What's new

Backup PG?

Tinsley.. Will be our 3rd pg..

I see burks getting a lot of burn as the sixth man PG!!

This is what I am thinking as well. Seems to me that they are pushing hard for Neto to be here now.

I got that out of the press conference when they said Neto's situation was "open-ended." I've been bad on many of my predictions lately, but I still think right after the draft they weren't committed to a "full tank" mode. Before all the free agency frenzy, there were quite a few teams that seemed they were positioned for the 2014 draft. Surprisingly, many of them have gone after good FA's. And then the UNBELIEVABLE GS deal came up whereby the Jazz could get a boatload of picks, meet the salary floor and obtain two of the WORST contracts in the NBA (relative to their on-court production). To quote the "other Miller," "the stars aligned and the planets came together."

After the draft, Lindsey and Corbin were still talking about bringing in some veteran leadership. And I don't think Biedrins and Jefferson fit that category. I think Utah was still open to bringing back Millsap, Foye, DMC and maybe even Mo. But the GS deal was a game changer.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Alec playing PG when Burke went out. That tells me they see Burks as a combo guard. If the Jazz are now ALL IN on chasing a top-5 pick, it makes sense to try to get Neto over now.

There is ZERO chance Utah goes into the season with a PG depth chart that features Burke, Neto, and McNeal. Book it.

You're 100% correct. Based on SL play, the PG depth chart is Burke, Burks and Neto. I do think Tinsley returns, though.

I was thinking there was ZERO chance the Jazz would go into the season with Hayward and Burke as their "leaders." But it certainly seems like Lindsey's and Corbin's reference to bringing in veteran leadership has changed. Jazz were linked to FA's like Landry, Mayo, etc. before the GS deal happened.

I'm guessing Tinsley is looking for a multi-year deal and the Jazz are offering one year. So he's waiting a bit. Jazz might also be waiting until they have a chance to evaluate Burke during summer league, to determine if they need a starter or a backup. I don't think it's a given that Burke is the starter.

I like Tinsely but if he could get a multi year deal from any other team in the NBA then I'd wish him good luck and farewell.

There is no way you can determine if you are right. Even if it is not Burke, Neto, McNeal that does not mean the chance was never there.

If you want to play the "anything is possible" card, then yes, you are correct. So let me rephrase:

The Utah Jazz WILL NOT enter the season without at least 1 veteran player at PG who can serve as a backup/mentor to Burke and possibly Neto. (most likely Tinsley)

Even if this Jazz team is trying to "tank" in an effort to get their youth experience and move up in the draft, one thing this orginization has NEVER done is feed a rookie to the wolves without at least some type of veteran presence behind that player. Utah's long standing belief is that it's too dangerous to go "all in" on a rookie. They feel you can damage a player long term by giving them too much/too soon, even if they view that player as a starter from game 1.

Whether Neto is released to come over this year or not, somebody like Tinsley is going to be on this roster opening night, even if he sits 3rd on the depth chart.

I think Burks would be backup PG over both Neto (unless he proves he is better at PG than Burks) and McNeal.
So I see our PG rotation as Burke, Burks, Neto/McNeal.

This is exactly what I would like to see. Burks will need more minutes, and the team has performed well with him at the point.

Not that I am necessarily right.. but I have zero doubt that's true.
C'mon, no need for modesty. Once the GS deal was done, the Jazz were fully committed to the youth movement. If Burke struggles the rest of summer league, about the only thing I could see the Jazz doing would be starting Tinsley and playing him for around 8 mins. of the 1st and 3rd quarters, just to take some pressure off Trey, give him chance to see how the game is setting up, and play half his minutes against the opposing sub. That would be enough to build up his confidence and still challenge him once their starter returned.

If you want to play the "anything is possible" card, then yes, you are correct. So let me rephrase:

The Utah Jazz WILL NOT enter the season without at least 1 veteran player at PG who can serve as a backup/mentor to Burke and possibly Neto. (most likely Tinsley)

Even if this Jazz team is trying to "tank" in an effort to get their youth experience and move up in the draft, one thing this orginization has NEVER done is feed a rookie to the wolves without at least some type of veteran presence behind that player. Utah's long standing belief is that it's too dangerous to go "all in" on a rookie. They feel you can damage a player long term by giving them too much/too soon, even if they view that player as a starter from game 1.

Whether Neto is released to come over this year or not, somebody like Tinsley is going to be on this roster opening night, even if he sits 3rd on the depth chart.
Agree with all three of those things.

Matthew Dellavedova was going to play for Orlando but instead is playing for Cleveland in Vegas. He could be somebody brought in if he does OK for the Cavs.

Dellavedova was a four year starter at St. Marys and his team won 20 games or more every year he was there, he averaged double figures scoring every year and about 5 assists. Plus having played for Australia in the Olympics and on the world stage, he's got some miles under him. He would make Burke work.

Dellavedova was a four year starter at St. Marys and his team won 20 games or more every year he was there, he averaged double figures scoring every year and about 5 assists. Plus having played for Australia in the Olympics and on the world stage, he's got some miles under him. He would make Burke work.

running primarily two rookie pg's would seriously inhibit our offense. backup needs to facilitate growth for the rest of the offense.

I say bring in Beno Udrih or Will Bynum. Someone that can push Burke a little is not a bad idea.

Burke is the type of guy that does not need to be pushed by external forces. I think he has the internal wherewithal to get to where he needs to go.

Burke is the type of guy that does not need to be pushed by external forces. I think he has the internal wherewithal to get to where he needs to go.

there was a reason lindsey kept emphasizing in the initial press conferences that no one in the nba will care that burke was the naismith poty. competition will only benefit him, show him that he isn't hot **** anymore. he isn't the best player on the court anymore and he is going to have to compete to get back to that level of dominance. how could the proven tactic of humbling big ego'd players be a bad approach?