What's new

Bill Simmons: Prediction No. 1: Utah tries like hell to trade up for Jabari Parker.

oyster

https://grantland.com/features/the-nba-simmons-self-mailbag/

Prediction No. 1: Utah tries like hell to trade up for Jabari Parker.
I’m almost positive that Jabari is the first Mormon who can be described like this: “A little bit of Paul Pierce and a little Carmelo offensively, only if they were more fun to play with, and they were trapped in Rudy Gay’s body if Rudy needed to go gluten-free and hire a personal trainer.” Hey, Sam Hinkie, you love collecting assets like Leo DiCaprio collects models. And you’re not crazy about taking Jabari, anyway — what if Utah flipped you no. 5 for no. 3 and no. 23 and threw in Alec Burks plus a first-round pick-swap in any of the next three years? Would that do it? Any interest? Any?

The 5 and Burks to get Parker might be my worst nightmare that I could actually see the Jazz doing in this draft.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Yep. I'm not in love with Jabari. He's going to be a "nice" Carmelo, but still so much of a liability on defensive that scoring 20 pts/per won't matter. Unleash Burks and he's an 18/per scorer with the ability to get to the line. And I certainly wouldn't give them Burks, the #5, the #23 PLUS the option to switch picks in a future season. Jabari does not have the potential to be MJ, Lebron or Kobe.

Teams will know what the Jazz want.

The jazz want Parker...so the jazz may be able to do anything in their power to trade up to get parker...especially if a team knows they can secure exum or wiggins.

well idk.....but burks? I really like Burks. I'd be willing to get rid of hayward and get parker. LMAO

Ya, this is basically what I just said in the ESPN thread.

I believe Jazz will try everything to get Jabari. I believe it's going to happen, and it will be brilliant.

Get Jabari.

The 5 and Burks to get Parker might be my worst nightmare that I could actually see the Jazz doing in this draft.

The logic would be that it's easier to get a SG (especially when we already have Hayward) than it is to get a player like Parker.

That said, Burks could become something close to a James Harden.

Yep. I'm not in love with Jabari. He's going to be a "nice" Carmelo, but still so much of a liability on defensive that scoring 20 pts/per won't matter. Unleash Burks and he's an 18/per scorer with the ability to get to the line. And I certainly wouldn't give them Burks, the #5, the #23 PLUS the option to switch picks in a future season. Jabari does not have the potential to be MJ, Lebron or Kobe.

Exactly. Burks is just 22 and put up 18, 4 and 4 on 46% FGs at 22 in his first real season. It's not out of the question he could be a top 5 SG in the next few years. Too steep a price for a rookie with weight concerns who may or may not be a good player.

Doubting Jabari is like the worst take I've heard a long time.

Jabari is a freaking stud.

Teams will know what the Jazz want.

The jazz want Parker...so the jazz may be able to do anything in their power to trade up to get parker...especially if a team knows they can secure exum or wiggins.

well idk.....but burks? I really like Burks. I'd be willing to get rid of hayward and get parker. LMAO
It's ASSUMED the Jazz want Parker. But do they?

Everyone links Parker to the Jazz because he's a Mormon, just like everyone thought Utah wanted Fredette and every white player gets projected to the Jazz.

Everyone links Parker to the Jazz because he's a Mormon, just like everyone thought Utah wanted Fredette and every white player gets projected to the Jazz.

Jabari sure came to play against Mercer in the NCAA Tournament.

It's not even close to being the same. Being Mormon has nothing to do with how good he is. It's just a bonus for us and improves our chances he would like living here.

Comparing the situation to Jimmer isn't the same.

If PKM is right that Philly really likes Randle, then it could happen.

My hope would be that #5 + #23 + 2017 GS pick would be enough. I'd be sad to see any member of our core go.

Doesn't Jabari weigh like 400 lbs by now? It's hilarious how down people are on this dude. He is simply the best NBA-ready player in the draft. He is gonna kill it in the NBA. If we get him, we should be dancing in the streets.

There is no way in hell I'm doing 5th 23rd and Burks for 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank god you aren't running the team then

I'd rather ship someone else of instead of Burks though. Switch Burks with Kanter and that's better. But I'd still trade Burks for Jabari.

If PKM is right that Philly really likes Randle, then it could happen.

My hope would be that #5 + #23 + 2017 GS pick would be enough. I'd be sad to see any member of our core go.

If true that they do like Randle. Then wouldn't just the 5 & 23 be enough? I thought I heard the 2017 class was as good as this one???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something else noting in the article:

Prediction No. 3: If the Celtics don’t trade their pick, they’re taking Shawn Marion 2.0 (a.k.a. Aaron Gordon).

That’s right, Matrix 2! (Whoops, that movie sucked — bad nickname.) What about … The Re-Matrix? I believe that Gordon is destined to become this year’s Russell Westbrook — a.k.a. the crazy-competitive, crazy-good athlete who doesn’t seem to have an official position yet, only the more teams work him out and watch tape of him, the more they fall in love with him. I’m worried about Utah taking him fifth if they can’t trade up for Jabari. Don’t tell anyone.

Sorry Bill, I was the first to say Gordon could be a Westbrook pick.