What's new

Brew Day V2.0

That's pretty awesome.

The really nice thing about the sous vide steak was that the sear and overcooked meat was about 0.5mm around the edges and everything else was perfectly medium rare. If there's a thin part and a thick part they are cooked exactly the same. I've generally been happy with steaks however I cook them but I really like thick pork chops and I'm looking forward to cooking some this way. I've been butterflying them in order to get the center cooked but I'd prefer not to.

Then there's big stuff like the boston butt. Guess I'll see how it does with that.

And then of course, it also makes beer :)

If the pork shoulder is much bigger than 4 pounds be prepared for a long cook time on the order of 16 hours or more. I have done this on charcoal before, holding the smoker to a steady 215 to get the pork to 203 and it take a very long time. Longer if it is bone-in, but if it isn't bone-in why cook it in the first place? :D

With sous vide out takes 12-50 hrs for a roast like that with a target temp of about 165°f. The goal and the advantage with sous vide is that the temp is the same from the surface tothe center and it's impossible to overcook because the water bath is held at the target temp.

Some of the recipes I'm looking at include a sear some don't.

With sous vide out takes 12-50 hrs for a roast like that with a target temp of about 165°f. The goal and the advantage with sous vide is that the temp is the same from the surface tothe center and it's impossible to overcook because the water bath is held at the target temp.

Some of the recipes I'm looking at include a sear some don't.

Be wary of any recipe for pork butt that doesn't get the meat to at least 180. Collagen won't melt until it hits at least 180 and you have to hold that temp for a long time to get it all to melt and fall apart, which is why smokers go for 225 for the grill temp and 200 or so for the finished meat temp, so they aren't cooking it for 30 hours which can have its own negative impact on the meat. Plus with dry cooking the crust doesn't form properly much lower than 210. Of course in sous vide you don't have to worry about the crust. Post pics when you do that one, I want to see that stuff. That would be so cool.

Yeah I'm curious how it's going to turn out. I've smoked a Boston butt before so this is going to be interesting to compare. I was just reading a few of the recipes a little more closely and they call for cutting the roast into chunks which is not what I was expecting and seems wrong. I guess because it's all in vacuum sealed bags it won't lose moisture but it still seems wrong.

oh snap! sometimes I think maybe I married the wrong guy!!!

well, life is good - but sometimes the grass IS greener in other pastures!

Enjoy it GF, it's well deserved! Congrats and kudos!

oh snap! sometimes I think maybe I married the wrong guy!!!

well, life is good - but sometimes the grass IS greener in other pastures!

Enjoy it GF, it's well deserved! Congrats and kudos!

Dang Moe, you're making me feel all funny inside.

Next up is a batch of UGLI Baby.

I'm looking forward to it. Never made it without having to add some DME to get the gravity right. This batch will be all grain.

I have an absolute **** ton of amarillo hops at my disposal. Many IPAs will be made by me in the coming months. I might even have a go at Pliney The Younger, but I'll have to get hop extract oil to pull that one off.

brewersfriend_infographic_full.jpg

GF, have you thought about driving through the west side of downtown and yelling "I need 2" for your cheap brew labor?

That sounds like a pretty good idea, I'm just afraid I'll run into someone I know.

We're celebrating Chicago Craft Beer week right now! Lot's of local small-craft brews on hand at area pubs. Fun stuff!

I had something called Faux Pas that I really liked, and some others, but this was my favorite.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/598/96527/

Sounds like an interesting beer. I do find it a bit funny they call a 6.5% beer a "session" beer.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/653/

It features citra hops and I'll be making a Rye IPA this weekend using citra hops. Never used citra before, not sure I've even tasted it.