What's new

Burks not available for contact?

Please don't compare burks to either presidential candidate. He is much more likeable and someone I trust to do his job more than either of those winners.

I do have a bad feeling about burks this year... I'm a fan but we are deep. He may be not be able to work into the rotation if he can't have consistent health.

I've said a couple of times a few months ago that Burks is likely to be traded by the deadline and I still think it will happen. There's already a logjam at the 2/3 and 1 and he has been injury-prone. Right now, he is an insurance in case any major wing gets injured. Also, I think management doesn't want to be seem as unfair - by both the players and the fans - by trading someone who is coming from consecutive injuries without giving him a chance to prove himself. Once the rotation is set, though, I believe he would be made available and some team will take a chance on him, since he still young and athletic.

I don't see a trade coming for Alec. I don't buy into the whole "Ingles may be more valuable based off the way we play" either. I have always been team Burks, I think he is a special talent. His contract is pretty awesome too. He can be a key piece and a huge contributor on a playoff team.

So if everyone stays healthy, where does Burks get his minutes? Hood will get the most at SG, but Hill will also get some backup minutes there. Not going to be spare minutes at the 3/4 either, so someone's going to end up feeling shafted.

And this has nothing to do with Jingles. He may not even get off the bench when everyone is healthy. The difference is that Joe is not in a position to be pissed off over playing time, where Burks, if healthy, could potentially be a starter somewhere.

So if everyone stays healthy, where does Burks get his minutes? Hood will get the most at SG, but Hill will also get some backup minutes there. Not going to be spare minutes at the 3/4 either, so someone's going to end up feeling shafted.

And this has nothing to do with Jingles. He may not even get off the bench when everyone is healthy. The difference is that Joe is not in a position to be pissed off over playing time, where Burks, if healthy, could potentially be a starter somewhere.

I'm not going to just assume that our players will get upset if they don't get the minutes they think they deserve. None of them have ever displayed anything that points toward that sort of attitude. Quin will give minutes to whoever is playing well and that could change from day to day, matchup to matchup. I think the team is too much of a unit, for this to be a big issue.

Not dismissing what you said, just presenting my thoughts.

I'm not going to just assume that our players will get upset if they don't get the minutes they think they deserve. None of them have ever displayed anything that points toward that sort of attitude. Quin will give minutes to whoever is playing well and that could change from day to day, matchup to matchup. I think the team is too much of a unit, for this to be a big issue.

Not dismissing what you said, just presenting my thoughts.

I'm not talking about 1 or 2 guys getting 5 minutes less than they think they deserve though. I'm talking about guys getting significantly less playing time than they should. And don't kid yourself, NBA players want to play, and very few guys in this league would be just fine with having their minutes cut in half on a regular basis.

Again, I think it's quite possible that injuries solve the minute distribution problem, but it IS going to be a problem if everyone stays healthy.

I'd trade Burks for a 2017 1st in a New York minute. Obviously, it would be a late 1st because that's all we'd be fortunate enough to get (at best) but regardless, if we traded him for what turned out to be the 25th pick, we'd have some really solid assets to move up (our pick, OKC pick hopefully, that pick, etc.) in what is a really good draft to get an even better cog. Maybe a really good pg should we not want to re-sign Hill but still want the two-headed pg monster along with Exum. Maybe a 2/3 combo since Burks will be gone and JJ will be at the very end of his career.

I don't see a trade coming for Alec. I don't buy into the whole "Ingles may be more valuable based off the way we play" either. I have always been team Burks, I think he is a special talent. His contract is pretty awesome too. He can be a key piece and a huge contributor on a playoff team.

He'll only be that if he learns to play smarter. Which he hasn't really in 5 years. If he shoots a bunch more threes and is more selective driving and ramps up his D he could be really good in this team.

I disagree that we have too much depth. There WILL be injuries. Wherever they occur, Jazz would then have the right depth. The whole idea is to get away from playing guys like CJ, Ingles, Neto, etc unless it's garbage time.

And I agree with HH. Keep Alec until Gordon makes his decision. If Jazz give Hayward $30m then there won't be enough $ to keep all the starters + Burk + Lyles.

I'd trade Burks for a 2017 1st in a New York minute. Obviously, it would be a late 1st because that's all we'd be fortunate enough to get (at best) but regardless, if we traded him for what turned out to be the 25th pick, we'd have some really solid assets to move up (our pick, OKC pick hopefully, that pick, etc.) in what is a really good draft to get an even better cog. Maybe a really good pg should we not want to re-sign Hill but still want the two-headed pg monster along with Exum. Maybe a 2/3 combo since Burks will be gone and JJ will be at the very end of his career.

If that's all we could get, I think HH is right in that we keep him until the Gordo situation plays out. However, if he had a stretch of games where he goes off and looks to be breaking out, I do think we might get someone to bite on paying for the chance to gamble on him at the deadline, assuming he stays healthy until then.

Why are we trying to trade Burks for assets? This guy is can be a legitimate contributor on a good contract. We can use a player like Burks. He does things a lot of guys can't do. Feel free to do the math for me but I definitely can see Burks getting minutes. Sure, it won't be 30 but he isn't out of the rotation. You have to think just talent-wise the rotation is Hill/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert with Exum, Burks, Johnson, Lyles, and Diaw off the bench. 10-man rotation. You'd figure Neto, Mack (who I think is the most likely moveable piece if we are talking about moving players), Ingles, Bolomboy and whoever else makes the roster will be riding the bench.

Why are we trying to trade Burks for assets? This guy is can be a legitimate contributor on a good contract. We can use a player like Burks. He does things a lot of guys can't do. Feel free to do the math for me but I definitely can see Burks getting minutes. Sure, it won't be 30 but he isn't out of the rotation. You have to think just talent-wise the rotation is Hill/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert with Exum, Burks, Johnson, Lyles, and Diaw off the bench. 10-man rotation. You'd figure Neto, Mack (who I think is the most likely moveable piece if we are talking about moving players), Ingles, Bolomboy and whoever else makes the roster will be riding the bench.

I like Burks and don't want to trade him, but developing players need time on the court. With everyone healthy, I just don't see a way that it won't be an issue. I do agree with Stifle that there will almost certainly be injuries, but depending on how that goes, there could STILL be an issue. I just started a minute distribution thread, so I'm interested in seeing how others think it will work out.

I just can`t see one single scenario where it would make sense to trade Alec Burks this season. If we trade him now, he has no value due to his ton of injuries. If he does not play well this season, he still has no trade value. If he plays well and the team plays well, we need to be as good as we can be in the play-offs and should not move him. If he plays well and the team plays bad, it means that other players are underperforming, making room for him to play more.

We might move AB next summer, but I would be extremely surprised to see us do it this year.

There's already a logjam at the 2/3

Actually I see it like this:
3 position groups. Pg, wings, bigs.
1 point guard position for 4 key guys to fight over. (Exum, hill, neto, mack are all primarily pg)
2 big positions for 5 guys to fight over. (Gobert, favors, diaw, lyles, JJ are all primarily bigs imo)
2 wing positions for 3 guys to fight over. (Hood, Hayward, Burks are primarily wings imo)

Seems like wing is the least logjammed position to me.

(I didn't include players like withey, cj, ingles, bolomboy etc cause I don't think that they are "key" players. Maybe I shouldn't have included neto in the pg group but I think he showed enough to be a #2 pg)

Of course Burks could play some pg, Hayward could play some at the big (4) spot, JJ and exum could play some at the wing.... But I was just going off the position group that I think each player is best at.

What's the saying? Three strikes and your out. Seems like he just hit that mark.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'll give one: Burks becoming disgruntled by playing only 15 minutes per game and hurting the camaraderie in the locker room. It can happen.

I figure Burks will end up averaging more like 20-25 min a night. From what I've heard I think the staff is selling the team on a long season (100 + games) to where 20-25 min a night becomes ideal to keep players fresh for the playoffs. The quote I'm thinking of was from DL in reference to Hayward playing less, maybe not getting his #'s but being more interested in the teams record.