What's new

Burglar Shot Dead

I've heard this so often. It simply isn't true. A .22LR round does not have enough energy to bounce around in your chest cavity and shred you up. It may change direction when it hits bone, but to bounce around would require going through a lot of resistence. The bullet isn't heavy enough and the speed it travels at is not fast enough to make that possible.

The hollow point bullets that are supposed to open up are just marketing hype. Handgun ammo isn't traveling fast enough to actually get much of an effect from hollow point rounds.

Even if it just bounces once, that's a lot of organ/ tissue damage.

There seems to some obvious things left out or not addressed:

1. All bullets should be kept in the upper right hand breast pocket. A true law man or serious gun owner only needs one.

2. Attempting to break in is not breaking in. I would guess the homeowner who shoots while somebody is in process of "trying" to break in vs. somebody that shoots at an intruder that had already entered the premises are two different situations.

3. I like what Viny wrote about thinking it through. Perhaps even go as far as practicing to the point of even waking oneself up at night for a dry run would be a huge advantage.

4. Prodigal Punk is spot on. The instances leading up to eventually having somebody in your sights is mind blowing beyond belief. I have been involved in two situations while in the military. One just seconds away from discharging my weapon, one other prepared but luckily not to the brink. In both situations I was adequately trained, with clear guidelines and rule of engagement. Neither situations involved being startled in the middle of the night from REM sleep. In that situation the heart rate and adrenalin would be seriously off the charts. The average homeowner would have about a zero percent change of reacting rationally under those physical and emotional states. Pretending to be able to assess the intruders intentions and default to the appropriate response is silly.

5. Any would be intruder undertaking such endeavors is taking on extreme risk that the task will end very badly. It is impossible for me to have any sympathy. Having a crappy *** life is no excuse. Many people have crappy lives and stay crime free.

6. They call it deadly force for a reason. If you are going to use karate, rubber bullets, a 9 iron, or arm wrestle the dude for your stereo set, you might as well get a dog. Dogs do strange things to people, especially those doing something they shouldn't be doing. A well trained protection dog would solve many problems in this scenario.

I think this particular home owner was in the wrong. I don't think it's okay to shoot through a screen door at a person you cannot identify. I think yelling "Stop or I'll shoot!" is the least you can do in that situation. Firing rounds blindly into the night is just plain old wrong.

I don't see in the article if the victim shot a single bullet or multiple rounds.

In my opinion, if somebody is trying to break into my house, which actually just happened this last week but I was asleep and didn't hear it, luckily the guy left and our neighbor heard everything, but I would get my gun (shotgun, keep one loaded by my bed), have my roommate call the cops and then get out, tell the robber that if he doesn't stop and doesn't move I'm going to shoot him. Now I'm not going to shoot to kill, I'm going to shoot him in the knee so he can't move and he'll never be able to walk again. Get a job and stop trying to rob hard working people. I pay for this house and I'm going to protect it. With that said, shooting somebody is obviously easier said than done and it's something that I hope I never have to do.

I think this particular home owner was in the wrong. I don't think it's okay to shoot through a screen door at a person you cannot identify. I think yelling "Stop or I'll shoot!" is the least you can do in that situation. Firing rounds blindly into the night is just plain old wrong.

If that's the case, then it certainly wasn't the best decision. I'd be in favor of announcing the intruder has a loaded weapon trained on him if I couldn't discern who the intruder was. The problem, though, is the same as before. I would not feel safe at all until police arrived and canvased the area to make sure the intruder was gone.

I don't see in the article if the victim shot a single bullet or multiple rounds.

I didn't either. Is it okay to shoot one round at an unidentified target but not okay to fire several?

In my opinion, if somebody is trying to break into my house, which actually just happened this last week but I was asleep and didn't hear it, luckily the guy left and our neighbor heard everything, but I would get my gun (shotgun, keep one loaded by my bed), have my roommate call the cops and then get out, tell the robber that if he doesn't stop and doesn't move I'm going to shoot him. Now I'm not going to shoot to kill, I'm going to shoot him in the knee so he can't move and he'll never be able to walk again. Get a job and stop trying to rob hard working people. I pay for this house and I'm going to protect it. With that said, shooting somebody is obviously easier said than done and it's something that I hope I never have to do.

Shooting to debilitate is a poor decision on several levels.

Also, a .22 caliber bullet isn't going to cause much damage. It just isn't. There's a reason law officers don't use it, it's nice for shooting varmints but it isn't going to significantly injure a person. Go with a .40 caliber pistol that doesn't kick that much so you can shoot again quickly if you miss the first time or a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun so you have a wide spread with the pellets minimizing the chance of missing.

I didn't either. Is it okay to shoot one round at an unidentified target but not okay to fire several?

You had made the comment "firing rounds blindly into the night" and I was just curious as to how many he actually squeezed off.

Shooting to debilitate is a poor decision on several levels.

And waiting for the cops to come to my house, I live 30 minutes outside of town btw, is a better decision? If I shoot to scare him away, aka missing on purpose, and he has a weapon I'm screwed. If a person is robbing me, he's a criminal. I have the right to protect my house, family, possessions etc...

And waiting for the cops to come to my house, I live 30 minutes outside of town btw, is a better decision? If I shoot to scare him away, aka missing on purpose, and he has a weapon I'm screwed. If a person is robbing me, he's a criminal. I have the right to protect my house, family, possessions etc...

i think he was leaning the other way...

I'd be willing to bet you're more likely to be arrested for shooting to injure an invader than shooting to kill an invader.

There seems to some obvious things left out or not addressed:

1. All bullets should be kept in the upper right hand breast pocket. A true law man or serious gun owner only needs one.

2. Attempting to break in is not breaking in. I would guess the homeowner who shoots while somebody is in process of "trying" to break in vs. somebody that shoots at an intruder that had already entered the premises are two different situations.

3. I like what Viny wrote about thinking it through. Perhaps even go as far as practicing to the point of even waking oneself up at night for a dry run would be a huge advantage.

4. Prodigal Punk is spot on. The instances leading up to eventually having somebody in your sights is mind blowing beyond belief. I have been involved in two situations while in the military. One just seconds away from discharging my weapon, one other prepared but luckily not to the brink. In both situations I was adequately trained, with clear guidelines and rule of engagement. Neither situations involved being startled in the middle of the night from REM sleep. In that situation the heart rate and adrenalin would be seriously off the charts. The average homeowner would have about a zero percent change of reacting rationally under those physical and emotional states. Pretending to be able to assess the intruders intentions and default to the appropriate response is silly.

5. Any would be intruder undertaking such endeavors is taking on extreme risk that the task will end very badly. It is impossible for me to have any sympathy. Having a crappy *** life is no excuse. Many people have crappy lives and stay crime free.

6. They call it deadly force for a reason. If you are going to use karate, rubber bullets, a 9 iron, or arm wrestle the dude for your stereo set, you might as well get a dog. Dogs do strange things to people, especially those doing something they shouldn't be doing. A well trained protection dog would solve many problems in this scenario.

I like this post here. Very well reasoned.

I disagree with point 1, however. Sometimes one bullet isn't enough.

I'd be willing to bet you're more likely to be arrested for shooting to injure an invader than shooting to kill an invader.

Because the cops are obviously going to know that I was aiming for his knee....it would be pretty hard for them to prove that my intention was to injure and not to kill. Plus I live in Montana, they'd probably give me a medal.

Plus I live in Montana, they'd probably give me a medal.

They'd probably wonder why you're such a bad shot, and then maybe they'd think you're not such a bad shot and thus aimed at the knee. Then they'd wonder if you were really in that much distress and needed to pull the trigger.

Basically, from what I've learned from various places, if you're willing to pull the trigger on a firearm, you shoot to kill, never to injure.