What's new

Article: Seven teams that could surprise with breakout years

MrMojoRisin

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...urprise-you-with-breakout-seasons-in-2016-17/

Just posting this cause the off season is way too long and I'm way too bored.

Why they'll be better: The Jazz should have been a playoff team last year, but injuries and poor point guard play kept them (barely) out. Now, not only are they likely to be healthier, they are more equipped to handle injuries if they do occur. CBS Sports' NBA writers collectively ranked Utah's starting lineup fifth in the league and ranked its bench first.

This team should be a powerhouse. Most opponents will not have the big men to deal with a frontcourt duo like Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert. Most will not have two top-notch perimeter defenders to match up with Gordon Hayward and Rodney Hood, either. George Hill is the perfect low-maintenance, defense-first, floor-spacing point guard for this group, and Utah's bench depth means that few teams will be as versatile on both ends. Imagine if Dante Exum has a breakout season.

After four years of missing the playoffs and drafting wisely, the front office decided that it is winning time. With Hill, Joe Johnson and Boris Diaw in the fold, inexperience will not be an excuse.

What could go wrong: Honestly? Nothing, really, outside of the normal concerns about health. My biggest qualm with the Jazz under Quin Snyder is that they have a tendency to over-pass, and that's not a big deal.

I also noticed that the Jazz might play in one of the hardest divisions in the NBA (besides the southwest). Could potentially have 4 out of the 5 teams make the playoffs. (OKC, Portland, Utah, Minny)

i think OKC and Minny will only be fighting for the last spot

okc is superior to the Jazz. Russ is better then your top two players combined. Don't sleep on Denver either. Told yall not to sleep on Portland last year and look they are the class of the division now. Not Utah. Utah/Minny/ Denver fighting for that last spot. You added a nice rotation point with Hill and then added two guys who are over the hill in JJ and Diaw. Like Shania Twain that don't impress me much

True I see Timberpups as a dark horse for playoffs they'll either make 8 or just miss- makings of a long rivalry with them here

a rivalry is when usually two teams are evenly matched. look at Minny roster. Look at the coach and then go look at the Jazz and you will see within a couple years the Jazz are not going competition for the Wolves

okc is superior to the Jazz. Russ is better then your top two players combined. Don't sleep on Denver either. Told yall not to sleep on Portland last year and look they are the class of the division now. Not Utah. Utah/Minny/ Denver fighting for that last spot. You added a nice rotation point with Hill and then added two guys who are over the hill in JJ and Diaw. Like Shania Twain that don't impress me much

OKC better than Utah? It's a reasonable idea, but didn't they miss the playoffs 2 years ago without Durant. I suppose Russ' supporting cast is better this time around but is it that much better?

Btw, NColoradoJazz, what do you think of this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughtful take
741cf260d297b8d382e7eabc3de18edb.jpg

Last edited:
OKC better than Utah? It's a reasonable idea, but didn't they miss the playoffs 2 years ago without Durant. I suppose Russ' supporting cast is better this time around but is it that much better?

Jazz just missed playoffs last year what is your point? Don't think it possible Russ as grown as a player in 2 years. My bad I forgot it is only Jazz players that can improve over time and just doesn't happen to other nba players. Must be something in that water in Utah I tell you what!

Btw, NColoradoJazz, what do you think of this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughtful take
741cf260d297b8d382e7eabc3de18edb.jpg

My take
When people start to use the whole the refs are out to get us card, Well that shows a loser to me.
Not the the Jazz players buy into it but the fans do so that makes the Fans losers not the players just to be clear.

Stars win games in the NBA
Jazz have Zero Stars on a team full of good role players
OKC has Russ who is a top 5 player in the game.
Go back and read first sentence.

My take
When people start to use the whole the refs are out to get us card, Well that shows a loser to me.
Not the the Jazz players buy into it but the fans do so that makes the Fans losers not the players just to be clear.

And if anyone knows losers, it's the biggest loser of them all, ncoloradojazz.

No one following the league expects OKC to be better than the Jazz. I'm interested to see how Oladipo fits in there, but losing Ibaka hurts their defense, rebounding and spacing.

Oh, and go ahead and sleep on Denver. They're probably in the 30 - 35 win range this year.

I think Trey Lyles is going to have a game early on where he hits 5 3s, grabs 10 boards and has several assists. Everyone's going to wonder why he isn't playing more. Guess it will depend on his defense.

Russ is an inefficient turnover machine & chucker without KD OKC are going to fall off a cliff this year. Sabonis is average and Oladipo is a dumbass

I also noticed that the Jazz might play in one of the hardest divisions in the NBA (besides the southwest). Could potentially have 4 out of the 5 teams make the playoffs. (OKC, Portland, Utah, Minny)

Fwiw, Sagarin ranked divisions as follows for 2016. Average of all 5 teams.

Southeast
Central
Northwest
Southwest
Pacific
Atlantic

My take

I hear what your saying. I don't think the refs are out to get us. I do however think that we got the short end of the stick last year and I think it's partly because of the way we play.

As far as the Jazz not making the playoffs last year, obviously the blown calls at the end of games didn't help. Again, I don't think the refs are trying to screw the Jazz but I do think we had terrible luck. Additionally, we won 40 games with maybe the worst or 2nd to worst PG play in the league and playing without 1 or 2 of Favors Gobert or Hayward for 40% of the season. Had we been healthy and been a bit luckier, obviously it's easy to See the Jazz making the playoffs last year

And now they have added Hill at PG which will be a fairly formidable upgrade. Not to mention JJ and Diaw will make us deeper. Factor in internal development. I think if healthy, it's fair to project is winning between 46-50 games. Not sure I have confidence that the Thunder will win 50 games but time will tell.

I hear what your saying. I don't think the refs are out to get us. I do however think that we got the short end of the stick last year and I think it's partly because of the way we play.

As far as the Jazz not making the playoffs last year, obviously the blown calls at the end of games didn't help. Again, I don't think the refs are trying to screw the Jazz but I do think we had terrible luck. Additionally, we won 40 games with maybe the worst or 2nd to worst PG play in the league and playing without 1 or 2 of Favors Gobert or Hayward for 40% of the season. Had we been healthy and been a bit luckier, obviously it's easy to See the Jazz making the playoffs last year

And now they have added Hill at PG which will be a fairly formidable upgrade. Not to mention JJ and Diaw will make us deeper. Factor in internal development. I think if healthy, it's fair to project is winning between 46-50 games. Not sure I have confidence that the Thunder will win 50 games but time will tell.

Great, reasonable response. Wasted on douchecoloradojazz