What's new

Are the wheels coming off?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
So for the last, oh 5 or 6 games, 4 maybe? We have played out of sync and looking a LOT more like we did in December than what we did in February. It begs the question, was the big 22 of the last 26 run just a case of a "the stars are aligned" for us, or are we really that good and now just in a little slump? Did we get lucky or are we the real thing? And if we are the real thing, are the wheels starting to come off?

I hope we are the real thing. Donovan has won over all but the most jaded fans (and trolls), our starting 5, to a man, are BBall geniuses with a true passion for winning.

But lately we cannot hit a shot to save our lives, Mitchell is something like 23% on 3s for the last 5 or 6 games, Gobert seems out of sync lately, the game against San Antonio being a good example. The bench production has been alarmingly low.

So which Utah Jazz are we really? What do you think?

I dont think so. We are what we are. right in the middle of the playoffs teams.

Based on our talent we have been over achieving, largely due to good coaching and players buying in. Unfortunately that only works when everybody plays in sync and with the game plan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think Rudy is not 100%. Also we have overachieved for a bit. I think we're a 3-5 seed. Closer to 3 with thabo imo.

The guys have been playing all out for a while. I imagine they are fatigued physically as well as mentally.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

Good takes everyone, thanks for the comments. We obviously just have to wait and see but if we can regain some of our form we should end strong and end up in the 4-7 range I would bet. But if we even have a little slide we could be out. Fun and gut-wrenching at the same time right now.

When the Jazz were rolling they were knocking down shots. Now we aren't doing that.

Exactly. It looks like our offense just isn't as smooth. We are not adjusting to the defense the way we did before, and our defensive rotations and intensity just hasn't been there. We need to get those back.

IMO it starts with defense. When you have 2 players basically hang career nights on you within 2 of 3 games there is something wrong with your defensive schemes. Snyder needs to get them all on the same page again on D. I think that better D will drive better O, at least for the Jazz that seems to be the case. When we are disruptive on D and getting stops it seems to get everyone into a good rhythm.

Oh and I hope Mitchell gets his 3 pt shot back. That would help a lot. There is obviously a hitch in his form. Most good shooters, when they are slumping, tend to miss long or short. Mitchell lately has been missing off to the side and really clanging them off the rim. That indicates an issue with form. Is he nursing a minor injury we are not aware of? That can cause these issues too. Hopefully whatever it is he gets past it. I think he has what it takes to not only be a great scorer, but a great shooter too. I cannot wait to see what he will be in 3 years. The next Curry or Westbrook maybe? Lillard with better D?

I just wonder if some smart assistant coach was looking at film and saw something when we were rolling. Perhaps one team made an adjustment and we did not counter effectively.

I just wonder if some smart assistant coach was looking at film and saw something when we were rolling. Perhaps one team made an adjustment and we did not counter effectively.
No. The Jazz are in the playoff hunt and are 12-2 in the month of March. They’re getting team’s A games and it’s going to be tight through the rest of the regular season. They’re growing a TON right now and have some major bench issues at the moment.

They’ve lost two games by 5 and 4 points (in OT) and we’re in a position to win either game late in the contest, but missed their shots. Can’t ask for much more than that.

Exactly. It looks like our offense just isn't as smooth. We are not adjusting to the defense the way we did before, and our defensive rotations and intensity just hasn't been there. We need to get those back.

IMO it starts with defense. When you have 2 players basically hang career nights on you within 2 of 3 games there is something wrong with your defensive schemes. Snyder needs to get them all on the same page again on D. I think that better D will drive better O, at least for the Jazz that seems to be the case. When we are disruptive on D and getting stops it seems to get everyone into a good rhythm.

Oh and I hope Mitchell gets his 3 pt shot back. That would help a lot. There is obviously a hitch in his form. Most good shooters, when they are slumping, tend to miss long or short. Mitchell lately has been missing off to the side and really clanging them off the rim. That indicates an issue with form. Is he nursing a minor injury we are not aware of? That can cause these issues too. Hopefully whatever it is he gets past it. I think he has what it takes to not only be a great scorer, but a great shooter too. I cannot wait to see what he will be in 3 years. The next Curry or Westbrook maybe? Lillard with better D?

Teams have figured out how to pick apart our defense with their guards. It also doesn't help when Shroeder, Barrea and Barnes can't miss a shot. Some plays just aren't guardable; you can only pressure a quick shot. Those 3 hit everything. LMA's unreal shooting last night too.

Personally I think Mitchell has hit the rookie wall and he is trying to play through it but his shot is off because his legs are tired.
I agree with this. I’m hoping that the Jazz win the next three games while the Nuggets lose their next three. A buffer could give him fewer minutes through the stretch run to get his legs back by the playoffs.

Personally I think Mitchell has hit the rookie wall and he is trying to play through it but his shot is off because his legs are tired.

Probably some truth to this. He didn't hit the wall where most rookies do, so it was bound to catch up with him at some point. If that is all his wall is, is a shakey 3 pt shot, well that is fine by me.

Jazz are fine. The way they fought back after a horrible start against the Spurs shows me this team isn't laying down and is fighting for every inch of being included in the playoffs.

Jazz were never as bad as the first half of the season indicated; it was mainly strength of schedule. Yes, Rudy was out, but Jazz would have still likely been sub .500. And the Jazz were never as good as their recent run. Again SOS. Yes, they had quality wins, but the SOS was very easy. They stubbed their toes against Atlanta and struggled to win against several other crappy teams.

And the defense? Definitely not #1. Judge defenses on the ability to adjust. To limit opposing players, shut down the 3PT line, make shots difficult in the last few minutes of games. Jazz haven't been able to do that of late. And why the hell aren't Rudy and Derrick absolutely dominating the boards? SA just took it to them.

And yes, Mitchell has hit a wall. He's turned into a chucker to keep up his scoring average. Not a good sign if he can't recognize the long 3's, which have virtually no shot of going in, are hurting the team. Jazz are a mid to lower tier playoff team, which is right where they're at. Lindsey has brought in some "D and no 3" players. A lot of that - I hope - was due to Hayward's late decision. But we'll see; until proven otherwise, DL has been historically cheap. He could have added some better shooting at the deadline, but refused to take on salaries. Does he have a plan for the off-season, or is it just him pinching pennies again?