What's new

Boy Scouts tell gay leader to take a hike

Would it bother you if your son's scout leader was gay?

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
For those that think the comparison between a babysitter and scout leader is absurd I challenge you to take a dozen 12 year olds camping for a week with just yourself and your assistant. Between rolling boulders down mountain sides, playing in the fire and leaving out food on purpose to see if a bear comes around you'll understand the true meaning of babysitting...

I'm sure you do think think that. Possibly, your bigotry is so deep and well-established that you are beyond reason or reassurance.

If you really don't understand why being a Scout leader is different from being a babysitter in important ways, there is little to be said that will enlighten you.

Wow, Big Fundy, I'm impressed! You managed to squeeze every known logical fallacy into two short sentences. You're really good at it. Then again, what else would we expect from a self-religion fundamentalist?

How is something that is not a choice a moral issue? Unless of course some of you pious idiots think it is, at which point I would be very curious when you made that paramount decision in your own lives.

I appreciate your retraction of your pious idiots comment. You're right it didn't help your argument. Im not here argue at all any way just stating what I believe. I agree that lots of people are born with tendencies of same sex attraction, many are not and choose it because society is becoming more accepting of homosexuality. Still doesn't make it morally correct in my mind. (I don't approve of many of the things my close friends have chosen to do and continue to do, in my mind thats irrelavent as far as friendships are concerned.) Just as some are born with tendencies toward other things that may not be morally acceptable, I'm not going to bring them into this conversation as I don't want to get off track. The point is yes I believe some individuals are born with the attraction, I do believe we all still have a choice though. I believe in the principles the BSA teaches boys and a gay leader is contrary to the scout oath. Let me say again I have ZERO issues with my sons teacher being gay and my daughters teacher being lesbian. Oh and by the way thanks again for the link for the jazz games on line, are you a league pass subscriber by chance?

And you have obviously never been a scout master or been on a scout camping trip.

I was, as a scout. For the purposes of *this* discussion, it was nothing like having a baby-sitter: we were not in a private area, I was not alone with either gentleman for extensive periods of time.

For those that think the comparison between a babysitter and scout leader is absurd I challenge you to take a dozen 12 year olds camping for a week with just yourself and your assistant. Between rolling boulders down mountain sides, playing in the fire and leaving out food on purpose to see if a bear comes around you'll understand the true meaning of babysitting...

In those regards, I acknowledge the similarity. You forgot the kids wandering off, though.

Wow, Big Fundy, I'm impressed! You managed to squeeze every known logical fallacy into two short sentences. You're really good at it. Then again, what else would we expect from a self-religion fundamentalist?

Hey little troll. Thanks for the compliment.

Free markets are amazing things.

If people don't like this, then don't support the scouts!

It really is that simple. The scouts have a right to run their operation the way they see fit. IF you find it unfair, then take your kid out of scouts and make your own homosexual scouting program. Who knows! Maybe your homo scout program will put the unfair scout program out of business!

Crazy things these free markets are!

I said what I did because my scout master literally told my scout troop he wasn't my baby sitter a thousand times. They are like a baby sitter, but in many ways, their responsibility is much greater. :D

Free markets are amazing things.

If people don't like this, then don't support the scouts!

It really is that simple. The scouts have a right to run their operation the way they see fit. IF you find it unfair, then take your kid out of scouts and make your own homosexual scouting program. Who knows! Maybe your homo scout program will put the unfair scout program out of business!

Crazy things these free markets are!

I agree, as long as the current Boy Scouts don't benefit from the government favors (like ultra-cheap rates for Jamboree grounds).

This was a huge issue in our community about 10 years back. If I recall correctly, the BSA pulled the charter for one of our troops because leaders of the troop refused to sign some anti-homosexuality pledge that the BSA required.

Nobody associated with the troop was a homosexual - but on the general principle that they were operating in an environment of non-discrimination based on race, religion, sexual orientation etc. the leaders refused to sign whatever it was that the BSA organization wanted them to sign. The local BSA hierarchy was going to let it go, but whatever the next levels up the chain of command were not willing to do so.

The bottom line is that the Boy Scouts got kicked out of our schools, because the schools all had adopted the non-discrimination policy. It was quite contentious, as you can imagine, but things worked out more or less OK because several local churches became the sponsoring groups for the various troops. So none of the troops actually folded or anything, and most found homes in churches within the same neighborhood.

And One Brow, maybe where you live you get young teen and pre-teen babysitters, but I know plenty of college age and older folks (young women as well as men) who babysit, both on a full-time and part-time basis.

And One Brow, maybe where you live you get young teen and pre-teen babysitters, but I know plenty of college age and older folks (young women as well as men) who babysit, both on a full-time and part-time basis.

I've taken kids to people's homes where they had a large number of children to sit. Is that what you mean? I would call that "day-care".

I've taken kids to people's homes where they had a large number of children to sit. Is that what you mean? I would call that "day-care".

No, not at all. I know at least a dozen young adults, friends of my own kids or neighbors' kids, ages 20 - 28 who babysit - a couple of them have full-time nanny jobs and the others once or twice a week, either because they are students, or work part-time or at relatively low-paying entry level jobs and they like the extra money.

Think of me as you will, but I don't trust full-grown men who go out of their way to spend a lot of time around children. I just don't. My opinion of women who want to spend a lot of time around children is different, but I still wonder what is wrong with them.

I think what he's trying to say is, "The fact that Trout teaches the 9 year old primary class every other Sunday is a bit disturbing.", which I agree with heartily.

I think what he's trying to say is, "The fact that Trout teaches the 9 year old primary class every other Sunday is a bit disturbing.", which I agree with heartily.

Please tell me they don't actually force those poor 9 year olds into dealing with you twice a month.

what a compliment to your parents!

and grandparents!

and teachers!

I should have said grow-ups who go out of their way to spend a lot of time around other people's children. Coaching little league or teaching Sunday school doesn't raise too many red flags, but a man who gets a teaching degree and then wants to teach kindergarten makes me wonder if something's up. A father that volunteers with his child's boy scout troop to take them camping isn't too worrisome, but a 27 year old single guy who seeks to participate in boy scout leadership would make me very nervous.

I know very few grown men who really want to be around other people's kids if they don't have to. If your own child is involved then you might feel like it's better for you to be in charge of them to make sure some other weird guy isn't around your kid.

Well said, fellas. My work here is done. Please don't procreate, One Brow.