring part of the saga at this point, for me. He was supposed to elevate us a to the top tier.... I mean, they KNEW it would take us out of the running for acquiring major talent via trade for the remainder of Don’s rookie deal.... It really strapped us and has left us short of the upper tier. They’re running out of time to recover.

I have never said that. You know this but keep staying idiotic stuff.

Set the wine cooler down and read:

I want Rudy back at a fair number but we cannot overpay or lose him for nothing. I have been saying that since last year.

Oh my bad... you’d like to get a Mercedes but pay for a Honda.

Don’t call me an idiot man. You can disagree but I never said DM wasn’t great. It isn’t idiotic to say paying for a guy is worse than letting him walk. Even if the difference is 7-8M a year it isn’t idiotic... if he gets hurt it’s a bad deal either way... 30, 35, 40m a year... it all sucks if he gets hurt or falls off a cliff. He walks for nothing I’m just gonna bet we don’t end up pulling the best player out of the draft in the same offseason and the retool is seamless.

The only player in the league deserving of a "Supermax" in my opinion is Giannis. There are probably only 15-25 other players in the league even deserving of max or near-max contract money. Of all of those deserving players (not including Donovan since he's signed longterm), we literally only have the chance to sign ONE of them. Of all the players that anyone would pay more for than maxing out Gobert, does anyone actually think we'd even have a shot at a meeting with them?

I'd gladly pay Kawhi, AD, or Lebron more than what they're making if they'd sign with Utah. But, since we will never see a Jazz super-team with Donovan or any of those guys, we should probably put everything we have into making this team great. Sign Rudy and find any opportunity to improve the team wherever possible so we can truly contend. Outside of the Lakers, no other team has proven anything and anyone could dethrone LA this season or next. Might as well see this team to the end and continue building everything around Donovan and Rudy. The alternative is getting worse and becoming regulars at the draft lottery again or at best fighting for 8th seed.

Now you're just being an idiot. You're better than this. You want to win the argument so badly you'll say anything.

Don led us to a series win as a rookie. Fact.

Murray's team outplayed ours. Supporting cast was better. Murray's job was easy because we lacked the depth due to the stupid Conley deal. Jokic outplayed Rudy all over.

If you didn't see something special out of Don vs Denver, he should leave. He was a superstar. Murray had superstar moments. Rudy was a bystander for greatness. He was on Don's coattails.

So concerned about kissing the *** of a guy who won’t be in a Jazz uniform 3 years from now. I was/kinda am against a Rudy super max, but I don’t see why not at this point tbh. Donovan’s last game in a Jazz uniform is potentially around 28-29 months from now. I don’t think some of you realize just how shortened the timeline has become due to that player option on Donovan’s contract. There is no time to change course at this point. Donovan will potentially be supermax eligible 30 months from now in the summer of 2024 (we are a few weeks away from 2021). When he doesn’t sign that extension the Jazz will trade him. You have 3 seasons, this one included in that, to win. Pay Rudy what he wants and go for it, cause your other guys timeline is the summer of 2024. You can’t recover by then. Any chance you had of recalibrating and rebooting was lost the day you gave Donovan a player option in his contract. And yes a year means that much. It meant that much with Hayward, and it means that much with Rudy right now who also signed a 4 year deal. That extra year, that the Jazz continually just give away is extremely important every damn time.

The only player in the league deserving of a "Supermax" in my opinion is Giannis. There are probably only 15-25 other players in the league even deserving of max or near-max contract money. Of all of those deserving players (not including Donovan since he's signed longterm), we literally only have the chance to sign ONE of them. Of all the players that anyone would pay more for than maxing out Gobert, does anyone actually think we'd even have a shot at a meeting with them?

I'd gladly pay Kawhi, AD, or Lebron more than what they're making if they'd sign with Utah. But, since we will never see a Jazz super-team with Donovan or any of those guys, we should probably put everything we have into making this team great. Sign Rudy and find any opportunity to improve the team wherever possible so we can truly contend. Outside of the Lakers, no other team has proven anything and anyone could dethrone LA this season or next. Might as well see this team to the end and continue building everything around Donovan and Rudy. The alternative is getting worse and becoming regulars at the draft lottery again or at best fighting for 8th seed.
Most players getting the supermax are worth more than that. Giannis is worth far more than the supermax. If you removed the max he could make and put him on the open market he could get more.

Gobert is worth a lot to the Jazz. You can't replace him. It's very unlikely to trade him for another All-NBA player. You're much better paying extra. It's not like we can use the salary difference to sign another player. It costs luxury tax and/or lower level players that aren't likely the difference between winning and not.

Oh my bad... you’d like to get a Mercedes but pay for a Honda.

Don’t call me an idiot man. You can disagree but I never said DM wasn’t great. It isn’t idiotic to say paying for a guy is worse than letting him walk. Even if the difference is 7-8M a year it isn’t idiotic... if he gets hurt it’s a bad deal either way... 30, 35, 40m a year... it all sucks if he gets hurt or falls off a cliff. He walks for nothing I’m just gonna bet we don’t end up pulling the best player out of the draft in the same offseason and the retool is seamless.
I shouldn't have called you an idiot. I apologize.

I do get very tired of seeing Donovan's impact being discounted in this forum. The kid is special - the best young player we have ever had. Of all the players scoring 24+ppg last year, he got the worst whistle by a mile. His free throw attempts were laughable despite how much he attacks the rim on a nightly basis.

I want Rudy to stay, but overpaying him gives us a 2 maybe 3 year window to think about contending. Unfortunately, the Conley deal was so atrocious that it took away that chance to fully attack titles regardless of what we pay Rudy and Don. A major Rudy deal will have the same effect as Conley for the last few years of a 5 year deal.

Overpaying him because we are afraid of life without him is unwise. Trading him for lesser parts isn't ideal, but I think the Favors signing keeps us in the same conversations we were in before if we make the playoffs.

This is a tough spot. I really wish Rudy wasn't expecting so much money because by the end of a major deal many might hate him for it.