What's new

Black or Wallace?

Which point guard would rather have with the 9th pick?

• Total voters
I only see one the percentage for one player in your post. Im gonna need the percentage of the other player in the comparison in order to compare them. Also gonna need volume of attempts.

Black:

45.3% from field on 9.2 attempts
51.3% from 2 on 6.6 attempts
30.6% from 3 on 2.6 attempts

Wallace:

44.6% from field on 9.8 attempts
51.4% from 2 on 5.8 attempts
34.6% from 3 on 4.0 attempts

Let me put it this way if Black shot 37/38% from 3 he’d be a top-5 pick lock. We aren’t talking about perfect prospects here. The literal only knock on Black is his shooting and I think he will be able to be serviceable in the league from 3.

Looking the stats now.
Black attempts 3 three pointers per 40 minutes
Wallace attempts 5.
Black shoots 30% from three.
Wallace shoots 35%
Black shoots 70.5% from the line
Wallace shoots 76%

Seems like Wallace is the better shooter based simply on stats. (I hear the eye test favors wallace in shooting as well)

Fwiw I have seen quite a few posts critical of wallace shooting. I have got the impression that you draft wallace for his defense more than offense. Saw multiple comps to marcus smart who I always though of as a bad shooter early in his career (seems to have improved though)

it is. he was at 24% in SEC play - and yes, he was dealing with injuries, but it's impossible to know how much of that was nagging injury related and how much is just issues with his shooting. it's a concern whether you want to admit it or not.

to be clear, concern =/= won't be a good shooter.

It’s a concern for both yet I only see it being brought up as negative for Black.

I personally think Black is the better defender and passer plus he’s bigger. Not much of a comparison.
I think its a bigger concern for Black. Cason is really good catch and shoot iirc. His numbers in the midrange are good too. With Black if you watched the games he could shoot a three probably whenever he wanted. It wasn't just that they sagged off of him but that they had zero shooting... so watching him in game I kept thinking just shoot the pullup a couple times when the drop way under the screen.

I will be very happy if we take him but he was a bit of an enigma at Arkansas. I'm completely split on them. I think they are both likely good players and Black might be the higher ceiling guy. If he's there at #9 I'm good taking him and if he works well and the shot comes around he creates amazing basketball flexibility... which can be this teams superpower. If he doesn't then it hurts the flexibility of what you can do.

I think the Kentucky guard thing is now real too... its just happened too often. Washington may end up making this choice for us.

I think its a bigger concern for Black. Cason is really good catch and shoot iirc. His numbers in the midrange are good too. With Black if you watched the games he could shoot a three probably whenever he wanted. It wasn't just that they sagged off of him but that they had zero shooting... so watching him in game I kept thinking just shoot the pullup a couple times when the drop way under the screen.

I will be very happy if we take him but he was a bit of an enigma at Arkansas. I'm completely split on them. I think they are both likely good players and Black might be the higher ceiling guy. If he's there at #9 I'm good taking him and if he works well and the shot comes around he creates amazing basketball flexibility... which can be this teams superpower. If he doesn't then it hurts the flexibility of what you can do.

I think the Kentucky guard thing is now real too... its just happened too often. Washington may end up making this choice for us.

I’ve think we’ve both watched more Arkansas games than anyone on here. Like I said if Black shot a good percentage from 3 we wouldn’t even be discussing him as an option. He has the best IQ in the draft and is the best passer in the draft.

Black was dealing with the worst spacing I’ve ever seen.
I agree... but Cason also had a post heavy offense... and I know since you play how annoying that can be to work with as a perimeter player.

This is why I'm legitimately split on these two. Good news is there may be no really wrong answer.

I’ve watched more Arkansas games than anyone on here. Like I said if Black shot a good percentage from 3 we wouldn’t even be discussing him as an option. He has the best IQ in the draft and is the best passer in the draft.
Wasn't an attack... Arkansas was one of the few teams I watched a bunch this year. I agree their spacing was wildly bad... even for college basketball.

If it's a choice between those 2 I think Ainge would take Black due to his size.

I think there's a good chance the Wizards take one of them so a guy like Hendricks/Ausur/Whitmore potentially falls to the Jazz.
Wiz are the pivot point... and they currently don't have a GM... its anyone's guess what they do.

I was the original Black defender but at some point in the season I just had such a hard time watching them. It would not take much to get me back on the train.

Another thing with these guys... both seem like A+ kids with A+ attitudes.

I was the original Black defender but at some point in the season I just had such a hard time watching them. It would not take much to get me back on the train.

Another thing with these guys... both seem like A+ kids with A+ attitudes.
they give A+ effort, and both have high bball IQs. they each have concerns with their games especially on offense, but with either one you are getting dudes who are going to get after it, work hard, play smart and get it done on the defensive end.

I also don’t dislike Cason. I would very happy if we drafted him. Thing is I wouldn’t take him over anyone in my top-9 and Dallas isn’t taking him so if we really wanted him we could either trade up from 16 to get him or trade down from 9 a couple spots.