What's new

Ben Simmons

Not surprised he coasted. He probably knew that team didn't have a chance and that his eye was on becoming the greatest in the NBA.

But I was seriously surprised when my son told me just how badly he ignored him and his friends(14-year-olds) before and after the summer league game in SLC while guys like Jaylen Brown, etc. came over and talked with them, signed their phones, etc. before AND after the game. Simmons was right there the whole time and wanted nothing to do with it.

But just the way he carries himself on the court reminds me of MJ massively. His confidence is like, "these dudes don't have a chance of stopping me". He has an economy of motion like MJ, too, he waits for the moment and strikes.

He's had a rep for being a completely full of himself **** since early high school No surprise with what you've said.

i think its a great story with Brett Brown coaching him, Brown is very, very well known and respected in Australia. It would have been great to see Jonah Bolden make their roster too. In the glory days of the NBL Brett Brown coached the North Melbourne Giants, their big rivals were the Melbourne Tigers (now United) and the South East Melbourne Magic. Ben's father Dave played with the Tigers and Jonah's father Bruce with the Magic. Its really a nice story of basketball coming full circle.
Dante's dad, Cecil, was also a team-mate of Dave Simmons with the Tigers for one season.

That's where he played most of his career. He played at the Giants too.

Brett Brown was an assistant coach at Melbourne when Exum and Simmons were there, too.

Cecil was a cool dude. He had a knee brace that pretty much resembled a golf bag, it was huge.

The Geelong team that had him, John Dorge, Shane Heal and that little dude was awesome .. what was their import's name ? Little 5-10 guy that could dunk like a maniac.

Cecil was a cool dude. He had a knee brace that pretty much resembled a golf bag, it was huge.

The Geelong team that had him, John Dorge, Shane Heal and that little dude was awesome .. what was their import's name ? Little 5-10 guy that could dunk like a maniac.

Bobby Locke !

man i'm old enough to have watched John Dorge play a lot of basketball... jesus...

I remember the Chicken Farmer from when he started with the Bullets. Now get off my lawn!

Starting center of my championship south east Melbourne Magic ... who might I point out OWNED the 36ers ... Daddy Bolden dominated your blokes

Ben with 24 PTS, 9 AST, 7 REB in a win over Houston. He's not far from averaging a triple double.

Andrew Unterberger | The700Level,NBC Sports Philadelphia

"But even if last night's game was JJ Redick's Process Bar Mitzvah, I still wanna talk about Ben Simmons today. He had a rough-ish shooting night from the field, only hitting 5-13, but still racked up his second triple-double of the season, with 14 points, 11 boards and 11 assists, including dimes on two of those final three Redick triples. He even hit all four of his free throws, bringing his average for the year at the charity stripe all the way up to... well, 59 percent still isn't great, but it's better than 55 percent anyway.

Yet with all this, what really impressed me with Simmons last night was his late-game defense, which absolutely bailed the Sixers out late in this one. He made the Sixers' two biggest plays on the other side of the ball, first snuffing out a Darren Collison drive in transition that should've been an easy layup after Joel Embiid blew a wide-open dunk at the other end. Then standing tall against a Victor Oladipo's triple - in which Oladipo (who torched the Sixers for 31) tried desperately to draw a foul on Simmons after pump-faking, but which Simmons side-stepped while still contesting. He also ended with two steals and a career-high three blocks, making for maybe his most complete all-around performance on the season. There aren't a lot of things this guy can't do. (Besides, y'know, shoot with the correct hand.)"

59% from the free throw line? Wow, that’s a bit shocking to me. I had no idea

59% from the free throw line? Wow, that’s a bit shocking to me. I had no idea

That's about what he shot in college, iirc.

It's crazy how much he's able to dominate the NBA as a rookie and without a jump shot. Add experience and a jumper, and he could be the best player in the league.

Simmons' season averages so far:

18.0 points, 9.8 rebounds, 8.2 assists, 52% FG

(and Philly has won 4 straight)

last couple years it's felt like he peaked at Grantland but i'm liking some of the new stuff at The Ringer, vintage B.Simmons looks to be making a comeback.

For the record, before the season I said that Ball will struggle with his shot in the NBA, and that Simmons is frontrunner in ROY race. Cy disagreed. ;)