What's new

Game Thread Aug 25, 2020: Jazz at Nuggets - Game 5

Added to Calendar: 08-25-20

I can live with that during the regular season but you just can't afford to have a clueless player on defense in the playoffs.
He's not clueless at all. He's in the right spots and executing... he just doesn't have the tools to be really effective.

You are saying he sucks but in a really polite way lol
He does suck on defense but just not because of the reasons stated. Yesterday he wasn't the problem and gave us pretty solid minutes.

Does he contribute more than he doesn't on this team? Be honest ?
Probably not... but he was solid yesterday and we don't have a ton of options that Quin trusts (I guess). Tony was so much worse than Niang yesterday.

We'll have plenty of film to look at defensively. Obviously, we can't just hope to outscore them. We have to get back to jazz defensive minded basketball. This offseason's objective should be to get the defense back to what it was.
Would love to hear your ideas for how we do that. Our hands are looking pretty tied.

I’ll tell you right now that there’s no way to do it if we’re starting Conley and Bojan.

Would love to hear your ideas for how we do that. Our hands are looking pretty tied.

I’ll tell you right now that there’s no way to do it if we’re starting Conley and Bojan.
We could fill the gap starting one of them, but not both.

But really to me the problem also lies in effort. I felt like everyone was a step slow yesterday. No one was focused on D. Even Rudy, our DPOY, was bad on rotations, hesitated on switches, and his help D was very sub-par for him. He needs to get that edge back. They were relentlessly attacking the rim and he hardly challenged anything. Couple plays he failed to challenge the drive to stay put on minor pieces.

If we want an elite D we need to add/replace about 3-4 pieces. We are not just one swap away from elite. But we could be 1 swap away from decent.

We could fill the gap starting one of them, but not both.

But really to me the problem also lies in effort. I felt like everyone was a step slow yesterday. No one was focused on D. Even Rudy, our DPOY, was bad on rotations, hesitated on switches, and his help D was very sub-par for him. He needs to get that edge back. They were relentlessly attacking the rim and he hardly challenged anything. Couple plays he failed to challenge the drive to stay put on minor pieces.

If we want an elite D we need to add/replace about 3-4 pieces. We are not just one swap away from elite. But we could be 1 swap away from decent.
I generally agree, but I think Morgan and Oni could be two of those pieces. If we were to sign Torrey Craig; bring Conley off the bench; get a step forward from Morgan, Oni, and Mitchell (defensively); and if Gobert plays focused throughout the year, then I think we can get as high as 8th or so. Bradley has improved, so we shouldn’t see the bench bleed as badly as we did.

Plus Niang and Ingles (who has regressed this season) getting significant minutes

Additional training would be awesome but I don’t know how that’s gonna happen if their funds are cut. Demand a decrease in funding and personnel and expect an increase in safety and effectiveness? I don’t get it. Really sad situation For that man and his family though. Sounds like a Good Samaritan type of guy.
No one is calling for cuts in training. Best idea is taking away BS work (give to other social services), reduce headcount and improve training.