What's new

Brew Day V2.0

May I please have as many different beers as possible sent to me again? Funding should be assumed.

Also, how the **** does Stifle Tower have a beer named after him but not Wes? Just sayin'. A Wes beer would have to be crazy, like 11's ABV, to be fitting.

Okay, I hate my post below but it is what it is. Stuff I don't want to say because I feel like a jackass for saying it, but I have to say it. I wrote it out and considered just deleting it but decided I'd just put in this disclaimer and stick the post in a spoiler box.

The beer is named after Rudy Gobert. Stifle Tower (the poster) just gave me the idea.

And like I said about UGLI Baby, I loved Hot Rod, that beer honors him. The name absolutely WAS inspired by UGLI Baby (the poster) as he told me that Hop Rising had "ruined" other beers for him, which included YES, so I was intent on providing an equivalent beer. I think I actually came pretty close. UGLI Baby isn't the best beer, but it's good and although not really a clone of Hop Rising, I think it's in the same ballpark.

As for sending beers, I don't mean to be an ***, but it's rough. I drink the beer I make. Like all of it, relatively quickly. It's crazy to me that VO has beer that's about 150 gallons of beer ago. I love to share. It's rewarding for me. But I owe some of my current batch to a guy at work because I bet him that the Jazz would finish within 10 games of where the Spurs finish. I'm also planning to have that beer and the one I brewed today (and very slightly possibly a beer I'm going to brew next weekend) for a poker game I want to host mid-April. Then there's the fact that I feel like I should send Moe some beer because I haven't and she's always shown interest. So, long story short, you're on the list, but you're not at the top of the list right now.

And I can't stress enough... I'm happy to share my beer. Giving out beer in exchange for money is NOT rewarding. There is no way anyone would be willing to pay me what my beer is worth to me. I'd much rather just drink my own beer than to pay $3/bottle at the liquor store. So, there's no way I'd sell my beer that I like better than the $3/bottle liquor store stuff for less than that and feel good about it, because by giving it up I'd be without my beer and would have to buy beer. I'm coming off about three weeks since I haven't had my own beer available. I brewed two weeks ago, I brewed today and I'm going to brew next weekend, which will produce 30 gallons of beer for about 18hrs of work. If host a poker game several gallons will probably be consumed. So I'll be behind and be stuck giving up 5+hours per weekend (I work 12 overtime hours every two or three weekends) to brew enough to keep up.

Okay, I hate my post below but it is what it is. Stuff I don't want to say because I feel like a jackass for saying it, but I have to say it. I wrote it out and considered just deleting it but decided I'd just put in this disclaimer and stick the post in a spoiler box.

The beer is named after Rudy Gobert. Stifle Tower (the poster) just gave me the idea.

And like I said about UGLI Baby, I loved Hot Rod, that beer honors him. The name absolutely WAS inspired by UGLI Baby (the poster) as he told me that Hop Rising had "ruined" other beers for him, which included YES, so I was intent on providing an equivalent beer. I think I actually came pretty close. UGLI Baby isn't the best beer, but it's good and although not really a clone of Hop Rising, I think it's in the same ballpark.

As for sending beers, I don't mean to be an ***, but it's rough. I drink the beer I make. Like all of it, relatively quickly. It's crazy to me that VO has beer that's about 150 gallons of beer ago. I love to share. It's rewarding for me. But I owe some of my current batch to a guy at work because I bet him that the Jazz would finish within 10 games of where the Spurs finish. I'm also planning to have that beer and the one I brewed today (and very slightly possibly a beer I'm going to brew next weekend) for a poker game I want to host mid-April. Then there's the fact that I feel like I should send Moe some beer because I haven't and she's always shown interest. So, long story short, you're on the list, but you're not at the top of the list right now.

And I can't stress enough... I'm happy to share my beer. Giving out beer in exchange for money is NOT rewarding. There is no way anyone would be willing to pay me what my beer is worth to me. I'd much rather just drink my own beer than to pay $3/bottle at the liquor store. So, there's no way I'd sell my beer that I like better than the $3/bottle liquor store stuff for less than that and feel good about it, because by giving it up I'd be without my beer and would have to buy beer. I'm coming off about three weeks since I haven't had my own beer available. I brewed two weeks ago, I brewed today and I'm going to brew next weekend, which will produce 30 gallons of beer for about 18hrs of work. If host a poker game several gallons will probably be consumed BY FISHONJAZZ. So I'll be behind and be stuck giving up 5+hours per weekend (I work 12 overtime hours every two or three weekends) to brew enough to keep up.

fixed

Oh, and Stifle Tower doesn't have a beer named after him anymore, it's Playoff Push -- Rye IPA now.

Oh, and Stifle Tower doesn't have a beer named after him anymore, it's Playoff Push -- Rye IPA now.
Maybe I should come and drink some of that beer at your place for Friday night's jazz game
The weather should even be warm enough for me to ride my bike over

Oh ****, I think GF works Friday evenings

So I can't believe I've never heard of this until now but Wyeast makes a seasonal "Private Collection" yeast called "English Special Bitter" and it's commonly referred to as "Young's yeast." Since my favorite beer that I make, and the one I've won the most awards with is an Extra Special Bitter that I call YES, or Young's Extra Special, I feel like this is a yeast I have to try. It originated from Young's Brewery in the UK as their house strain.

Sounds like a fickle yeast that likes to quit early, so it'll take some special effort, but I need to try.

youngs.png

just heard about this on the radio - - sounds interesting!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/southern-illinois-university-add-major-in-brewing/

You can get a degree in Fermentation Sciences!

An Illinois university has a new accredited degree in fermentation science to train future brewers, distillers and vintners.

The state Board of Higher Education approved Southern Illinois University's new Bachelor of Science degree in March, The Southern Illinoisan reported.

Matt McCarroll, director of the Fermentation Science Institute at the university, said rapid growth in craft brewing has led to demand for trained fermentation scientists and coursework focused on brewing science. While fewer than 100 breweries existed in the U.S. in the mid-1970s, there are more than 4,000 today, he told the newspaper.

https://fermentation.siu.edu/

Made some nice additions to my brew setup recently. I went from an immersion chiller to a counter flow chiller and it has cut my chilling time dramatically. Some people feel like there is a benefit to rapid chilling beyond the time savings, but I don't think it's something that will make an appreciable difference.

I also FINALLY added a drip tray to my kegerator. I've been meaning to put one on since the day I made the thing but I finally got around to doing it. It looks good.

I sampled my most recent batch of YES (Young's Extra Special) today because I'm going out of town and needed to know if it was finished and could begin cold crashing. It was finished! I used what's commonly known as Young's yeast or 1768 English Special Bitter yeast for the first time and I was really amazed at the flavors in my sample. Really good. Tons of English character and a very enjoyable flavor profile. There are always big changes from a warm fermenter sample to a chilled and carbonated sample, but I'm excited. I really hope this is worth of entering as a Strong Bitter for this year's beehive brew off. I plan to harvest some of the yeast from this batch and make an Ordinary Bitter, which I call Worker Bee Bitter to also enter. The 1768 yeast is a special edition yeast and I'm not seeing it around much at this point so I'll need to continue to harvest and propagate it if I want to use it.

I also have an English Porter (Pistol Porter) fermenting now. I'm using 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast for that one. The 1728 yeast is very unique as an ale yeast because it can ferment well below the temps that would put most ale yeast to sleep. I frequently make my scottish ale at 55F fermentation temp. This yeast can also ferment clean well into the 60F range. I consider it almost like an Ale/Lager hybrid yeast, but so versatile that it can be used without temperature control and still taste really good.

Anyway, off to San Diego tomorrow. Haven't been in so long. The last time I was there I was sick the entire time so I consider this my first real trip back since I left the Navy in 2006.

I'm in San Diego right now and just stopped at a bottle shop that has an extensive collection of interesting beers. They also charge a lot for them. But I did but a six pack of Bell's two hearted and I'm excited to try that. They had a twelve pack of Uinta's 801 pilsner for $23! I passed on that one.

Bout to leave the Rythemandblues beer festival. Way different than the salt lake beer fest. Whoa

Just got to say, not having to pay tickets for each sample and not having to have the people open bottles to pour samples made the rythemandbrews festival flow MUCH better than the last Salt Lake City Beer festival. Like I didn't really wait in any lines at all. At most there was someone getting a sample when I walked up. Soo much faster pouring from a faucet than a bottle and not messing around with tickets. We really need to get rid of the 4%abv max on draft beer nonsense. That's always been my most hated Utah beer law quirk because it makes the least sense.

I've made 5 of my planned 9 beers for this year's Beehive Brew Off.

Today I made two beers, my Ordinary Bitter "Worker Bee Bitter" and sort of but not really a new recipe, a Golden Ale. There was thunder and rain while I was brewing it so I'm naming it Stormborn ale. Both are extremely light in color, low in alcohol and should be relatively dry.

My lineup so far is:
Third Cousin -- Scottish Export Ale (4.7%abv)
YES (Young's Extra Special) -- British Strong Bitter (6.6%abv)
Pistol Porter -- British Brown Porter (4.7%abv)
Worker Bee Bitter -- British Ordinary Bitter (3.5%abv)
Stormborn Ale -- British Golden Ale (4.4%abv)

Planned:
Underway IPA -- English IPA (7.5%abv)
Pilgrim's Pride -- British Best Bitter (working title)
Dante's Ale -- Australian Sparkling Ale (working title)
Bounty Hunter -- American IPA/Rye IPA (7.8%abv)

I've made 5 of my planned 9 beers for this year's Beehive Brew Off.

Today I made two beers, my Ordinary Bitter "Worker Bee Bitter" and sort of but not really a new recipe, a Golden Ale. There was thunder and rain while I was brewing it so I'm naming it Stormborn ale. Both are extremely light in color, low in alcohol and should be relatively dry.

My lineup so far is:
Third Cousin -- Scottish Export Ale (4.7%abv)
YES (Young's Extra Special) -- British Strong Bitter (6.6%abv)
Pistol Porter -- British Brown Porter (4.7%abv)
Worker Bee Bitter -- British Ordinary Bitter (3.5%abv)
Stormborn Ale -- British Golden Ale (4.4%abv)

Planned:
Underway IPA -- English IPA (7.5%abv)
Pilgrim's Pride -- British Best Bitter (working title)
Dante's Ale -- Australian Sparkling Ale (working title)
Bounty Hunter -- American IPA/Rye IPA (7.8%abv)

If Utah has the 4% law, how are you able to legally brew beer that's stronger than that?

Also, did you think the $23 for a 12-pack was expensive for the Uinta's?

Utah's law is that alcoholic beverages sold outside the state run liquor stores or bars ,or restaurants with a bar license, must be 4%abv or below (3,2%abw, which is a scale no one anywhere uses). And that no beer anywhere in the state can be served on draft if it is above 4%abv. You can buy beer that is above 4%, but only if it is a bottle or a can.

There is no limit on how strong beer can be other than the limits mentioned above. I have no idea if it is technically illegal for me to keg my beer (no kegs of beer are allowed to be sold in Utah for private use) or to have beer greater than 4%abv on draft at my house, and I have no intention of asking for anyone's permission.

I have never heard of a homebrewer getting in trouble for kegging beer in Utah or for kegging greater than 4%abv beer for private use.

Yeah, I can buy a 12 pack of Uinta beer at the local gas station, where it's usually more expensive, for $18. But when I was in San Diego a 12 pack of Uinta at Clem's Bottle Shop cost $25 or so. I was surprised that beer in San Diego was no cheaper than it was for the same stuff at the state run liquor store, most of the time it was more expensive, even at a grocery store.

Okay, now that the Brew Off is over I'm going to make some pretty major changes to my brewing process. The biggest is that I will start using reverse osmosis water. By doing that I will also have to add back minerals because beer needs certain minerals for a proper mash and a proper fermentation.

The good is that I will have control over my water profile. I will be able to create water like they have in areas where they make the lightest of lagers or water like they use to make porters or IPAs of whatever else. RO water gives you a blank slate and you take it from there to adjust the water for the style of beer you're making. The water profile can either mute or sharpen the hops bitterness. It can make the malt stand out. It can reduce the astringency associated with dark roasted malts.

So this is a big step as far as control over the brewing process is concerned, but it will also have a large learning curve and I'll have to re-learn all my established recipes in relation to my new water profiles.

It's a pretty big step, but it ultimately holds the biggest potential gains left in my brewing process.