Better than last year's team?

PG Williams, Watson, Price
SG Bell, Miles
SF Kirilenko, Hayward, Evans
PF Millsap, Okur, AK
C Jefferson, Okur, Fesenko, Elson

(Fixed)

Waaaay better than last year.

Well, if we trade AK, we may have chemistry issues for at least the early part of the season: six core players (if you consider Maynor in that category and I would) will be gone from last year. Having AK would help with the new players because he knows the system, arguably better than anyone on the team, or at least equally with Deron.

Well, if we trade AK, we may have chemistry issues for at least the early part of the season: six core players (if you consider Maynor in that category and I would) will be gone from last year. Having AK would help with the new players because he knows the system, arguably better than anyone on the team, or at least equally with Deron.

I totally agree with the chemistry issue. It seems a lot of people doin't understand what Kirilenko brings to the Jazz other than his big contract.
I mean, so what if the Jazz have to pay out one more year of that contract, and pay some LT royalties.

I've said it before, if the Millers are ever going to be serious in contending for a championship, they have to be willing to pay.
It's a sad way that the league works, but that's how it works nowdays.

I agree with your ideas except for the very end. If AJ can be a 20-10 guy, isn't that really no different than Booze, so why would you expect a jump to 53-55 wins even with a slow start? In other words, what, in your opinion, about this team is better than the one we had last year to expect a better record?
Perhaps because AJ/Millsap are the starters vs. Okur/Boozer. And a healthy AK. And a healthy Miles. Also, don't forget Korver was hurt for the first half of the season. So Raja or CJ replaces Brewer in the starting lineup. Hawyard comes off the bench like Matthews did initially.

I agree the Jazz may get off to a slow start initially as everyonbe learns their roles and the new guys learn the offense. But they did last year as well.

The difference this season is that the team is better balanced. Boozer was not a low-post threat. And when he and Miilsap played together, both were targeting that 12-16 footer as their main weapon. Now Al will work inside and Millsap (and Okur when he comes back) will complement with the mid range or 3-pt shot. Same at the 2/3. Brewer and AK were both similar players. Defenders weren't worried about leaving them open outside, as both needed to drive to the hoop to be effective. Now Raja can be another outside threat.

I also think Watson is a HUGE upgrade. Hiow many times did the Jazz squander leads or fall further behind when Deron came out? And how many times did Deron have to be brought back in late because what looked like an easy win had suddenly become a close ball game?

Perhaps because AJ/Millsap are the starters vs. Okur/Boozer. And a healthy AK. And a healthy Miles. Also, don't forget Korver was hurt for the first half of the season. So Raja or CJ replaces Brewer in the starting lineup. Hawyard comes off the bench like Matthews did initially.

I agree the Jazz may get off to a slow start initially as everyonbe learns their roles and the new guys learn the offense. But they did last year as well.

The difference this season is that the team is better balanced. Boozer was not a low-post threat. And when he and Miilsap played together, both were targeting that 12-16 footer as their main weapon. Now Al will work inside and Millsap (and Okur when he comes back) will complement with the mid range or 3-pt shot. Same at the 2/3. Brewer and AK were both similar players. Defenders weren't worried about leaving them open outside, as both needed to drive to the hoop to be effective. Now Raja can be another outside threat.

I also think Watson is a HUGE upgrade. Hiow many times did the Jazz squander leads or fall further behind when Deron came out? And how many times did Deron have to be brought back in late because what looked like an easy win had suddenly become a close ball game?

I don't know about the Watson comment there man.
Price has done a damn good job for this team.
Remember the almost single handed comeback against the Lakers two seasons back? That's just an obvious example.

I don't know about the Watson comment there man.
Price has done a damn good job for this team.
Remember the almost single handed comeback against the Lakers two seasons back? That's just an obvious example.

That's also one of very few examples. You remember that because it was against the Lakers in an important
game. Price has been a mixed bag, struggling for long stretches of the regular season. I am not sure though how much of an upgrade would Watson be, will have to wait and see.

I totally agree with the chemistry issue. It seems a lot of people doin't understand what Kirilenko brings to the Jazz other than his big contract.
I mean, so what if the Jazz have to pay out one more year of that contract, and pay some LT royalties.

I've said it before, if the Millers are ever going to be serious in contending for a championship, they have to be willing to pay.
It's a sad way that the league works, but that's how it works nowdays.

They have to pay for a championship, sure and I have been as vocal as any other critic out there as far as the Millers' MO is concerned. But you are wrong if you think spending it on AK is the way to go. They are not just paying him 18 mil but also spending another few millions on LT because of his salary. For what? For being the 4th or 5th option on offense and just above average on defense? The only thing that I can fault the Jazz for here, is the timing of this. They should have done this 2-3 yrs back. Not now, when he is in a contract year, possibly motivated and with his salary set to come off the books. And the Diaw trade doesnt improve us basketball-wise either. Bit if you had asked me whether they should have pulled the trade on him a year or two back for saving some $$$, I would have said yes. A guy like Gerald Wallace makes half as much as AK does and gives you as much or more.

I think we have potential to be a better team than last year.

At point I think Deron,Watson and Price is slightly superior to Deron,Price and Gaines. Simply put Watson is a much better player than Gaines.

Overall slight improvement at PG

At shooting guard we are replacing Matthews,CJ Miles and Brewer with Raja Bell, CJ Miles and one of Jeffers/Thompson/Nichols. Matthews had great heart but so does Raja Bell. Matthews learned quickly on the job of defending the best players in the league. Raja has been doing it for years. Raja Bell is also a far superior 3 pt shoot to Matthews. CJ Miles this year should be a little better than last year. But Brewer is much better player than any of un-guaranteed guys. So we lost some depth but probably have a better starter for this year. (Of course Raja is 34 so he may start fade soon.)

Overall slight improvement at SG

At small forward last year we had AK, Korver and Brewer/Miles. This year we have AK, Hayward and Miles/Un-guaranteed guys. AK this year could be slight improved as it is a contract. Korver versus Hayward will be an interesting change. Korver was slower and stronger but Hayward is taller and is more athletic. Korver really only catch and shoot or catch and passed. Hayward can do those things and he handle can the ball really well too. Both of them are defensive liabilities but I think Hayward can improve to adequate. Again just like at SG we lost some depth here but I think we be able to hold steady here.

Overall SF just about the same

I think it makes sense to evaulate our bigs are group. Last year we had 3 main rotation guys Boozer, Millsap and Okur. This year we will have Millsap, Jefferson and Okur (once he starts to play again). I see Millsap as continuing to improve. And in a best case scenario Okur is going to lose at least a little. The really interesting thing is to see how Boozer and Jefferson compare. Offensively Boozer was a very good finisher around the basket and an excellent face-up mid-range guy. Boozer also was a good passer in our offense. He had a decent post game. Jefferson has a dominate post game and a good face game. He isn't as good as a finisher and is somewhat of an unknown as a passer. They are both excellent rebounders. Jefferson is a better shotblocker. Both players have had problems with their health. So with Millsap a slight plus, Okur a solid minus and Jefferson a slight minus over Boozer last year.

Overall I see our main bigs as a slightly worse than last year with the potential to be better by the end of the season.

Our backup big men last year were Fess and Koufos. Now we have Fess, Elston and Evans. Elston is a better player than Koufos and Evan provides a different option when teams go small.

Overall our backup bigs have improved slightly.

The final thing about this years team versus last year. Last year we had 3 tough guys- Deron, Matthews and Millsap. We lost Matthews and added two veteran tough guys in Bell and Watson. I see this team improving in their mental focus and toughness.

Our intangibles way up

In the end with Memo being out to start the year and the time it will take to acclimatize all the new faces I believe our record will be slightly worse than last season but in the end we will have a better team.