What's new

Boy Scouts tell gay leader to take a hike

Would it bother you if your son's scout leader was gay?

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
If I read this right, and I apologize if I didn't, some of you guys would be ok having your 9-year-old son babysat by a gay guy? Or to put it another way you'd be ok having your 9-year-old girl babysat by a straight man?

Yeah, I know. They teach stupid outdated stuff like being trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. Stuff that our society has deemed unnecessary a long time ago. Just ask any politician (either side of the aisle).

The Girl Scouts teach those same values while still allowing gay adn non-religious members. ONe has nothing to do with the other.

If I read this right, and I apologize if I didn't, some of you guys would be ok having your 9-year-old son babysat by a gay guy? Or to put it another way you'd be ok having your 9-year-old girl babysat by a straight man?

You're always taking a risk with any babysitter, but pedophiles are rare. Then again, so are adult babysitters.

Update: Every dude wants to **** everything all of the time. The only thing that dissuades a dude is gender!!! SO OBVIOUSLY!!!

No one should ever get a random baby-siter. You should always get someone you know and trust, or a reference from a trusted person. If that person you know happens to me male,female,lesbian,gay, or whatever. it shouldnt matter. The only thing that matters is if you trust the person with your kid.

And Boy Scouts if lame as hell, Im sorry if I offend some of yall.

So is that a yes or a no or a wuss out?

More of a comment that this question is not really relevant to the discussion. To answer the question would require some knowledge of why I hired an adult babysitter, as opposed to the usual pre/early teen version.

Boy Scout leaders are not babysitters. They don't see the kids in a private location, and don't spend large amounts of individual time with the kis in the course of their duties. So, I don't see the relevance your question has to this situation.

I agree that, as a private club, Scouts can reject anyone they choose. The consequence of being a private club (as opposed to a public accomodation) means that they don't get special government considerations.

slide_12082_161859_large.jpg

I voted yes. I don't have an issue with my kids being around gay people. Our family is very closely associated with gay people. My nine year old twins both have gay elementary school teachers. One is gay and one is lesbian, they are great teachers, also my sister is lesbian. The problem I have is not that I think my son would be more likely to be molested at his scout camps by a gay man over a straight man, it is that I a hard with time with my son, being associated with a program that as part of its oath promises to be morally straight. Like I said we have plenty of homosexuals in our lives I like many of them, I still believe that it is a moral issue.

How is something that is not a choice a moral issue? Unless of course some of you pious idiots think it is, at which point I would be very curious when you made that paramount decision in your own lives.

"Pious idiots" is a strong term and probably not helping my point, but it applies. Just calling a spade a spade if the description applies.

No one should ever get a random baby-siter. You should always get someone you know and trust, or a reference from a trusted person. If that person you know happens to me male,female,lesbian,gay, or whatever. it shouldnt matter. The only thing that matters is if you trust the person with your kid.

And Boy Scouts if lame as hell, Im sorry if I offend some of yall.
I don't know where you guys are getting the random part from. Whatever. I think you're fooling yourself if you say it wouldn't bother you to have a gay guy going on campouts with your 9-year-old son.

More of a comment that this question is not really relevant to the discussion. To answer the question would require some knowledge of why I hired an adult babysitter, as opposed to the usual pre/early teen version.

Boy Scout leaders are not babysitters. They don't see the kids in a private location, and don't spend large amounts of individual time with the kis in the course of their duties. So, I don't see the relevance your question has to this situation.

I agree that, as a private club, Scouts can reject anyone they choose. The consequence of being a private club (as opposed to a public accomodation) means that they don't get special government considerations.
K I'm gonna go with wuss out. Par for the course for you.

I don't know where you guys are getting the random part from. Whatever. I think you're fooling yourself if you say it wouldn't bother you to have a gay guy going on campouts with your 9-year-old son.

I'm sure you do think think that. Possibly, your bigotry is so deep and well-established that you are beyond reason or reassurance.

K I'm gonna go with wuss out. Par for the course for you.

If you really don't understand why being a Scout leader is different from being a babysitter in important ways, there is little to be said that will enlighten you.

If you really don't understand why being a Scout leader is different from being a babysitter in important ways, there is little to be said that will enlighten you.

And you have obviously never been a scout master or been on a scout camping trip.