What's new

Atlanta Rudy Trade

Maybe that is what Ainge does... move Conley and Bogey for future facing assets cuz "that's all we could get". Move Rudy in a package that gets mostly picks... then start the unintentional but totally intentional tank... midseason a desperate team makes an offer for Donovan and you take it... or you run out the whole season.

We are a lotto team next year... I'm sure of it.
If we trade Rudy for nothing but picks, then we probably should trade Don.

Then again, I don't think we would trade Rudy for all picks, and even then, the picks would be be bad picks. Kind of pointless.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Maybe that is what Ainge does... move Conley and Bogey for future facing assets cuz "that's all we could get". Move Rudy in a package that gets mostly picks... then start the unintentional but totally intentional tank... midseason a desperate team makes an offer for Donovan and you take it... or you run out the whole season.

I just dont see any scenario where Donovan's trade value improves. It's going to slowly diminish every year he fails to win without Gobert and his contract comes closer to the player option.

I just dont see any scenario where Donovan's trade value improves. It's going to slowly diminish every year he fails to win without Gobert and his contract comes closer to the player option.
Sir.... you are preaching to the choir.

Side note... Our management and ownership are not doing great... heard Spence say the marketing/PR team really wanted exit interviews and they shut it down... sent JZ out there to die alone. WTF is that??? I no they want to keep Donovan in part for business reasons... but guess what hurts the business? That's right taking a **** on the fans and local media.

Side note... Our management and ownership are not doing great... heard Spence say the marketing/PR team really wanted exit interviews and they shut it down... sent JZ out there to die alone. WTF is that??? I no they want to keep Donovan in part for business reasons... but guess what hurts the business? That's right taking a **** on the fans and local media.
Franchise in ****ing shambles

It'd be one thing if they (Smith/Ainge) shut it down and then went out there themselves to address the media. Shutting down the exit interviews AND sending out JZ alone is just pathetic.

The end of this season in particular obviously signaled in some dark times, and really needed a message from management to the fans. Instead we all just got a middle finger.

It'd be one thing if they (Smith/Ainge) shut it down and then went out there themselves to address the media. Shutting down the exit interviews AND sending out JZ alone is just pathetic.

The end of this season in particular obviously signaled in some dark times, and really needed a message from management to the fans. Instead we all just got a middle finger.
Right!!! Why not just say "nah no interviews at all thx". Or here's an idea... you actually come down and do the DTDS (Day to Day ****). They made it out like Ainge said he wouldn't do routine things that is why he agreed to come... well there is day to day media and end of season important media. Just such a cop out and they are both scared.

So we are left to see guys fight rumors on twitter. I mean maybe Ainge and Ryan had a tee time and I'd hate to interrupt that but it sure would have been nice.

Right!!! Why not just say "nah no interviews at all thx". Or here's an idea... you actually come down and do the DTDS (Day to Day ****). They made it out like Ainge said he wouldn't do routine things that is why he agreed to come... well there is day to day media and end of season important media. Just such a cop out and they are both scared.

So we are left to see guys fight rumors on twitter. I mean maybe Ainge and Ryan had a tee time and I'd hate to interrupt that but it sure would have been nice.
Yeah I am not super-impressed with our ownership group any more. I mean after Larry it became shaky for sure, but was at least connected and showed they cared and did the little things for the most part. This seems so bass-ackward as how to handle a franchise, especially one in disarray. But then again, we never saw a franchise this much in disarray before Smith, at all. How much of that is on the ownership group, I do not know, but how they handled the end of season stuff really sent a message to the team that they cannot be bothered to stand up for the team when the team needed it most. Not a great message to send after a season like this, imhfo.

Was excited about Collins last season but not this year. He's on a big contract and has missed 20games this season due to injury. His overall fg% also drops for three years in a row. He'd still be a good PF option if we can keep Rudy. But putting him at the 5 we are just asking for trouble.

Would still try to do a sign and trade for Miles Bridges of we can if we are moving Rudy or Donovan.

I’m of the belief that the Jazz won’t entertain a Donovan trade because they want an All-Star but that afterwards they will.

Trading Donovan now would also not be peak value. Hopefully he hasn’t ****ed up his feet/ankles in any permanent way and last year was generally an aberration. Donovan the player probably held twice as much value last off-season and that might inform their thinking. I also wonder if his medical evaluation might not be great right now also.

Of course, if the NBA gets to see more of the Donovan they saw against Dallas but without Rudy, his value could straight-up tank, too.

Last edited:
I’m of the belief that the Jazz won’t entertain a Donovan trade because they want an All-Star but that afterwards they will.

Trading Donovan now would also not be peak value. Hopefully he hasn’t ****ed up his feet/ankles in any permanent way and last year was generally an aberration. Donovan the player probably held twice as much value last off-season and that might inform their thinking. I also wonder if his medical evaluation might not be great right now also.

Of course, if the NBA gets to see more of the Donovan they saw against Dallas but without Rudy, his value could straight-up tank, too.
I think at best his value doesn't change... at worst his value tanks. The more info that comes out... not just from arena employees... the more I am convinced we are in an unhealthy relationship with Donovan as an organization and that cloud is the biggest issue right now. This isn't some "Donovan is evil" thing. This is some national guys hearing that Donovan's tough to deal with behind closed doors and lining it up with some other things that we have seen publicly. On the Beck/Mannix pod they mentioned they have heard the Quin Donovan relationship has gone south... which makes sense to me. There are reports to the contrary but the lack of Quin signing an extension may in part be how this other stuff lines up.

Its not all Don's fault but I think its time for a divorce here... and you can change all the other parts you want but it won't remove the core issue. Its and unhealthy relationship that we are staying together for the kids (the all-star game and the ticket sales is the kids I guess). I think its best for everyone to move on and just start completely fresh. Take a NY pick package that gets Donovan his huge market and major endorsement deals and we get like 4-5 unprotected picks (grab Toppin and Quickley too and take any salary that isn't Julius Randle). Start fresh with a new coach and some projects... try build a better culture.

I think his value is likely lower than last year but its not way down. I think coming off a playoff where he went nuclear his value would obviously be a little pumped up. I think his value is still good enough that you can go to a team like NY and say "this is what the trade will be" to dictate your own terms.

Unless Don is Kawhi Leonard and will have degenerative knees until his contract expires, I don't think it's wise to rush into a trade. I think you're more likely to get a better deal by waiting it out like AD, Harden (questionable, but people swear the Rockets got a good deal), and Simmons than finding the best deal with a "surprise" trade like the Deron Williams trade. If you set a timeline on yourself to trade him, you're obviously limiting your negotiation timeline and the potential offers that come in. Buyers are more likely to increase their offer as time goes on, not get a better deal. That's just how things have played on recently and it makes sense. Desperation grows over time. Even in the AD situation where he had one year left and only wanted to be on one team the Pelicans were able to get maximum value for him. Jrue also got them maximum value.

As far as Don's perception....which I think is fairly established and doesn't swing one way or another with a good/bad year....I think he might lead the league in scoring next year. He might play more minutes, he will get more shots, and if Quin is not the coach he will likely get more assists too.

In an interview on 92.9 The Game, an Atlanta sports radio program, Schlenk commented on their 2021 offseason decisions. “We made the decision last year…to run the same group back,” Schlenk said. “We probably should’ve tried to upgrade as opposed to stay status quo.”

In regards to Smith not doing exit interviews, I hear he's over with the Salt Lake Beez trying to make them understand they'd look much hipper with their ball caps on backwards.

Unless Don is Kawhi Leonard and will have degenerative knees until his contract expires, I don't think it's wise to rush into a trade. I think you're more likely to get a better deal by waiting it out like AD, Harden (questionable, but people swear the Rockets got a good deal), and Simmons than finding the best deal with a "surprise" trade like the Deron Williams trade. If you set a timeline on yourself to trade him, you're obviously limiting your negotiation timeline and the potential offers that come in. Buyers are more likely to increase their offer as time goes on, not get a better deal. That's just how things have played on recently and it makes sense. Desperation grows over time. Even in the AD situation where he had one year left and only wanted to be on one team the Pelicans were able to get maximum value for him. Jrue also got them maximum value.

As far as Don's perception....which I think is fairly established and doesn't swing one way or another with a good/bad year....I think he might lead the league in scoring next year. He might play more minutes, he will get more shots, and if Quin is not the coach he will likely get more assists too.

The Jazz will be Donovan's team next year. I think Mike Conley might be gone, and should be out of the starting lineup, at a minimum.

I could see the Blazers trying to bring together Dame, Jerami Grant and Rudy this summer to become competitive. I think we could get them to offer their high lottery pick, plus future picks, in the deal.