What's new

Brad Stevens: "DAMN, their defense is good."

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
If we are to retain Hayward in 2 years when he can opt out, I think we need to start competing NOW. That's not to say I think we can/will win a championship. Gobert is just a pup. Favors can still get better, etc. But even to make the playoffs, the Jazz have to get a LOT better. And that means letting Exum develop as a backup and in practice, just like Stockton did. We need our Ricky Green, who was a damn good PG (former all-star) to guide the team until Dante grows a pair and is ready to use them. And heaven forbid if that NEVER happens. There is STILL a HIGH bust potential with Dante. Or he becomes a guy like Marvin Williams: a player with marvelous athletic skills and a pretty good defender, but never a stud. Was always a very good teammate, never caused problems, but just never had that killer attitude/hunger to get to the next level. Right now - and I hope I'm wrong - I see that trajectory for Dante.

Well the first step towards that is DL singing someone with the money he saved in the Kanter trade. Get a shooter that doesn't need to "develop". Get one that is ready to go.

Then mix in a healthy Burks and improvement to the players under contract and I think the Jazz will be a lot better.

Jazz are already a lot better. At the pace after the 6-19 start for the season the Jazz would have around 34-37 wins right now. A record of 37-24 would place the Jazz in 8th and only a 1/2 game out of 7th.

So DL MUST get a shooter, return with a healthy Burks and push the team hard to improve this offseason.

I listened to the Celtics broadcast because that was the only illegal steam I could find :3 I lol'd when I heard Brian Scalibrene say "The Jazz are one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA" then their sideline reporter after the next break said that the Jazz were the best defensive team in the NBA in the last 10 games.

Yeah, remember that. He was really bad. At some point he said that exum was a big 6-4 guard (not big deal) and confused elijah with booker several times. And to him all the calls against them were unfair

Well the first step towards that is DL singing someone with the money he saved in the Kanter trade. Get a shooter that doesn't need to "develop". Get one that is ready to go.

Then mix in a healthy Burks and improvement to the players under contract and I think the Jazz will be a lot better.

Jazz are already a lot better. At the pace after the 6-19 start for the season the Jazz would have around 34-37 wins right now. A record of 37-24 would place the Jazz in 8th and only a 1/2 game out of 7th.

So DL MUST get a shooter, return with a healthy Burks and push the team hard to improve this offseason.

That is a great post. 1/2 game out of 7th. That IS the team they are today. When I think of how much stronger this team will be by next fall, and how much stronger than that they will be by the end of next season, it nearly gives me goosebumps. I want season tickets.

If we are to retain Hayward in 2 years when he can opt out, I think we need to start competing NOW.

This. If we don't start making the playoffs and being contenders there is a very good chance Hayward could be gone in a few years. We need to add talent during the offseason, a couple of veterans (a pg) and a shooter or big man, depending on who we draft. This offseason is very important, it might be the last in which we have both a high lottery pick and tons of cap space (unless DL pulls a Harden type of trade). It's time to accelerate the rebuilding.

Not sure I get your math. We're 18-17 since the 6-19 start. That pace would give us 31 wins right now, which puts us where Phoenix is (they're 32-30). Although the Suns are only 2 1/2 games out of the 8th seed, it's really more, given that OKC has been so injury prone and is now on a tear. More than likely, it will take 47-50 wins to get even the 8th seed in the WC.

Edit: Oh, I think I do see where you made your error. You took 13 wins (assuming a 13-12 record) and added it to our current total. But since we already had 6 (6-19) the number to be added is just the difference, which is 7 additional wins. But basically, we're a .500 team right now. So unless Utah gets moved to the EC, Jazz HAVE to make changes just to have a shot at the 8th seed.

Last edited:
Not sure I get your math. We're 18-17 since the 6-19 start. That pace would give us 31 wins right now, which puts us where Phoenix is (they're 32-30). Although the Suns are only 2 1/2 games out of the 8th seed, it's really more, given that OKC has been so injury prone and is now on a tear. More than likely, it will take 47-50 wins to get even the 8th seed in the WC.

Sorry, was distracted and my math is off. It would be few less wins. But that still places the Jazz firmly in the playoff hunt and fighting for the 8th seed with they way they are playing now.

Add to that the hopeful improvements...

Just what ifing

Right now it's a case of ****ty teams getting up to play the Jazz and the Jazz getting up to play good teams. But you need to factor in that the Jazz have recently beaten the # 1,3,7,10,11,13,14 rated teams in the current power rankings; and beaten most of them convincingly. That skews the impression of their record since going 6-19 to start.

5-2, very close to 6-1 or even 7-0, since Kanter got traded. I would like to think that is more indicative of our potential. There is no reason to think the defense will drop at all next year.

That was a great defensive game. Watching Crowder play D was fun and the Jazz as a whole played great D. I'm usually not one for defensive games but these teams were both on point last night.

Actually a very fun game to watch. I hated that we lost, but the D was there and the O will come with time.

The biggest problem with taking where we are to going to the playoffs is that I feel the loss of Dfav, Gobert or Hayward would devastate our chances. Like OKC, only if we lost 2 of those guys we would really be without a paddle. Hopefully other players can emerge next season. I hate needing everything to go perfect.

The biggest problem with taking where we are to going to the playoffs is that I feel the loss of Dfav, Gobert or Hayward would devastate our chances. Like OKC, only if we lost 2 of those guys we would really be without a paddle. Hopefully other players can emerge next season. I hate needing everything to go perfect.

I think Burks and Hood will step up and that Gobert will improve to be about a 12-14 ppg scorer.

Most vulnerable at the 4/5. TBH, I think Utah could better absorb the loss of Hayward out of those three once Burks is back and if they get another good wing. Kanter leaving was a huge loss since we essentially had three starters. IMO, Jazz need to add a couple of bigs in the off-season: a banger to back up Gobert and a stretch-4 for when we need the offense. I'm still "meh" on Booker. Love his intensity, but think an outside shooter better complements Gobert and Favors.