What's new

Are We Back?

The books are great. If anything, the second one “The Dark Forest” is even better than the first. In it one learns the principles of “cosmic sociology.”
I'm going to put this book series on my list. Sucks though cause my list is already pretty long and it takes months for me to read a book. Especially the behemoth I'm reading right. I'm currently reading Fire and Blood and it's a beast.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I'm going to put this book series on my list. Sucks though cause my list is already pretty long and it takes months for me to read a book. Especially the behemoth I'm reading right. I'm currently reading Fire and Blood and it's a beast.

That's good to hear, fishionjazz. I enjoyed Three Body Problem because the creativity demonstrated by the author was immense. A good story too.

That's good to hear, fishionjazz. I enjoyed Three Body Problem because the creativity demonstrated by the author was immense. A good story too.
I enjoyed it a lot too, top notch science fiction. Though I do prefer Iain M. Banks' Culture books even more, Three Body Problem was really way up there with the best.

I enjoyed it a lot too, top notch science fiction. Though I do prefer Iain M. Banks' Culture books even more, Three Body Problem was really way up there with the best.
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll look for them on Amazon.

Reactions: hgb
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll look for them on Amazon.
He writes as Iain Banks for non-scifi and adds the "M." (which doesn't stand for anything) for scifi. I actually think all his books are great, one of the all-time greats in my opinion. They can really be read in any order, at least most of them.

Edit: Wrote, he tragically passed away from cancer some years back.

My favorite sci Fi book of all time is called Recurrence by Blake Crouch

Audiobooks have changed my life. Listen while doing the shopping, during my commute, waiting at the Dentist office, while at work (depending on job), while cooking dinner, doing chores, etc.. So many books I wouldn't have read, and I love to read, I have listened to as audiobooks.

Very, very different kinds of books. The Culture is a wonderful series, and the utopian society depicted in it I find the most appealing in science fiction. My favorite book in the series is, unconventionally, Excession. It is all about the Minds, and their humbling encounter with the entity from the older universe.

The Three Body Problem is more... serious. It's actually made significant cultural impact on science fiction readership as a whole. A couple of years back, some engineer at work went off about the dangers of SETI trying to contact aliens during one of the company's weekly meetings. I asked him after if he had read the series, and indeed he had lol.

As a series, I think the Three Body Problem is better, and packs more of a punch. As a fictional universe, the Culture is unsurpassed. I can get lost thinking about it for hours. But the stories themselves are mid. The Player of Games is probably the most interesting in terms of story, but it is still unexceptional imo.

Audiobooks have changed my life. Listen while doing the shopping, during my commute, waiting at the Dentist office, while at work (depending on job), while cooking dinner, doing chores, etc.. So many books I wouldn't have read, and I love to read, I have listened to as audiobooks.
They are amazing. This thread is great because I have been looking for some new books and I like sci fi. The Meg series also sucked me in pretty quick and I went through all 5 books in about a week while working on a remodel.

old-school-streaking.gif