What's new

Boozer who?

LOL. Touche, ya bastad!

You need an avatar.

Arrested_Development_-_Franklin_small.jpg

I gotta disagree with ya here, frank. It is likely that the vast majority of people here find such proclamations to be highly insightful and meaningful.

And I gotta disagre with ya here, Hopper. It's likely the vast majority of people here ain't picking up on you insulting them with this line. Sorry I had to point that out?

It is an exaggeration, but not a big one, for me to state that, best I can tell, for many, "homophobic" simply means "not a homosexual."

Well, I'll sort of agree with you there. I also think the phrase "homophobic" is grossly overused, and it's not the phrase I myself would have used in the subject title of the announcement. I have also been accused of being "homophobic" for being against gay marriage. (Not on this board, though.)

I think the phrase "homosexual slurs" is much more appropriate to describe what we're talking about, as it was used in this part of the announcement:

The moderating staff recently reached a consensus that going forward we will not be as tolerant of homosexual slurs as we have been in the past. Users posting defamatory remarks on this basis may receive warnings or infractions in the future.

Well, thanks for that concession, Colton. It leads me to believe that you may in fact have some conception of what I'm even talking about (whether you agree or not). There has already been a long-*** thread in the general discussion forum on this topic, and there's no sense in tryin to repeat it all here. But, quickly:

The moderating staff recently reached a consensus that going forward we will not be as tolerant of homosexual slurs as we have been in the past. Users posting defamatory remarks on this basis may receive warnings or infractions in the future.

What is "defamatory" by these standards? I have a feelin that the interpretation of this word, in this context, would not be universally agreed upon (remember franklin's post--which seems to incorporate the views of many others who have commented on the topic). Without more, it's hard to know what the "rule" is, because different people, some of whom are extremely sensitive to any hint of disapproval, would consider different statements to be "defamatory."

Just avoid name calling or making enemies. The less you get reported, the fewer warnings you get (yes, to a degree, it's a popularity contest, but the current moderating staff seems pretty fair to me).

Since narrowly avoiding a banning, I've received no infractions of any kind from the moderators (although, admittedly, I've deserved many). It's been a couple years or so.

Threads on homosexuality, politics or religion are definite no-nos. I try to avoid the general board altogether.

You can talk all you like about not agreeing with homosexuality for whatever reason (as far as I can tell), but calling someone a dirty *** should earn you a slap on the wrist (if you get reported...which is likely if you're an ***...).