What's new

Burks at PG?

Mongoose

Just for the sake of debate... Is the experiment of Burks at PG long gone, and something never to be seen again? I realize that Burks isn't a great passer, but he is good with the ball, and he can score, and drive to the hoop. This way the Jazz don't give up the length advantage and Hayward or Hood can help facilitate at times. It doesn't help the log jam situation at PG already, but it is one way to at least get the best players on the court together.

Just for the sake of debate... Is the experiment of Burks at PG long gone, and something never to be seen again? I realize that Burks isn't a great passer, but he is good with the ball, and he can score, and drive to the hoop. This way the Jazz don't give up the length advantage and Hayward or Hood can help facilitate at times. It doesn't help the log jam situation at PG already, but it is one way to at least get the best players on the court together.

I mentioned this once or twice over the last day or so.

I'm quite sure there will be another experiment with Burks at the point this season (if we don't acquire a different one) and I think he will succeed at it

I'm a huge Burks fan and I can see the Jazz giving it a try. I don't know how well it'll go but it needs to be tried. He is quick and athletic and not as poor a passer as most people think. I'd prefer for him to start the season at SG so he can get use to playing his normal position in Quin's offense, as opposed to learning on the fly as the point guard.

Would love to see them give it a try, pre season may be an option

Why did they bother get 10 PGs if they're gonna play Burks at a position he's not comfortable playing? Also, We need someone who can score coming off the bench, and if Burks plays the point, then Hood is starting SG. Doesn't work.

Just give Neto a chance to see what he's made of, and Burke a second chance to improve.

Will probably get a chance at some point. Most likely he won't be able to stay in front of good ones.

NAOS as been mentioning this for at least a couple weeks now.

I think that the Exum injury makes it more likely that we will see some of this. Especially when Hayward and Hood are on the floor as well. PG by committee with Burks at the 1.

NAOS as been mentioning this for at least a couple weeks now.

I think that the Exum injury makes it more likely that we will see some of this. Especially when Hayward and Hood are on the floor as well. PG by committee with Burks at the 1.

This could be quite good offensively was well. Hayward, Hood and Burks can all shoot the 3. Burks is an elite driver and if his passing is good (thoughts anyone) he can either dish to Favors or Gobert or kick it out to Hayward or Hood for 3.

Burks is fast and tall enough to hang with most PGs on D. PGs with elite speed like CP3 would be a problem obviously.

i m sure we will give it a try at some point. i think he might play pg just for defensive purpose

Sent from the JazzFanz app

i m sure we will give it a try at some point. i think he might play pg just for defensive purpose

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Dante's injury could be a blessing in disguise. We have 3 points on the roster and between them they should be able to get the job done. Also Alec and the Cunningham from Summer League had his moments. Oliver Hanlan, who looked horrible in SL, could also be in the mix. If Dante is out for the year do the Jazz have to count him as 1 of the 15 for roster purposes?

Trey and Neto will be splitting time at PG.

BUT I wouldn't be surprised to see Burks Hood and Hayward finishing games. I actually would bet money that will be our closing lineup.

I'm sure we will see that line up a bunch this season. If Hood and Burks both start that makes our bench pretty weak so one of them will need to come off the bench as our 6th man. However, I could see a line up of Burks, Hood, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert finishing games.

I don't think of it as Burks at the point... I think of it as playing Burks, Hood, and Hayward at the same time. Sprinkle in some Ingles. Basically if the value of Burks being on the floor is greater than Burke et al... then run out the best players.

I don't worry about him guarding point guards he's pretty good on ball... may even help him be more effective. Off ball and help seems to be a bigger issue. Either way he won't be worse than Trey.

As far as playing point guard on offense I think Hood would be best at it. Runs PnR like a mother effer. I don't think we should do it all the time and don't think we should do it to start the game, but if it is your best lineup run it out there some... maybe even close with it.

I think it would cause problems for other teams on both sides of the court.

If we have Burks at PG, we have nobody coming off the bench who can score.

If Hayward plays 34 mins and Hood 30 that's 64 of the available 96 at the 2/3. If Jingles plays 20 again we are up to 84. There is 12 mins left. There is no reason imv that Burks can't play those 12 and 18-20 at the pg. That means either Burke and Neto split ~30 mins or we get a stating caliber pg to take them.

Why does Burks name constantly come up about running the point?

Hayward is a far better option for that. He creates so much better than Burks, and is a much better passer. He can even adequately guard point guards. Hayward already initiates the offense quite a bit.

But yet, for some reason, it's always let's have Burks do it. No! Burks wouldn't make for a good point guard.

If we didn't have Hayward, I'd still probably not like Burks running it. But we do have Hayward, and he's essentially a 6'8" point guard in the way that he plays.