What's new

Are we actually good or is it the schedule?

We went 3-5 against the top 4, so I don't think they are that far above us as a group.
2 vs dysfunctional Boston, and 1 vs Milwaukee? Meh. A losing record doesn't really help change my stance.

And we were 0-4 vs the Thunder this year and I think we are basically as good as them, so that's not all it's about.

It also doesn't matter because how we match up vs the top of the East in the playoffs this year is completely irrelevant.

What? Len have a career 6.1 pts. against us on .361% FG and a whoppin' .426% TS. He is universally known as Rudy's booty call. Only headache he causes is to his coach.

He literally hits guys in the face and head which is known to cause headaches.

Yeah, its close to what I think as well. I would say we are better than OKC but that is the only one. We will end with a better record and both our teams are pretty much the same and we beat them in the playoffs last year pretty solidly. They did beat us in the regular season but they were way more motivated for those games.
Rubbish. They swept us, and I think 3 of those games weren't particularly close.

Weird to see dudes around here selling OKC short. Sure, they are currently in 8th, and the schedule has stiffened on them, but Russ lost a game to suspension and PG hasn't been at full health.

In just 10 minutes of game time I can see multiple ways they are better than last year's OKC team.

They lack the firepower and flexibility on the court to be a real dark horse and that’s okay for right now.

Right now, our "flexibility" and "firepower" are both peaking at the right time and at the same time! It's true, we still screwball around some possessions, but they are becoming few and far between! We stay focus and serious.....we will be going places in this years playoffs!

Weird to see dudes around here selling OKC short. Sure, they are currently in 8th, and the schedule has stiffened on them, but Russ lost a game to suspension and PG hasn't been at full health.

In just 10 minutes of game time I can see multiple ways they are better than last year's OKC team.

Well, I think the playoffs matter more. But they beat us the first time in the middle of our brutal December Schedule on a back end of a back to back 122-113. Then they got us again in December on the back end of a back to back 107-106. They beat us in the 3rd game in Double OT. The last game we sucked and lost 98-89.

So the last one is legit loss. But losing in double OT is luck at that point. The first 2 were back to back during the hardest stretch of any team of any month in the NBA and we still kept it close.

They will probably end up with a worse record than last year. While the Jazz will end up with a better one than last year.

So we are a better team and they are worse by that standard. We beat them in 6 last year. They will still be a hard team to beat due to Paul George. But Westbrook is getting worse and I like our matchup with him.

They will probably end up with a worse record than last year. While the Jazz will end up with a better one than last year.

So we are a better team and they are worse by that standard. We beat them in 6 last year. They will still be a hard team to beat due to Paul George. But Westbrook is getting worse and I like our matchup with him.
What about net rating for us this year vs last year and for OKC this year vs last year?

I kinda like net rating better than win loss record for determining how good a team is.

(I honestly want to know but don't know how to look it up)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Well, I think the playoffs matter more. But they beat us the first time in the middle of our brutal December Schedule on a back end of a back to back 122-113. Then they got us again in December on the back end of a back to back 107-106. They beat us in the 3rd game in Double OT. The last game we sucked and lost 98-89.

So the last one is legit loss. But losing in double OT is luck at that point. The first 2 were back to back during the hardest stretch of any team of any month in the NBA and we still kept it close.
In four games, there have been plenty of opportunities to see how the Jazz and OKC would fair in a game or a series, all things being equal. I saw OKC get the better of almost every volley of punches. There's no way anybody around here should be slighting them.... unless their homer goggles are surgically implanted.

The Thunder have lost 10 of there last 14 games! I use to like watching the Thunder as well as Westbrook.....but recently they have played like diddly squat and have become unwatchable! I don't think they'd win one game against us right now in a 7 game series!

I expected during the preseason...

- 54 wins
- A top 4 seed and homecourt in the first round
- Likely second round appearance
- Competitive enough to possibly make a WCF appearance.

We are...

- A 48-ish win team
- Very possibly a 5-8 seed
- More likely a first round exit than not. We need a certain few matchups to succeed in the first round

I expected during the preseason...

- 54 wins
- A top 4 seed and homecourt in the first round
- Likely second round appearance
- Competitive enough to possibly make a WCF appearance.

We are...

- A 48-ish win team
- Very possibly a 5-8 seed
- More likely a first round exit than not. We need a certain few matchups to succeed in the first round
ImpossibleMistyGiantschnauzer-small.gif

The Jazz are what they've been for the last 20 years - a probable playoff team with a ceiling that likely keeps them below home court most every season. It'll generally be good for some first round series wins but they're just not at the level of good to really ever make the conference finals. It'll likely always be this way because, on the whole, Utah is content with just being okay, and never really great.

I mean, you see it in this thread. How can anyone expect more from such a small market team? Jazz fans will always be happy with a playoff berth and a ceiling of being absolutely demolished in the second round when they actually advance out of the first.

Since 1999, the Jazz is just 10-24 in second round games...and over half those wins came over a decade ago. I doubt that changes.

The PERFECT missed free throw attempt that would have tied this game! I thought the Jazz executed the perfect intentionally missed free throw attempt, grabbed the miss and had a great look in the corner for the tying 3 pointer last night! As well executed as you could possible get! Korvers high arching shot bounced high off the rim, was grabbed by Donavan and he barely missed that 3 pointer which would have kept our winning streak alive!

I just love this team... I don't have much in the way of expectations. We are good and I think we have a high ceiling because of how many threes we produce and we have a volume scorer. We can beat elite teams in a game or two when we get hot... if we get on a streak who knows.

If DM keeps developing and we get a couple pieces that are good (don't need something amazing)... maybe hit on a pick or two... we are legit contenders. If not we will be very good for a period of a few years... Will be entertaining as hell and have tremendous dudes to root for... I'd love to see us win a title, but I'm not going to be miserable if we are a perennial 2nd round team with potential to get lucky. It takes luck to win a championship... it just does.
Good post. I would add it takes luck AND taking risks. We have control over the second part of that. And frankly, we just don't. I hope that changes soon.

Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. Ralph Waldo Emerson

In four games, there have been plenty of opportunities to see how the Jazz and OKC would fair in a game or a series, all things being equal. I saw OKC get the better of almost every volley of punches. There's no way anybody around here should be slighting them.... unless their homer goggles are surgically implanted.
Homer cyborg

OKC immediately improved by just dumping Melo.

Their young players (like Noah and Schroeder) are developing into very good role players.

I don’t understand how anyone could claim that they aren’t significantly better than last year regardless of what their record ends up being.

OKC immediately improved by just dumping Melo.

Their young players (like Noah and Schroeder) are developing into very good role players.

I don’t understand how anyone could claim that they aren’t significantly better than last year regardless of what their record ends up being.

So they improved but other teams in the West improved more? Is that the justification for having a worse record and a worse seed in the playoffs? Or just that they are not trying as hard this year? Almost every stat shows they are not better. They have a worse record, worse net rating, there net rating rank, and a lower ranking in the standings. I am having a hard time finding anything that says they are better that is measurable besides people just saying they are. People thought they were early in the year due to an easy schedule but now that its hard they have dropped below last year by every measurable stat.

I think they are worse because Westbrook regressed by a decent amount but his usage has gone up. But I guess I could see an argument that they improved but other teams including the Jazz improved more.