What's new

Are the Jazz gping to have another breakout star? If so who?

Break out star? 2 choices

• Kelly Olynyk - 6th man of the year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taylor Hendricks- makes collins expendable pushes for ROY

• Brice Sensabaugh - becomes an efficient scoring machine and is in contention for 6th man and or ROY

• Omer Yurtseven - becomes a stretch big and lives upto his potential

• Johnny Juzang - 40%+ 3 pt shooter that needs playing time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for your mom!

But if she doesn't have a Moriah Mills breakout season, then I am going to go with the Italian Sex Machine - Fontecchio springboarding after a solid INTL performance.

Some of these are really well defined, but unrealistic and some are really vague. Like what does it mean for Dunn to solidify the starting unit?

I voted for Keyonte even though I highly doubt he wins ROY. I think he has a chance to take over the starting PG position at some point this season which would be a breakout season if he does. I also think him being good enough to start at some point would be an amazing boost to this rebuild, so I'm really hoping it happens.

I also voted for Lauri since he was so close last year and if we make the playoffs and he just puts up the same numbers he should get in.

OK, I changed my vote based on the question being "who will break out this year?" and not who will be a breakout star. I think that's more what the OP was getting at (and I would recommend changing the title).

I changed my vote from Lauri, who has already broken out, to Sexton. I'm hedging my bets a little as I don't think both Sexton and Keyonte can break out in the same year, but the Jazz could really use one of THT, Sexton, or Keyonte to establish themselves as a lead guard moving forward. If were' still having the discussion around who will be our PG to start the season next year, I think that's a problem.

OK, I changed my vote based on the question being "who will break out this year?" and not who will be a breakout star. I think that's more what the OP was getting at (and I would recommend changing the title).

I changed my vote from Lauri, who has already broken out, to Sexton. I'm hedging my bets a little as I don't think both Sexton and Keyonte can break out in the same year, but the Jazz could really use one of THT, Sexton, or Keyonte to establish themselves as a lead guard moving forward. If were' still having the discussion around who will be our PG to start the season next year, I think that's a problem.
The last part is one of the important questions that needs answering during the year. At very least I’d like to know if the answer is on the roster. If everyone kinda disappoints it at least gives you some cause to go find that player. If they haven’t been able to find the right answer yet that’s okay but commit to a route… either internal development or bring in an established vet.

The last part is one of the important questions that needs answering during the year. At very least I’d like to know if the answer is on the roster. If everyone kinda disappoints it at least gives you some cause to go find that player. If they haven’t been able to find the right answer yet that’s okay but commit to a route… either internal development or bring in an established vet.

If we are forced to look externally who is even realistic? I've seen Quickley mentioned here. Anybody else that anyone can think of who will be hitting free agency or made available by next season?

If we are forced to look externally who is even realistic? I've seen Quickley mentioned here. Anybody else that anyone can think of who will be hitting free agency or made available by next season?
Its why I was kinda in on FVV this summer. There isn't a ton out there that I love. I still think he might end up being available in trade at some point this season if we want to go that route. I think it almost has to be Keyonte or another young guy who grows quickly into the role... at least long term. But if we can at least get to the point where we know a few players aren't it... and see how long we think it takes to get Keyonte there... then we can find a vet for a transition period.

I don't have a ton of names... don't have a lot of time to think it through... the vets that came immediately to mind were FVV and Holiday. Quickley is a good name (think of him as a 3 and D pg).

I made one list a month ago where I analyzed this. Imo its still valid. Had some discussions about players not on the list including some long shots.

Thread 'Who is the backcourt star we could theoretically get to complete the roster?' https://jazzfanz.com/threads/who-is...oretically-get-to-complete-the-roster.196064/

Keyonte George. He will have similar play to Donovan Mitchell I believe he will struggle with his jumpshot for the first few years, but will be effective part of our offense.

Keyonte George. He will have similar play to Donovan Mitchell I believe he will struggle with his jumpshot for the first few years, but will be effective part of our offense.
HE has no reason to play like Donovan. The Jazz had no one else to score when Donovan came in (especially after Hood went down)

THe Jazz got Sexton/Lauri/Collins/Clarkson. That's four dudes who have averaged over 20 ppg at some point in their career and they are all are in or near their primes.

It's just not possible for Keyonte to have that level of impact and to put that level of expectation on him is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think the Kessler and Sexton options are most likely to happen, but the guy who might have the best chance at being a "break out" is John Collins IMO. If he has 10 working fingers I can easily see him returning to previous since form, but with his improved defense he's developed since then. A 20/10 guy who is hyper efficient and a solid defender is a really nice player. His defensive rebounding will be key as well since it was one of our biggest weaknesses last season. Decent chance he's seen as the second best player on the team by the end of the season.

Don't play dumb. You know exactly what I'm talking about.
I have no idea what the **** you are saying. WTH are you even insinuating? I think people need to pump the breaks on Keyonte, George. He’s not the most explosive or athletic. He’s skilled and let’s see how well he shoots it. People on here are actually expecting him to have a Mitchell like impact in year one. I just hope that when he inevitably falls short of this very high ceiling fans don’t turn on him

Also, if we are being realistic, Clarkson is probably the most likely to "breakout".

2nd year being a full time starter, is the most veteran player in the backcourt. If he just shoots it from 3 a bit better, he's going to average 22-5-5. If the Jazz win a lot early, he might get All-Star consideration.

THT/Sexton/Dunn/Keyonte will all be fighting for minutes/touches/shots whereas Clarkson's are probably more guaranteed.