What's new

Burke for Lawson: Would ya?

I could let one DUI go. I could let badmouthing Utah go. But a 2nd DUI just just too much of a red flag for me.

Pass.

I could let one DUI go. I could let badmouthing Utah go. But a 2nd DUI just just too much of a red flag for me.

Pass.
In fairness, absent the 2nd DUI, you could never get him for a ****ty player with next to no trade value like Burke. But you're not alone obviously. I get that thought process.

Considering the type of guys DL has acquired I don't see Lawson fitting in that mold. I'm assuming Lawson is owed more money than Burke I'd rather just unload Burke for a pack of condoms and use that money elsewhere at some point.

In fairness, absent the 2nd DUI, you could never get him for a ****ty player with next to no trade value like Burke. But you're not alone obviously. I get that thought process.

Word on the street is expirings would get him... Burke could be how Denver sells the trade to the fan base. I think it is still too early to give up on Trey. Layne Vashro has a player comparison tool that gives me hope... basically Burke compares to a bunch of decent pgs the year before they figured things out and made shots at a better clip. I think the most prudent course is to keep Burke and see how his first 10 to 15 games go and see what injuries happen. If he improves he's either a guy we keep or we can get much more than his current value from a team with a need.

here is Vashro's tool... https://nyloncalculus.com/stats/layne-vashros-nba-player-comparison-tool/

Any time someone gets busted for weed or fails a drug test for it, all I hear is how he wouldn't fit "the culture" here if someone suggests the Jazz bring him in.

Yet the Jazz should take on a drug addict who gets busted twice for a DUI in less than a year?

I would definitely do it.

Lawson is definitely the type of talent that you acquire (especially at the PG position) if it can be done so at a minimal cost/risk, which isn't meant to devalue his league-wide trade stock rather than to put his value to this roster/system/chemistry into perspective. The reason, imo, that you take a chance on a PG of his caliber/skill-set is that the team's success/future isn't dependent on his performance. I'm not completely aware of his current salary length/details, but as far as I remember, it is reasonable enough (especially as the cap increases) that there isn't a major financial risk involved with acquiring him.

My main concerns would be what his presence/influence on Exum would mean for his development & what type of affect he would have on our chemistry. I still think that those concerns are slightly over-stated due to the presence & leadership of Snyder, Hayward, Favors, Booker, Gobert, etc, but strictly speaking of Lawson's affect on the court, his skill-level could be the difference between this team being a 5th/6th seed (or possibly higher) with him as opposed to a 7th/8th seed (or possibly lower) without him. Based on his skill-set alone, he could be a great fit due to his ball-handling, outside shooting, driving, passing, & up-tempo style of play.

Even with his current (& past) issues off of the court, I don't see any feasible way of obtaining him without giving up a legitimate asset or two. I would be shocked (& ecstatic) if all it took were Burke & would likely go as far as Burks (pending Lawson's emotional/mental state & commitment/dedication to this franchise). I don't know what it would take to obtain him, but depending on the necessary assets, this is the type of buy-low(ish) acquisition that could pay major dividends in the future & potentially propel this team into that second-tier of NBA teams. Certainly a situation worth looking in to.

Last edited:
Any time someone gets busted for weed or fails a drug test for it, all I hear is how he wouldn't fit "the culture" here if someone suggests the Jazz bring him in.

Yet the Jazz should take on a drug addict who gets busted twice for a DUI in less than a year?

Strange post. Most(all?) of the responses prior to yours (including me as the OP) have suggested they actually shouldn't take him on.

Pass.

This is actually his THIRD DUI, just the second this year. He will almost certainly end up doing some jail time for this and frankly I doubt any team would want to trade for him right now. Burke for Lawson is an overpay.

This is actually his THIRD DUI, just the second this year. He will almost certainly end up doing some jail time for this and frankly I doubt any team would want to trade for him right now. Burke for Lawson is an overpay.

Hat trick status, tough to overlook that if you are looking add him to your team.

If I was a player I would never make comments about other cities, **** will bite you later lol

Sorry chocolate but 1 DUI is not ok. Imo if you get 1 DUI you shold lose your license for life. It's like letting murderer out of prison and allowing him to obtain a gun....

c2mzh9h.png

1Rjq8nb.png

Plus the dude is showing no drive, one DUI is okay people make mistakes, but two isn't show some restraint.

I think with his partying background he might need a "boring" city to save his career... and maybe his life.

Strange post. Most(all?) of the responses prior to yours (including me as the OP) have suggested they actually shouldn't take him on.

That's not entirely true. Most are saying they'd love him for cheap as long as it didn't ruin the team chemistry.

To me the question is absurd since I'm not sure why any team would take on a known drug addict who makes a ton of bad decisions.

But based on basketball reasons alone, and not him being a dumb addict, I'd still say no. Why add Lawson to the team when the Jazz are trying to develop Exum as the PG of the future? Sure you could move him to the two, but there's a log jam there as it is. Are you going to have him as a backup? I doubt he would accept that. Plus I'd rather have Cotton as a backup PG anyway in the sense that he would accept that role.