What's new

Brew Day V2.0

You're doing it!!!!!

I know, right?

I really didn't expect to be able to do this this year, or next year, or the year after. I had it on my five year plan list.

Can't say enough about how happy I'll be to not have my brew days affected by which way the wind blows. Hard to convey how huge an impact wind is using propane burners outside. I'm done with that and I'm ****ing thrilled. I can't count how many times I've delayed brewing because of wind.

This type of system (essentially a Kal Clone) seems really awesome to use. It takes care of some kettle watching but is not an automated system by any stretch of the imagination. This is a hands on brewer in full control type system. I'm really excited to start using it.

I don't plan to have it in a functional state for the poker game but I think I'll have it set up for demonstration on my upstairs table. Would love to talk about it with anyone interested.

Oh, and I haven't shown the interior wiring because I wanted it to look good but it's a damn mess. Not that it's wired wrong, it's not, but I've seen pictures of pristine wiring and thought I could do that. If I was to build a second unit maybe I could, but this one isn't a showpiece on the inside.

I have a few things I'll no longer be needing with my new brew system.

Probably the most awesome is my trusty mash tun. I've replaced the cooler a few times when they get too beat up and this one is less than a year old and in great shape. The Rubbermaid ones have a tendency to buckle if you put water hotter than 170F in them. This one, an Igloo, doesn't seem like it's going to buckle, but I haven't specifically put 170F+ water in it to find out.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

I also have a 40lb Propane tank and a 30lb propane tank.

To go with the propane tanks I have two bayou classic burners, the KAB4 210,000btu high pressure banjo burner and the SP10 55,000btu jet burner. They are rusty but perfectly functional.

I also have some greenlee punches that I used to modify my kettles. I have a 13/16 (size of the hole it makes) punch and 1 1/4 (again, size of the hole it makes) punch. Used the 1 1/4 twice and the 13/16 nine times.

Already have some of it listed on KSL but it's always nice to help out someone you know or just a fellow jazzfanzer.

If interested PM me and we can talk about prices.

I might be interested in the Greenlee punches. If someone wants them before Saturday, sell them. If not, I'll take a look and we'll talk about it.

I know, right?

I really didn't expect to be able to do this this year, or next year, or the year after. I had it on my five year plan list.

Can't say enough about how happy I'll be to not have my brew days affected by which way the wind blows. Hard to convey how huge an impact wind is using propane burners outside. I'm done with that and I'm ****ing thrilled. I can't count how many times I've delayed brewing because of wind.

This type of system (essentially a Kal Clone) seems really awesome to use. It takes care of some kettle watching but is not an automated system by any stretch of the imagination. This is a hands on brewer in full control type system. I'm really excited to start using it.

I don't plan to have it in a functional state for the poker game but I think I'll have it set up for demonstration on my upstairs table. Would love to talk about it with anyone interested.

I'm trying my damnedest to come. If I do we'll nerd out for sure.

If?

You're killing me.

But I hope you can make it.

This is a weird post for this thread but I've run across this add sooo much lately. Yeah my search history and the sad fact "they" know more about me than I know about myself.

MLV2B2HWLFGTNIYS3BA4ZU.jpg

I am a happy person today!

I finally cleaned out the portion of my garage I needed for my new brewery and got everything set up for an initial water/stress test.

Glad to report, no arcing, sparking, fires, breaker trips, or other issues. Everything worked the way it was supposed to work. I have prepared myself for setbacks and difficulties but have been fortunate enough to not have any so far.

I am instantly in love with my new system. It was hard letting go of my old system but before I've even made beer with my new system I know I like it better and will love it long time harder and stronger.

Ahh man. I'm a happy guy tonight.

Made some sous vide tonight.

NY Strip Steaks and Broccoli

I'd heard ridiculously good things about sous vide cooking. My steak wasn't light years better than any other steak I've eaten but it was cooked perfectly and there was far less overcooked meat on the edges while being exactly right in the center. I will certainly do this again. My next adventure in sous vide will be a boston butt that will become pulled pork.

It was nice being able to cook the steaks at 130F in one vessel and the broccoli at 183 in another.

Made some sous vide tonight.

NY Strip Steaks and Broccoli

I'd heard ridiculously good things about sous vide cooking. My steak wasn't light years better than any other steak I've eaten but it was cooked perfectly and there was far less overcooked meat on the edges while being exactly right in the center. I will certainly do this again. My next adventure in sous vide will be a boston butt that will become pulled pork.

It was nice being able to cook the steaks at 130F in one vessel and the broccoli at 183 in another.

That is a pretty cool side benefit. I get the same results on charcoal for steaks, with a hot side and cold side, bringing the steaks up to 120 or so slowly then flash-sear them on the hot side to get them to temp. Perfect char on the outside, done the same all the way through. I have always been interested in sous vide though and am interested to hear more about your experiences. The great thing is you can leave it at that set temp for a long time and it won't overcook the food. Pretty cool stuff.

That is a pretty cool side benefit. I get the same results on charcoal for steaks, with a hot side and cold side, bringing the steaks up to 120 or so slowly then flash-sear them on the hot side to get them to temp. Perfect char on the outside, done the same all the way through. I have always been interested in sous vide though and am interested to hear more about your experiences. The great thing is you can leave it at that set temp for a long time and it won't overcook the food. Pretty cool stuff.

The really nice thing about the sous vide steak was that the sear and overcooked meat was about 0.5mm around the edges and everything else was perfectly medium rare. If there's a thin part and a thick part they are cooked exactly the same. I've generally been happy with steaks however I cook them but I really like thick pork chops and I'm looking forward to cooking some this way. I've been butterflying them in order to get the center cooked but I'd prefer not to.

Then there's big stuff like the boston butt. Guess I'll see how it does with that.

And then of course, it also makes beer :)

I am interested to hear how the pulled pork turns out. The best part of a pulled pork to me is the crust that forms from the rub and hours in a smoker. I can't see how that can be replicated in sous vide, but I have no doubt you can reach the temps necessary to melt all the connective tissue and make it just fall apart (if you are wondering, to me the magic temp is 203...anything between 198 and 203 ends up buttery tender and fantastic).

I am interested to hear how the pulled pork turns out. The best part of a pulled pork to me is the crust that forms from the rub and hours in a smoker. I can't see how that can be replicated in sous vide, but I have no doubt you can reach the temps necessary to melt all the connective tissue and make it just fall apart (if you are wondering, to me the magic temp is 203...anything between 198 and 203 ends up buttery tender and fantastic).

I think I'll broil it after it's done.

Getting the new brewery cranking!

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg