What's new

Better player right now: Whiteside or Gobert?

b9e7dee689c0ff76c377e8617ac48429.jpg
549d13b870515a307753d4f53e003878.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Nobody is quoting any stats. Hmmmm.

Look at their per 36 #'s, it's a landslide in Whitesides favor.. He's also better at handling low passes, he improved his FT% by a sizeable margin this season..

Whiteside's block % is 9.8 that'd be the 4th highest season all time, only bested by Manute Bol in 85-86, 86-87 and 88-89

Look at their per 36 #'s, it's a landslide in Whitesides favor.. He's also better at handling low passes, he improved his FT% by a sizeable margin this season..

Whiteside's block % is 9.8 that'd be the 4th highest all time, only bested by Manute Bol in 85-86, 86-87 and 88-89

Last time I looked into it, the advanced stats for defense showed Rudy in much more favorable light. Opponent shot% at rim, etc.

Last time I looked into it, the advanced stats for defense showed Rudy in much more favorable light. Opponent shot% at rim, etc.

This.

Whiteside has an incredible block % yet has a terrible rim protection %; whereas Rudy has been #1 in rim protection for two seasons.

I think Rudy said it best earlier this year with a quote something along the lines of, "Hassan is a good shot blocker, but he's not a good defender."

So let me get this straight.. Y'all think the Jazz would have less wins if Rudy was swapped for Hassan this year??

I'm not saying the defense would be better off... The offense certainly would be though.. He shoots better %'s across the board while attempting more difficult shots..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Z1o1B2D7w

IMO Utah would be closer to 50 wins with Hassan.

Rudy obviously has much more intrinsic value moving forward though..

^you're shifting the grounds of the question.
I already answered the question

Hassan's posted the highest PER in the league for any player 6'10" or taller 2 seasons in a row.

Do you really think the Heat would've been better off with Rudy this season??

This.

Whiteside has an incredible block % yet has a terrible rim protection %; whereas Rudy has been #1 in rim protection for two seasons.

I think Rudy said it best earlier this year with a quote something along the lines of, "Hassan is a good shot blocker, but he's not a good defender."

I've read numerous articles stating Whiteside is a horrible P&R defender. Also a few that teammates have been upset at him because of his defense. Miami apparently isn't going to break the bank to bring him back. I think that says it all about Hassan. He's out for stats, but not all that interested in being a great teammate. Hmmm....I think I know of a player who sounds exactly like that. Last name sounds something like Cancer.

I already answered the question

Hassan's posted the highest PER in the league for any player 6'10" or taller 2 seasons in a row.

Do you really think the Heat would've been better off with Rudy this season??

I didn't say you never answered the question. I said you're trying to shift the grounds of the question (perhaps after you'd answered it??).

The question in the OP isn't about if the Jazz or the Heat would be better off in different conditions.

It's pretty clear you think Hassan is the better player right now. I'd rather have Rudy, tomorrow and into the future.

I'm also 10+ years of being sick of the argument that a player is better offensively when the justification for that statement is backed by simple scoring numbers. When a player has the passing limitations of a Whiteside or a Kanter, then please back off those statements. Pls. tia.

Whiteside is a better offensive player. But he is VASTLY overrated as a defender. Blocks are not the be-all/end-all of being a defender. I'd rather have Rudy.

Right Now: Hassan Whiteside

Could Rudy be better in 3 years, sure. Rudy is a liability on the offensive end. He has trouble catching passes in the paint if it's not a lob. Turns it over too much for a big as well. Rudy needs to put on 25 pounds and become an actual imposing figure instead of just being tall and having long arms.

These are just my uneducated thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Rudy putting on 25 pounds would be a ****ing disaster and is an epically stupid idea.

I didn't say you never answered the question. I said you're trying to shift the grounds of the question (perhaps after you'd answered it??).

The question in the OP isn't about if the Jazz or the Heat would be better off in different conditions.

It's pretty clear you think Hassan is the better player right now. I'd rather have Rudy, tomorrow and into the future.
He is the better player right now, it's not really even all that close, he's also improved more then Rudy since last season..

I question how many Heat games people in this thread have even watched..

The only bigs above Whiteside in Win shares this season are DeAndre Jordan and LaMarcus Aldridge, and Whiteside's got both of them beat in Win Shares per 48 minutes..

My point is the Jazz would've already clinched the playoffs if Hassan and Rudy were swapped this season. Not saying he'd be a huge upgrade, he'd just be better.

Also some of Whiteside's rim protection #'s would obviously be better with Derrick Favors playing next to him..

He is the better player right now, it's not really even all that close, he's also improved more then Rudy since last season..

I question how many Heat games people in this thread have even watched..

The only bigs above Whiteside in Win shares this season are DeAndre Jordan and LaMarcus Aldridge, and Whiteside's got both of them beat in Win Shares per 48 minutes..

My point is the Jazz would've already clinched the playoffs if Hassan and Rudy were swapped this season. Not saying he'd be a huge upgrade, he'd just be better.

Also some of Whiteside's rim protection #'s would obviously be better with Derrick Favors playing next to him..

OOH DAMN! PG_AB jest used NAOS you have not watched any NBA line against himself.

I'd have to go with Gobert though the kid needs to work on hand strength stat. He gets stripped way tooo much in the low post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9J2wTJyxg

If there's a stronger candidate than Whitesides to go full Larry Sanders (become completely unglued, completely lose interest in basketball once he gets his money), I'd be fascinated who it is.