What's new

boy does tim tebow suck

Were you trying to be funny? Because you weren't. Or did you seriously miss what he said?

There's nothing wrong with looking AT receivers. However, looking at only one is something that even HS quarterbacks need to avoid. In a passing offense, there's a thing called a progression. If a quarterback doesn't follow his progression he becomes an interception machine. EVERY successful pro quarter learns to read defenses and follow his progression.
Who's a progression?
Kyle Orton locked onto his receivers bad early last year, but as he got more comfortable with the new offense he was learning he began to go through his progressions better. You just said for yourself that they LEARN to follow their progressions. He's played in 1 quarter of a preseason game and people think he's as good as he is gonna get.

So if Tebow was a member of the Nazi party and went to KKK rallies on the weekend and picketed dead soldiers' funerals because Americans love gays you'd hate his guts but would cheer him on because he led your beloved horses to a Super Bowl victory?!?

Pretty much. At least he wouldn't be doing commercials for Focus on the Family.

tebow didnt even run his progressions properly in college...i dont see how he will ever do that in the nfl.

for somebody who is always bragging about his iron will and how hard he works...he never seemed to get better (in fact he got worse as his career progressed) spend that much time breaking down film...

TebowPost_medium.png

his college offense was not that complicated...and he didn't exactly execute the way it was designed. He got the job done...but a lot of that had to do with the overwhelming talent around him.

Remember Brian Billick breaking down his performance against the bearcats? Billick thought tebow looked bad during what was the best performance of tebows career.
https://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footb...-offers-substantive-critique?urn=ncaaf-211889

Tim Tebow is the Hopper of nfl quarterbacks: obnoxious, dumb, and ineffective.

Last edited:
Ineffective? He was anything but in college, and we haven't even seen him play in the NFL yet.

Bashing on Tebow when he was maybe the most successful college QB ever seems stupid. You say he did not go through his progressions but his coach loved him. A good coach at that. He ran their offense very well.

In the pro's he's got a ways to go. But I was encouraged by the way he played in his 1st experience. I think he made some plays in that game. However he is simply not ready. That is the main reason the Broncos gave Orton the contract extension.

Who's a progression?
Kyle Orton locked onto his receivers bad early last year, but as he got more comfortable with the new offense he was learning he began to go through his progressions better. You just said for yourself that they LEARN to follow their progressions. He's played in 1 quarter of a preseason game and people think he's as good as he is gonna get.

I wasn't referring to anyone as a progression. It's called a progression, it's built into the passing offense.

Yes, he does need to learn to follow his progressions. But as I explained in my other post, changing old habits and learning to follow a progression doesn't come overnight. For Tebow, I think it's far too late. Should have learned to do this back in HS.

Really? Is Kyle Orton your best example? First off, his college ran an offense far similar to pro offenses than Tebow's.

If Orton is what Tebow aspires to be, then he's in big trouble. He's about as bad (in the nfl) as most of us believe.

Last edited:
Bashing on Tebow when he was maybe the most successful college QB ever seems stupid. You say he did not go through his progressions but his coach loved him. A good coach at that. He ran their offense very well.

In the pro's he's got a ways to go. But I was encouraged by the way he played in his 1st experience. I think he made some plays in that game. However he is simply not ready. That is the main reason the Broncos gave Orton the contract extension.

No one is bashing him because he sucks. He's a hell of a college player. But that doesn't translate into NFL success.

His style of play and inability to read defenses and pass out of the pocket doesn't translate well to the NFL. Though he may be a heck of a Football player, I doubt he will have much success in the NFL.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to anyone as a progression. It's called a progression, it's built into the passing offense.

Yes, he does need to learn to follow his progressions. But as I explained in my other post, changing old habits and learning to follow a progression doesn't come overnight. For Tebow, I think it's far too late. Should have learned to do this back in HS.

Really? Is Kyle Orton your best example? First off, his college ran an offense far similar to pro offenses than Tebow's.

If Orton is what Tebow aspires to be, then he's in big trouble. He's about as bad (in the nfl) as most of us believe.
I'm still not sure if a progression is a person, thing, or place.

Pretty much every rookie QB struggles with locking on to one WR and going through their progressions. You think Sam Bradford was reading defense last year? No, he looked to the sidelines before every snap and had his coaches tell him what to run and where to go with the ball. I'd love to see a college QB that can read NFL defenses at a high level before playing a single game against NFL competition.

I used Kyle Orton because he is a veteran that is regarded as a smart player with limited physical gifts and he runs the same offense that Tebow will be running. He struggled running McDaniels' offense for much of last season and he has a bunch of NFL experience. In just a couple of preseason appearances this year you can tell that he is not staring down receivers as much as he did last year and not locking on to one target...and again, he is an NFL veteran regarded as a smart QB. And I don't care what you think of Orton, but his numbers last year speak for themselves...62%, 3802 yards, 21 TD, 12, INT. You call that terrible?

Also, you say he can't be a pocket passer? He was in the top 5 of passing efficiency all 3 years as a starter in college, hardly threw any INT's, and has good accuracy on the deep ball. We shall see.

Adam Morrison was anything but ineffective at the college level. How's his NBA career?
Way to bash my example of Kyle Orton, an NFL player for the Denver Broncos, and then use an NBA player as an example of why he will fail.

I don't give a **** what he believes as long he helps my team win football games and isn't a murderer or rapist...and I am extremely pro-choice. I bet there are a bunch of players in the NFL that are firmly against abortion, but they don't have the platform that Tebow does to get their beliefs out there.

Evidently YB has absolutely no qualms then.

Many rookies also come from passing offenses or pro-style attacks. Tebow didn't come from that. He came from a shotgun spread team that ran the ball a lot, which is currently the new version of the option. It's the best offense for running the ball right now as it spreads the field out and kicks defensive players out to the perimeter. It allows RBs and running QBs running lanes that they wouldn't otherwise have in more traditional option/running offenses. So just his college background is a knock against him.

If it's a "rookie" thing then he's got to overcome that. Many rookie QBs never end up doing this too. The NFL QB position is probably the toughest position in all of sports.

However, if one is to be successful in this league one needs to learn to understand defenses and follow a progression, no matter what the age or experience is.

I'm not sure that he can or will do that. It's real tough to change old habits.

He certainly didn't demonstrate to me that he could, even at the college level. Some of you act like his bad throwing mechanics are the only knocks against him. His ability to read defenses is horrid. He no longer doesn't have the best and fastest talent around him anymore. And at this level, he won't be a one show pony able to run all over the place out of the shotgun spread.

Pocket passers who manipulate defenses and follow their progressions win in the NFL (Brett Farve, Mannings, Brees, Rivers, Brady, Aikman, Montana, etc) . These "hybrid" running and passing QBs (Alex Smith, Vince Young, Mike Vick, etc) haven't been very successful nor will they ever be with the athletic defenses the NFL has.

I'll be very surprised if Tebow is ever more than a backup QB in this league. Great college player, but just not cut out for the League.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, both, or neither. All I'm saying is a lot of rookie QB don't read the defense and just stare down a WR and throw. Maybe he'll learn, maybe he won't. But not being good at it (progression) as a rookie does not doom him to never being a good NFL QB.

I'm no Tebow fan, but I could see him being very useful as the backup QB running variations of the wildcat at strategic points. I have my doubts about him ever being a starting NFL QB because I don't think he has the ability to ever be effective in 3 and 5 step drops. He's a classic spread QB. And it's very rare that pro teams run a lot of spread. Some to mix it up, but not as a base offense. But I'm curious if Denver has some long range ideas. Their coach is a pretty creative guy.