What's new

Boozer who?

Anti-trolling rules are still real rules, even though you can't quantify trolling. Anti-spamming rules are still real rules, even though you can't quantify spamming. Sure, we'd all like bright-line rules, but it's not always possible.

Naw, Eric, a "real rule" is one that is uniformly applied to all it purports to govern and which is not distorted beyond all reasonable meaning, just for the purpose of sayin sumbuddy ya don't like broke it.

It's not a question of "bright lines," although I think there is a "bright line" past which you can clearly say that a purported "rule" is not a real rule but a mere pretense. The mere fact that every supposedly objectionable behavior can't be explicitly be spelled out in advance does NOT mean that all behavior is therefore a violation, if I choose to say so.

There are nominal rules, and real rules, I agree with that.

Last edited:
I agree, Plate, it is pretty obvious. But why make a pretense otherwise? If you're right, the FAQ's should simply say: "If you say, do, think, or act in a way that 3 moderators don't approve of you will be removed from the board."

Actually, it would be, "If you act (repeatedly) in a way that 3 moderators DISAPPROVE of (strongly enough), you will be removed from the board."

Huge difference.

What the hell does that even mean? Your intentional obtuseness is irritating. Go read the forum guidelines, your "real rules":

https://jazzfanz.com/faq.php

I'm pretty sure this is what The Hopper is getting at:

It's pretty obvious that there is no "objective" moderating policies. "Objective" moderating policies don't exist... The mods can do whatever they want.

What exactly are you not comprehending?

Unfortunately for the rest of us, there are no rules against posting with a lame fake accent.

Like The Hopper said, there is an ignore feature for those who cannot handle the way others are. I'm not suggesting an old redwood or anything, but grow up, do yourself a favor and either use it or quit acting like a whiny kid.

Actually, it would be, "If you act (repeatedly) in a way that 3 moderators DISAPPROVE of (strongly enough), you will be removed from the board."

Huge difference.

Thanks for the correction, Colton. Yeah, one who doesn't approve may be merely neutral, so there is a definite difference between "don't approve," and "disapprove." Thanks, also, for clarifying the meaning behind the "rules."

I was readin the jazz game thread from the raptor's fan site last night. During the course of it, a poster was banned. The reason seemed to be that a mod didn't agree with him and he (the mod) apparently didn't recieve the degree of deference he felt he was entitled to, by virtue of his position alone. Best I could tell, no other poster gave it a second thought, as though that is precisely what they would expect to happen, under the circumstances. Give the average person the power to destroy anything that displeases him, and chances are you'll see a great deal of wanton destruction goin down.

Here's the end of it:

MB666: So Belsius just gave me two infractions lol. In two minutes. What a loser. Oh no... what a lose if I get banned from an internet forum

Benzo (admin): Good bye. [MB666 banned]

Juordis: Why so mad ppl? Everyone just says what they think? Or it`s not allowed?

jeffb [after quotin Benzo sayin "Good bye.']: Finally, some entertainment tonight. lol

Last edited:
Like The Hopper said, there is an ignore feature for those who cannot handle the way others are. I'm not suggesting an old redwood or anything, but grow up, do yourself a favor and either use it or quit acting like a whiny kid.

I have nothing against the ignore feature. I encourage people to use it if they find a poster obnoxious. I don't use it myself, and I don't really care who does or who doesn't. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I was readin the jazz game thread from the raptor's fan site last night. During the course of it, a poster was banned. The reason seemed to be that a mod didn't agree with him and he (the mod) apparently didn't recieve the degree of deference he felt he was entitled to, by virtue of his position alone. Best I could tell, no other poster gave it a second thought, as though that is precisely what they would expect to happen, under the circumstances. Give the average person the power to destroy anything that displeases him, and chances are you'll see a great deal of wanton destruction goin down.

It's a freaking message board, not the constitutional convention. I wouldn't care to stick around on a board where that was common, so I would use the "ignore feature" of not going there.

Here's the end of it:

MB666: So Belsius just gave me two infractions lol. In two minutes. What a loser. Oh no... what a lose if I get banned from an internet forum

Benzo (admin): Good bye. [MB666 banned]

Juordis: Why so mad ppl? Everyone just says what they think? Or it`s not allowed?

jeffb [after quotin Benzo sayin "Good bye.']: Finally, some entertainment tonight. lol

As much as a certain segment of posters likes to complain about the JF moderating policies, this is the way most long-established team boards operate. TroutBum lasted about 4 days on Realgm before being punted out of existence. The irony of Hopper's post is that it seems to imply that all boards that ban users based on moderation policies are equally bad because it places the power to destroy in the hands of someone, but I think it's difficult for any reasonable person to conclude that JF is as capricious as whatever Raptors board he pulled that from. Alas when the world is black and white the obvious difference is rendered meaningless.

Those that claim not to understand the rules here are a small but vocal subset, and probably always will be.

As much as a certain segment of posters likes to complain about the JF moderating policies, this is the way most long-established team boards operate. TroutBum lasted about 4 days on Realgm before being punted out of existence. The irony of Hopper's post is that it seems to imply that all boards that ban users based on moderation policies are equally bad because it places the power to destroy in the hands of someone, but I think it's difficult for any reasonable person to conclude that JF is as capricious as whatever Raptors board he pulled that from. Alas when the world is black and white the obvious difference is rendered meaningless.

From what I can tell (not much, really) the raptor's board has a rule against insulting others (calling someone "dumb" or a "moran" is deemed to be an insult). If that's the rule, and if it's uniformly enforced, then fine. Frankly, I get a little weary of those kinda petty insults bein bandied about on this here board 24/7. But there are also indications that it is not a uniformly enforced rule.

This was apparently a dispute between a Lithuanian poster, who suggested that Klieiza was their best shooter and should be gettin more shots (he was 2-4, at the time), and a Spaniad moderator who said Klieiza was terrible. The poster said he was an idiot who didn't even look at the stat sheet before making the proclamation, and suggested he was prejudiced against Klieza because Lithuania beat Spain in some European contest. Any of this sound kinda familiar?

The Spaniard mod apparently issued two quick infractions, and then an admin stepped in and administered the coup de grace to the poster for his last post, explaining that he was a "jackass." The mod who gave the infractions indicated that he had been lenient with this poster in the past when the banned poster was presumably "insulting" other (non-mod) posters. The point has to do with human nature, not Jazzfanz.

Those that claim not to understand the rules here are a small but vocal subset, and probably always will be.

I have yet to see ANYBODY, let alone some subset, claim they understand the rules here. At least not anybody who could back up their claim with any kinda coherent explication of the rules.

From the way I understand Colton, punishable offenses are what 3 mods deem them to be. Once that's determined, you'll know what you did "wrong."

I don't know what 2814 was issued an infraction for (such things seldom are known by any non-moderator), and I didn't pay particularly close attention to every post he made. That said, I didn't see anything that stood out as bein unusual in this forum. Which leads one to wonder why he got an infraction when others don't. Because the mods "just don't like him," mebbe?

All I said is that I would prefer that "pretexts" be avoided, for the sake of clarity if nuthin else. If a poster is punished because the mods don't like him or because they disagree with the positions he takes, they should just say so, rather than claim it is because he violated some "rule'" which they routinely let those they like violate.

Last edited:
colton said:
Thanks for the correction, Colton. Yeah, one who doesn't approve may be merely neutral, so there is a definite difference between "don't approve," and "disapprove." Thanks, also, for clarifying the meaning behind the "rules."

...says the guy that pointedly ignored the words I added in parentheses.

But anyway, I wasn't clarifying the meaning behind the rules. I was correcting the point that *you* were trying to make, so that it was closer to reality.

From the way I understand Colton, punishable offenses are what 3 mods deem them to be. Once that's determined, you'll know what you did "wrong."

You're putting words in my mouth. *You* are the one that tried to phrase the rules that way, not me. I was merely fixing some of the more egregious errors with the way you stated things.

Frankly, these seem clear enough to me. As they do to 99.9% of the other posters.

As I think I've said in the past, maybe it's *you* who have the genuine problem here, not the other 99.9% of us.

Hopper said:
All I said is that I would prefer that "pretexts" be avoided, for the sake of clarity if nuthin else. If a poster is punished because the mods don't like him or because they disagree with the positions he takes, they should just say so, rather than claim it is because he violated some "rule'" which they routinely let those they like violate.

If a poster ever gets "punished" because the mods don't like him, or because the mods disagree with the positions he takes, we'll be sure to say so. So far it hasn't happened.

From what I can tell (not much, really) the raptor's board has a rule against insulting others (calling someone "dumb" or a "moran" is deemed to be an insult). If that's the rule, and if it's uniformly enforced, then fine. Frankly, I get a little weary of those kinda petty insults bein bandied about on this here board 24/7. But there are also indications that it is not a uniformly enforced rule.

This was apparently a dispute between a Lithuanian poster, who suggested that Klieiza was their best shooter and should be gettin more shots (he was 2-4, at the time), and a Spaniad moderator who said Klieiza was terrible. The poster said he was an idiot who didn't even look at the stat sheet before making the proclamation, and suggested he was prejudiced against Klieza because Lithuania beat Spain in some European contest. Any of this sound kinda familiar?

The Spaniard mod apparently issued two quick infractions, and then an admin stepped in and administered the coup de grace to the poster for his last post, explaining that he was a "jackass." The mod who gave the infractions indicated that he had been lenient with this poster in the past when the banned poster was presumably "insulting" other (non-mod) posters. The point has to do with human nature, not Jazzfanz.

I have yet to see ANYBODY, let alone some subset, claim they understand the rules here. At least not anybody who could back up their claim with any kinda coherent explication of the rules.

I don't know what 2814 was issued an infraction for (such things seldom are known by any non-moderator), and I didn't pay particularly close attention to every post he made. That said, I didn't see anything that stood out as bein unusual in this forum. Which leads one to wonder why he got an infraction when others don't. Because the mods "just don't like him," mebbe?

I understand the rules fine. Seems like your the one not quite bright enough to understand them. Seems pretty basic to me as well as most of the rest of the posters on the board. At least that's the way it seems to me.

If you don't like the rules or disagree with how they are enforced, well then don't post.

Frankly, these seem clear enough to me. As they do to 99.9% of the other posters.

As I think I've said in the past, maybe it's *you* who have the genuine problem here, not the other 99.9% of us.

Colton, I know you don't want to get into any substantive discussion of the rules, so I won't even try. I will, however, in response to your 99.9% claim, note a few things, viz:

1. There is a difference between understanding the rules "as written" versus the rules "as applied" (the "real rules," in my vernacular).

2. It is easy to SAY that "Everybody knows what (disorderly conduct, homophobic comments, trollin, etc.--insert your own prohibition) means." Notwithstanding their smug self-assurance, any such claim is prima facie foolish, if ya ax me.

3. The difficulty in trying to understand rules "as applied," becomes much more acute when a phrase like "disorderly conduct" (not a rule here, just a hypothetical example) is deemed to include such things as the utterance of words in the reverse order intended (in a "disorderly" manner, see?). Again, that's just a hypothetical example. It could be anything, like mebbe makin a post in such a "disorderly" fashion that some posters can't tell which parts of it are quotations and which aint.

4. The problem is further exacerbated when any simple, sincere request for an indication of what a phrase like "homophobic comments" is intended to include is deleted from a post and ignored. One almost gets the impression that the mods want to keep things as ambiguous, imprecise, and malleable as possible, to give them maximum latitude when voting and dispensing punishment, according to their personal agenda.