What's new

Burke Ranked as 30th Best PF By NBA Execs/Coaches/Players

That title is misleading. He can't be "Best", being 30th in the league means you're the "Worst" starting PG.

Trey is not a starter. A #30 ranking is actually pretty damn decent for a backup pg, no? Of course our current starter isn't in the top 30. I'm hoping that changes next year.

Draft is a crap shoot. Burke buried 3s at NBA range in college like nothing.
For whatever reason, he cannot consistently hit them in the pros.

I'd throw every penny of cap space I had at Goran this summer. It won't come close to getting him, but swing for the fences DL.

Yeah, that would include dropping Booker, forgetting about Tomic, and adding no other pieces in order to get to a few million UNDER a max contract. How about "NO?" Until a Maxed Point Guard comes close to winning the championship, I'll go ahead and let other teams make that mistake.

I think he's finding that he doesn't get as many open shots in the NBA, but he likes to shoot them anyway. He is failing to adjust to the reality that the competition is much higher in the NBA and realizing that he will not be able to do all of the same things he did in college.

Love Exum, and I'm not stressing out over his development until at least halfway through this upcoming season. . . but I'm not sure I'm buying that he'll be the best player on the Jazz unless he explodes when he's bigger. Knowing what we do about Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Burks and Hood. . . if Dante was the best player on the team, the Jazz will be amazing.

Hell, if Dante is the 3rd best player on the Jazz in two years the Jazz will be amazing.

Because now he plays for the name on the back of the jersey?

Trey is not a starter. A #30 ranking is actually pretty damn decent for a backup pg, no? Of course our current starter isn't in the top 30. I'm hoping that changes next year.

That is the problem. Trey wouldn't be a horrible backup if we had say Ty Lawson as a starter. When he starts chucking if he's off you sit him down. Since we need to rely on him when Dante is going through one of his "**** the bed" nights it is a real problem.

I would love to get Darren Collison or someone similar in the offseason.

I also don't think Trey is the #30 best PG...there are a bunch I would put ahead of him.

I think he's finding that he doesn't get as many open shots in the NBA, but he likes to shoot them anyway. He is failing to adjust to the reality that the competition is much higher in the NBA and realizing that he will not be able to do all of the same things he did in college.

This isn't true. I think Locke quoted a stat that he is one of the league's worst on uncontested 3s.

I do think he has a crappy shot selection, but he also misses open ones. He doesn't have a great shot. He needs to add arc or I doubt he'll ever be good.

This isn't true. I think Locke quoted a stat that he is one of the league's worst on uncontested 3s.

I do think he has a crappy shot selection, but he also misses open ones. He doesn't have a great shot. He needs to add arc or I doubt he'll ever be good.

That's really unfortunate then. Do you have a theory about why he has seemingly "lost his shot"?

That's really unfortunate then. Do you have a theory about why he has seemingly "lost his shot"?

Not sure he ever had an NBA 3. Its a significant move from the college line. I think his percentage being so low is in part due to controlling the ball too long and having to chuck a shot.

He made a lot of memorable shots in college... He only shot 38% in college. Not horrible, but also not light's out. His percentage would be around there if he backed off the bad shots a little more.

Based on Points Per Shot Trey is dead last in the league. DL needs to send this ranking around and then have an Ebay auction.

Not a good shooter, Not a good defender, Not a great passer, Does not get to the foul line... if he had one or two of these things it'd be okay.

Not sure he ever had an NBA 3. Its a significant move from the college line. I think his percentage being so low is in part due to controlling the ball too long and having to chuck a shot.

He made a lot of memorable shots in college... He only shot 38% in college. Not horrible, but also not light's out. His percentage would be around there if he backed off the bad shots a little more.

IIRC he was really good at shooting off the dribble in college. He did project to be a good shooter. There was the evidence of him struggling mightily vs the more elite college teams. Maybe you throw shooting #s out and go with that as a more reliable indicator from now on. Idk.

Just did a quick look at advanced stats and it is sooooo ugly for us at the PG position. Clearly Dante is a project and needs time, but both Trey and Dante are in the bottom 10 in true shooting percentage for point guards (they have Dante listed as a SG). The difference between the two is that Dante never shoots and is good on defense... Trey plays Trey ball and is not good at defense. I think this is the reason we are better since Dante moved into the starting lineup.

Clearly Dante needs to stay but I see no way we bring Trey back next year if we are trying to win/make the playoffs. We'd be better off giving Trey's minutes to Shelvin Mack, Norris Cole, Ray McCallum, or even maybe Ronnie Price. Trey's true shooting percentage is .457 and Ronnie's is .455. Just having a guy take less scoring opportunities while on the floor would be an improvement.

It will be addition by subtraction... anything we can get for him would be great.

Just did a quick look at advanced stats and it is sooooo ugly for us at the PG position. Clearly Dante is a project and needs time, but both Trey and Dante are in the bottom 10 in true shooting percentage for point guards (they have Dante listed as a SG). The difference between the two is that Dante never shoots and is good on defense... Trey plays Trey ball and is not good at defense. I think this is the reason we are better since Dante moved into the starting lineup.

Clearly Dante needs to stay but I see no way we bring Trey back next year if we are trying to win/make the playoffs. We'd be better off giving Trey's minutes to Shelvin Mack, Norris Cole, Ray McCallum, or even maybe Ronnie Price. Trey's true shooting percentage is .457 and Ronnie's is .455. Just having a guy take less scoring opportunities while on the floor would be an improvement.

It will be addition by subtraction... anything we can get for him would be great.

I would like to see them pick up a point guard project for cheap like they have done with some other players. With either Burks or Hood coming off the bench next year, they will not really need a lot of scoring from PG off the bench. Get someone who plays good defense and can pass. Then, they can try to adjust Trey's game. If he does and can learn to play the offense better, take higher percentage shots, and pass to the open man, then great. If not, make him 3rd string and eventually get rid of him.

I'm not convinced that Trey is a lost cause, but it simply can't continue like this.

Trade Burke for a ham sandwich.

Bring over Tomic and keep Boozer. Then draft a SG and sign a pass first back up PG

Gobert/Tomic
Favors/Booker
Hayward/Hood
Burks/(Oubre, Winslow, Johnson...)
Exum/FA back up PG.

Millsap, Motum, Cotton, Evans, Ingles to close out the bench

It kills me how bad utahs point guards have been for the past few seasons. I was absolutely pumped when we drafted trey. But now I don't want him. Bad defense bad shot selection. It's sad but I want him gone. Utah could really do some damage with an average point guard. Here's to hoping exum makes a Rudy like jump next season

People keep mentioning this cheap point guard that is willing to come to Utah and be a backup, but they never seem to give a realistic name of who this person will be. The Jazz have gotten those dudes. Their names are Milt Palacio, John Lucas the Third, and the Ghost of Jamal Tinsley. Straight off the turnip truck Trey was a tremendous upgrade to those guys. Do you remember how long we had to suffer through the Jon Crottys and Jimmy Leses before we fricken found Howard Eisley? Bring back Burks, get Tomic to add another distributer to the bench offense and Trey will be fine. Right now the team is asking him to do things he isn't capable of yet with almost nothing to work with at the guard line. The dude everyone keeps telling us we need to get rid of Trey for may exist, but those guys are valuable and aren't going to sign in Utah to play backup for pennies.