What's new

"Businesses don't create jobs"

The opposite notion, that businesses create jobs, is not entirely true. I'd say demand creates jobs, businesses facilitate the fulfillment of that demand by employing people who produce or serve that which meets the demand. No one thing can really exist without the other. As with most things a balance is required.

GF the Big Classic.

Businesses create jobs in order to fulfill market demand. I don't think "demand creates jobs" is a more meaningful statement since demand is an abstract concept, and not an actor that can perform action.

lol STFU smart trying to play way too smart guy.

So was Hillary taken out of context? Is she right? Is she wrong? Do I care? Cheese?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/25/hillary-clinton-business-jobs_n_6046856.html

Some context:

I'd wager she had planned to say "Don’t let anybody tell you that it's tax cuts for corporations and businesses that create jobs." Anyone who has followed her career would probably realize that.

If she meant exactly what she said, instead of it being a misquote, she would be wrong, both about businesses not creating jobs, and about trickle-down economics doing away with businesses. I find it very unlikely she made both of those errors.

Damn, I was hoping one brow would simply answer the OP with "cheese"

(anybody who has paid attention to my political comments will know that I loathe the Clintons.)

That's weird. I've been thinking you were kinda smart. Now, not so much.
-
Bring back big boobies without the opinion...YAY!!!!!

Also, if Lefty Jace is part of this thread, I'd really like it if he took his old name back.
-
Just sayin', cuz old school rulz.

I don't pay too much mind to the campaigning tricks of each party but I do know I'll be voting democrat in the next several Presidential elections because I saw what W. did to this country and how we've barely started to recover. Luckily the majority remembers what a disaster it was with a conservative in office so the democrats will win again. Thank God for that.

Fine and dandy! We want candy!

well, it seems like the appropriate time for this...

attachment.php

I took it as a tired person repeating even more tired political rhetoric and the output coming off as lazy. Which it was.

To add to GF and Siro.. sometimes businesses do create jobs void of existing demand. In fact, most every demand was born in th his way.

Taxes do make starting and running a small business way more difficult. A simplification of the tax code I think would go a long way to enhance the entrepreneurial spirit. Honestly it is super intimidating and often the thing that the average joe is least prepared to deal with.

To add to GF and Siro.. sometimes businesses do create jobs void of existing demand. In fact, most every demand was born in th his way.

true, true, true...

so here's my armchair analysis -

start with needs
then add creative and innovative people to come up with new ways to meet those needs
which leads to wants, as others want access to these new ways
which leads to the creation of businesses to provide ways for others to access the new ways to meet these wants

and then somehow it ends up in markets, and supply and demand and an economy and economists talking about it

which leads to NAOS, Franklin, One Brow and Pearl Watson arguing about it all

end of story - good night now, children
:)

The opposite notion, that businesses create jobs, is not entirely true. I'd say demand creates jobs, businesses facilitate the fulfillment of that demand by employing people who produce or serve that which meets the demand. No one thing can really exist without the other. As with most things a balance is required.

Businesses create jobs in order to fulfill market demand. I don't think "demand creates jobs" is a more meaningful statement since demand is an abstract concept, and not an actor that can perform action.

Alright. But without demand business fails. It may be an abstract concept but it obviously has a tangible effect.

In some cases businesses create their own demand, and what we as consumers demand is often shaped by our options. I certainly don't want to minimize the role of business in the scheme of things, but business doesn't exist for the sake of business, and jobs don't exist as some benevolent effort by business to employ people for the sake of employment.

It's bigger than that. The economy as a whole either creates or eliminates jobs to achieve balance. When the economy is out of whack, so to speak, one way or the other, then there will be a glut of jobs or a dearth of them and then businesses are prompted to create or eliminate jobs. But this is a bit disingenuous, as you can always push almost everything up to a higher organizational level. I think it is fully valid to consider that job creation happens and has it's greatest impact at the business and individual level, and becomes somewhat muddled and trivialized at the global economic level.

Damn, I was hoping one brow would simply answer the OP with "cheese"

I cannot understand why you don't have the highest rep points. I guess you need to post more or something.

Last edited:
One can also view that as demand being there regardless, but its scope and nature is undiscovered.

Also, even if there are 8,000,000 businesses selling paperclips, 'demand' is too complex to be understood entirely.

One can also view that as demand being there regardless, but its scope and nature is undiscovered.

Also, even if there are 8,000,000 businesses selling paperclips, 'demand' is too complex to be understood entirely.

If we keep going, we may prove God exists.

Why don't you get a personal forum? That's the sensible thing to do. Or, you should probably just PM Stoked so you two can bitch together.

How did I get called into this since I am one of the people that likes you the most?

Thirsty much?