What's new

Brew Day V2.0

Oats do not lead to "contamination" in beer. Oats are used frequently in beer, especially porters and stouts. They create a distinctive mouth-feel that some people describe as being slick on the tongue. I'm not sure what it is about the manufacturing process that would cause perfectly harmless oats to contaminate a beer, but if that's a concern, buy your oats from a brew supply store. I'm sure their supply will be beer friendly.

I think he is talking about the processing of oats contaminating the oats themselves, which could in theory translate to the beer. I don't think he is saying that if you use oats in beer they automatically contaminate the beer.

Revers Osmosis system scheduled for delivery today!

This is a big step in my brewing process. Will now be able to start from essentially a blank slate and build a water profile appropriate for the kind of beer I'm brewing. Lot's and lot's to learn. I don't have a background in chemistry so a lot of the language involved is new. Many of my tried and true recipes will have to be adjusted. But this is another step up in the level of control I have over the finished product.

The evolution of beer styles particular to certain regions is largely based on seasonal changes and the local water supply. Over time brewers found styles that worked with the water they had available (porters in London, IPA in Burton, pilsner in Czechoslovakia, light lagers in Germany, Vienna lager in Vienna). Nowadays we can essentially build custom water profiles to make those beer styles true to form wherever we are, either with distilled water or with RO water.

Revers Osmosis system scheduled for delivery today!

This is a big step in my brewing process. Will now be able to start from essentially a blank slate and build a water profile appropriate for the kind of beer I'm brewing. Lot's and lot's to learn. I don't have a background in chemistry so a lot of the language involved is new. Many of my tried and true recipes will have to be adjusted. But this is another step up in the level of control I have over the finished product.

The evolution of beer styles particular to certain regions is largely based on seasonal changes and the local water supply. Over time brewers found styles that worked with the water they had available (porters in London, IPA in Burton, pilsner in Czechoslovakia, light lagers in Germany, Vienna lager in Vienna). Nowadays we can essentially build custom water profiles to make those beer styles true to form wherever we are, either with distilled water or with RO water.

Wait to try this **** til after I come out.

Wait to try this **** til after I come out.
I won't be able to make a batch using this until the weekend of the 15th at the earliest.

But I have two batches I'll be kegging middle of next week that will be ready to go

I haven't set up my RO system yet.

I'm reading "Water: A Comprohensive Guide for Brewers" by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski which I want to finish before I delve into water adjustments. But I'm about 30% done with it and with a little supplemental internet research I think I know what I need to do to get started. While it's pretty ****ing complex, my job as a brewer and the variation from one brew to the next is not particularly complex. I think I'm going to enjoy this new set of levers that I can pull to get my beers exactly where I want them.

I'm also ready, I think, to hit lagers hard. At least I plan to make an aggressive strafing run at them to see what water adjustments can really do for me in that regard.

So I have a few beers under my belt using RO water. Comparing side by side to the same beer made without RO water, the RO beers are cleaner and smoother. The hops bitterness is more noticeable. Other than that, not a big difference. No need for wholesale changes to recipes to accommodate. Minor tweaks to IBUs (international bitterness units) if desired. This actually solves one of the problems I've had on my score sheets with my #1 beer with judges wanting it to be a little more bitter. No need to add more hops now.

My sister is flying out for the judging of the Beehive Brew Off this year to help steward with me.

If anyone else is interested let me know or just show up at the Bayou the morning of judging.

Last weekend I went to the beer festival at Snowbird. Pretty big disappointment, really. I'm convinced the best beer festival in Utah is the secret one the stewards have during the judging of the Beehive Brew Off. It's more like a real beer festival than anything the law allows in Utah. And it's completely free.

My sister is flying out for the judging of the Beehive Brew Off this year to help steward with me.

If anyone else is interested let me know or just show up at the Bayou the morning of judging.

Last weekend I went to the beer festival at Snowbird. Pretty big disappointment, really. I'm convinced the best beer festival in Utah is the secret one the stewards have during the judging of the Beehive Brew Off. It's more like a real beer festival than anything the law allows in Utah. And it's completely free.

I definitely want to help out again. Do you have the information for it? The owners told me I could judge this year since I was a solid steward and I would like to try for that. If not ill happily steward again.

That experience blew all the beer festivals in Utah out of the water for me.

Is your wife or sister named Anita by any chance? Or a daughter?
Might be a good name for your next signature brew - Anita Beer.

and here's a song (in case you missed it in the other thread)

Bottoms Up! And Cheers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0SuN4bn1w

Headed to Evanston Wy July 22nd for their 9th annual Brew Fest. I'm done with Utah beer fests until they either change the laws so it isn't pay per sample or the organizers stop with the tired pricing. I understand the law requires you charge per sample, but I don't see why that means I have to pay $3-$4 for a 4oz beer sample that is over 4%abv. Charge more at the door and charge one token per 4oz sample. Easy.

Sounds like the Evanston beer fest is a pretty good one and we're gonna stay the night then hit the Wyoming Downs horse races the next day.

Headed to Evanston Wy July 22nd for their 9th annual Brew Fest. I'm done with Utah beer fests until they either change the laws so it isn't pay per sample or the organizers stop with the tired pricing. I understand the law requires you charge per sample, but I don't see why that means I have to pay $3-$4 for a 4oz beer sample that is over 4%abv. Charge more at the door and charge one token per 4oz sample. Easy.

Sounds like the Evanston beer fest is a pretty good one and we're gonna stay the night then hit the Wyoming Downs horse races the next day.

oh snap, I saw Evanston and thought you were headed out this way - didn't know there was another one in Wyoming!

oh snap, I saw Evanston and thought you were headed out this way - didn't know there was another one in Wyoming!

It's 2hrs away from SLC. It is commonly used by Utahns to buy beer and alcohol outside of Utailiban control.

It's 2hrs away from SLC. It is commonly used by Utahns to buy beer and alcohol outside of Utailiban control.

3416931.jpg
9e0e0cfba8a58b0c3d50cdbd13805e5d

Kind of ironic, because Evanston, IL has been the national headquarters of the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) for about 100 years or so and Evanston itself was dry until sometime in the 1970's. On the plus side, the WCTU was quite active in the women's suffrage movement in the early 20th century.

I still really enjoyed this years Beer fest in SLC but I understand this sentiment. Although I always volunteer for Beer fest here since it is a huge fund raiser for the humane society. It is one of the reasons why they are a no kill shelter in SLC and even take in dogs that are going to be put down in other states and rehabilitate them and get them adopted. It also means the beer fest is free for me and then get free leftover beers!

I cant wait until we can change a few laws in Utah. Although I am not sure why SLC beerfest does not make it a private event that you pay to get into with free booze. It is an easy loop hole that many places and events do to get around the laws. That would make the lines much shorter.

This years beer fest will be 2 days though, hopefully that cuts the lines down a bit.

I still really enjoyed this years Beer fest in SLC but I understand this sentiment. Although I always volunteer for Beer fest here since it is a huge fund raiser for the humane society. It is one of the reasons why they are a no kill shelter in SLC and even take in dogs that are going to be put down in other states and rehabilitate them and get them adopted. It also means the beer fest is free for me and then get free leftover beers!

I cant wait until we can change a few laws in Utah. Although I am not sure why SLC beerfest does not make it a private event that you pay to get into with free booze. It is an easy loop hole that many places and events do to get around the laws. That would make the lines much shorter.

This years beer fest will be 2 days though, hopefully that cuts the lines down a bit.
I enjoyed it, too. My SIL is going so now I'm going. I'm going to the Saturday one.

The tiered pricing just bugs me.

Sent from my SM-J700P using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm convinced the best beer festival in Utah is the secret one the stewards have during the judging of the Beehive Brew Off. It's more like a real beer festival than anything the law allows in Utah. And it's completely free.

Oh man I was just at the Bayou last night and talking to them about the Beehive Brew off and realized its the first day of Burning Man this year. I am guessing they moved it a week back so they would not conflict with SLC beerfest. I am on the fence about going to Burning man so I can really sign up with them to judge this year. I guess if I am in town ill just come over and be a steward and if not I wont and they wont care. Hopefully next year I can judge. I keep meaning to get a license to be a judge because I guess a lot of the beer fests seek out judges to come to their festivals.

Oh man I was just at the Bayou last night and talking to them about the Beehive Brew off and realized its the first day of Burning Man this year. I am guessing they moved it a week back so they would not conflict with SLC beerfest. I am on the fence about going to Burning man so I can really sign up with them to judge this year. I guess if I am in town ill just come over and be a steward and if not I wont and they wont care. Hopefully next year I can judge. I keep meaning to get a license to be a judge because I guess a lot of the beer fests seek out judges to come to their festivals.
Yeah they flipped weekends. Last year it was brew off around the 20th and beer fest the following weekend.

Three years ago they were originally scheduled for the same weekend and then the brew off moved so they wouldn't conflict.

Yeah tons of opportunity to travel to regional beer comps, including commercial brewery comps. They usually hook you up with some sort of schwag.

Sent from my SM-J700P using JazzFanz mobile app

I really considered judging but I honestly don't think I'd be a very good judge. Plus, judging seems like a hell of a chore.

I don't have a sensitive palate. In particular I am absolutely not sensitive to bitterness. There is no amount of bitterness in beer that I find even slightly strong and certainly not offensive. I don't have very good "resolution" for specific flavors. I know what I enjoy and I've been good at looking at the numbers and keeping my beers where they should be flavor-wise, but I'd guess I'm a below average taster in general and compared to most qualified beer judges I'm probably pretty pathetic.